Gransnet forums

Health

Dentist needed

(85 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Thu 07-May-20 11:46:03

Can anyone point me in the direction of accessing a dentist all dentists at the moment appear to be closed. I had dental implants with crowns over a year ago and due to my recent Event Ive become a teeth grinder and broken the cement between the crowns and the implants this has resulted in food getting under the implants and tender gums

Grannygrumps1 Fri 08-May-20 09:46:29

Cossybabe is correct. Most chemist do dental repair kits also, I know that my Tesco Extra usually has them. Rather than run round try to find if anyone has it in stock. Have a ring round or ask at a local pharmacy and they should get one ordered for you.
I believe the repair kit works a bit like chewing gum but then sets. This obviously is only a temporary measure but at least you won’t do any more damage.

PamSJ1 Fri 08-May-20 09:53:04

I have a damaged tooth. Fortunately not yet causing any pain. I have ordered a temporary repair kit online but it will not arrive until at least the 13th. Hope it doesn't get worse.

Helen369 Fri 08-May-20 09:55:17

I’m surprised to read that some of you have accessed treatment at emergency hubs. I broke part of a crown a few weeks ago and rang my dentist for advice. I was told dentists can only prescribe analgesia and antibiotics and that there weren’t any of the emergency hubs that were supposed to have been set up actually operating yet. I was given an appointment with my regular dentist for the end of July, fingers crossed my tooth hangs on until then!

rizlett Fri 08-May-20 09:57:16

Call 111 (wait a long time) but eventually when you get through they will assess you to see if you need an emergency dentist and will then give the number you need to call to arrange an appointment. It's unlikely to be your dentist and could be a fair distance away but likely that you'd be seen on the same day if they felt your symptoms were severe enough.

kittylester Fri 08-May-20 10:01:31

I think Denplan have offered either a reduction or payment holiday. But private dentists will also be subject to the spray.

Some private dentists will probably go bankrupt, I expect.

pce612 Fri 08-May-20 10:03:11

Corsodyl is the best mouthwash, will help clear up gum problems, do try it. There is a toothpaste too.

jaylucy Fri 08-May-20 10:09:41

There are some dentists that are doing emergency treatment . I believe each town is supposed to have at least one available, but finding one on a Bank Holiday as well might be more of a problem.
Hopefully you will get a call back but dealing with implants is slightly more different to normal teeth!

piano0156 Fri 08-May-20 10:10:47

I broke a piece off a top back molar and was told that my dentist wasn't treating anyone.They are trying to set up an emergency hub.I was told that if it was catching on my mouth to use a nail file.I was also told to phone 111 if things got worse.I wouldn't be a risk to the dentist as I have been in isolation since the start of lock down and it would be a staightforward job.There would be more of a risk to me than to the dentist.Just trying to keep the area clean.

Skweek1 Fri 08-May-20 10:24:29

DS's BBF has serious phobia about seeing dentist, but for last couple of months she's suffered terrible pain - we tried everything to arrange access to help. Her own dentist is closed, all other emergency services either not answering phone or unable/unwilling to help. We eventually arranged for DS to go with her to local hospital's Urgent Care centre, where she was at least given pain killers and antibiotics, but we think it's an impacted wisdom tooth, so she's got to get proper treatment as soon as possible. But for those in a similar situation, recommend A&E as stopgap measure. Good luck, everyone.

Susie60g Fri 08-May-20 10:36:36

My Dentist has opened again for emergency's only

Sarahmob Fri 08-May-20 10:54:49

I had to contact my dentist a fortnight ago after severe pain from an infection. I was triaged over the phone and told a prescription would be ready for me to collect. When I arrived, a nurse in full PPE was waiting at the door, she opened it a crack and asked my name, then went, found the prescription and holding it in a litter picker extended it out of the door for me to pick up. It was a bit scary at the time but I can laugh about it now and I do understand the necessity of it.

LinDe Fri 08-May-20 11:02:27

I broke a the back off my tooth and this has left a jagged edge/back of the existing filling which is causing pain in my tongue from rubbing. I am also having to use the temporary repair kit which I bought online. And which keeps falling out every time I chew on it! I would be happy to have the tooth out and a crown put in as I want to have all my metal filling removed any way, but when I will be able to do this I can't imagine!

kittylester Fri 08-May-20 11:19:10

susie, if that is true he is breaking current regulations.

Natasha76 Fri 08-May-20 11:24:40

This is going to sound ridiculous but I was getting lots of swollen gums and a lot of pain which resulted in me needing deep periodontal cleaning. Whilst I was waiting for my appointment the periodontist advised me to pop a tea bag in boiling water then squeeze out the water and wrap it around my gum & tooth for 20 minutes. You need a ramekin of small pot because it really makes you produce a lot of saliva. The end of the story is that it took the pain away and reduced the swelling and I had my treatment & all is well. I have passed this tip on to 2 friends who both had an abscess & they said it worked brilliantly. Its supposedly something to do with the tannins in the tea. Some days I had to do it 4 times a day sometimes twice. Two other points I had been given antibiotics so we knew there was no current infection & be careful because the tea bag can be very hot.

melp1 Fri 08-May-20 11:38:40

Lost a filling, called dentist was told they're only seeing clients in pain or losing blood. Got an emergency repair kit from boots & refilled it myself its works and seems OK.grin

Lynmary Fri 08-May-20 11:41:26

Yes, the situation with Dentists is appalling considering they are a primary health care service IMHO. Let's face it, full on toothache is off the pain scale! I have a problem at the moment but have contained it with a good (bug killing!) mouth-wash. Also use Manuka Honey which I think helps too. I use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth also. Tried it all and it is containing things at the moment fortunately. I had two appts. with the Dentist and they texted me to say cancelled!
Health Warning: As an allergy person myself, polite reminder for you to check the things I have mentioned, mouthwash/manuka honey will suit you!

leeds22 Fri 08-May-20 11:41:49

Nephew is a private dentist and he wishes he could get the virus, get it over with and go back to work. His company is currently doing a rota for emergencies.

Craftycat Fri 08-May-20 11:51:08

Do try your own dentist first.
Ours has left several texts saying to call them if you need help & they will advise.

Lulubelle500 Fri 08-May-20 11:55:10

Our local councillor is well on the deck with every question I had about emergencies during the lockdown. As far as dental emergencies: if your dentist hasn't left a detailed message on his 'phone (which he should have!) your local hospital will tell you what to do. But try your councillor furst, it's his or her job to tell you this stuff.

Lulubelle500 Fri 08-May-20 11:56:47

Sorry, first!

Greeneyedgirl Fri 08-May-20 11:57:52

Unfortunately dental hygienists and dentists are amongst the riskiest occupations for catching the virus, and I guess it's also the safety of the staff, and as someone has said, deep cleaning after each patient to take into consideration, even if suitable PPE was available.

I don't think it would make any difference if a dentist had previously had Coronovirus. They may not retain immunity anyway.

I am on a wing and a prayer with deep fillings and crowns. It's like mediaeval times again where people are pulling their own teeth!

craftyone Fri 08-May-20 11:58:32

my dd is a dentist, one of the minority who can do sedations. No dental practice can be operational at the moment and emergency centres only started being operational a very short time ago. They are very few and far between, lucky to have one in a large county. Emergency treatment will mean tooth extraction rather than saving a tooth

There are not many nhs dentists as it is and they have been co-opted to work in the emergency centres, many have opted to do without pay rather than run the huge risk of working within aerosol accelerated virus. Several dentists are already leaving the profession, they feel very let down eg they only started getting ppe a couple of weeks ago. This situation will snowball

Don`t blame the dentists btw, they want to care for their patients. They can protect themselves with good ppe to some extent but can certainly not protect their patients because aerosol sends virus into all the airspace and onto surfaces

Even if my dd had the virus the surgery could not open because it would not be at all safe for patients and staff and no dentist wants to take the virus home to family

Phloembundle Fri 08-May-20 12:19:10

I'm with Smile dental. They have sent me several messages telling me not to worry if I need urgent treatment because they will arrange it.

Elizabeth1 Fri 08-May-20 12:30:44

MayBe7O be careful when using corsodyl I was advised by a dentist to only use it for a short period of time as it will grey your teeth taking ages for them to be look white again. Best to use the daily corsodyl

grandtanteJE65 Fri 08-May-20 12:44:11

Don't British dentists wear masks while treating patients?

Here they have done so, since AIDS put in its appearance.

I do know that a surgical mask prevents the patient more than the dentist, but it must help to some extent.

Here too, hospital casualty departments have dentists on stand-by.