Gransnet forums

Health

Covid symptoms

(119 Posts)
Nickysmadhouse Mon 14-Sep-20 08:21:03

Morning all!
So yesterday i woke with a nasty ‘common cold’, later in the evening whilst chopping spring onions realised i couldnt smell them, or anything or taste.
I work with children and have been advised to get a test, easier said than done ?
However i am thinking its not unusual to lose taste and smell with a cold, should i just push to go back to work untested?
Many thanks xx

PamelaJ1 Mon 14-Sep-20 09:42:33

Nickysmadhouse

Thanks all, it was from the children i got the cold ?
Im trying online and 119 Since last night to book the test.... no joy, its too busy, anyone know any other ways to get a test? X

There are private testing labs. You do have to pay but f you are losing money and are very anxious it may be worth it.

Xrgran Mon 14-Sep-20 09:43:42

No

Nickysmadhouse Mon 14-Sep-20 09:44:23

Ahhh thankyou will look into private xx

Teddy123 Mon 14-Sep-20 09:44:43

P. S. Forgot to say grandson 'only' had a high temperature.

LindyB Mon 14-Sep-20 09:45:05

No you should not go to work. Loss of taste and smell is one of the symptoms. My son was told by NHS if you cannot get a test and have any one of the prescribed symptoms you should act as if you have a positive Covid-19 and issolate for 14 days from onset of symptoms.

hilz Mon 14-Sep-20 09:46:14

Absolutely you should get a test and isolate. Dangerous not to I would have thought.

kwest Mon 14-Sep-20 09:46:59

I have had a letter offering me the chance to enter a 'test at home trial,' with a result in 15 minutes, . It is just a finger tip blood test to check for antibodies to see if I've had it already.
I have no symptoms of illness and due to go away for a short time. I will do the test (it has not arrived yet) within a couple of weeks. I have to be accepted onto the trial first of all.

Tricia55 Mon 14-Sep-20 09:49:04

Hi Nickysmadhouse,
I would definitely say a great big no to work.
As for testing have you tried online for a home test? I got one the next day, although I live in the Highlands of Scotland. I've spoken to others who say they also got theirs promptly.
I hope you get a test very soon
It does sound iffy.
Tricia.

Babs758 Mon 14-Sep-20 09:51:00

My you g niece has it. She is a doctor in a and e. She was very surprised that she had lost her sense of smell
And said it was weird. She was too ill to drive to the test centre. The home test arrived within two days but the results took 5 days to confirm positive.

Daisymae Mon 14-Sep-20 09:55:37

I think that the government need to reiterate the testing criteria, equally they should highlight who does not need a test. Otherwise it's quite clear that the system will grind to a halt. I know that it's been done but this message needs repeating. As has been said you need to test or isolate for 2 weeks as loss of sense of smell is a red flag.

Smurf44 Mon 14-Sep-20 09:57:42

A friend lives in Northampton. She is a Reception teacher and her small son had Covid symptoms. They were advised to have tests and were offered slots in Dundee in Scotland - several hundred miles away.
Another friend in rural Staffs, near Alton Towers, is unable to book any slots near there for her 70 year old husband with a bad cough as all slots are “fully booked”. ?. It seems the Testing system really is not working well at all! They are currently having to self isolate, which is very inconvenient as she has a Caring role for a neighbour. No wonder folk are carrying on as usual when it is so difficult/impossible to get a test.

Jolly27 Mon 14-Sep-20 09:58:17

Have you tried to book online ? If you have with no luck log back out then go back on and enter a different postcode (close to you) and try keep doing that then the Algorithms allocate a test available
GOOD LUCK ALL ! This is why the figures are not anywhere near accurate or capturing the amount infected with Covid-19

Neilspurgeon0 Mon 14-Sep-20 10:03:45

No, get tested and stay at home

moonlight Mon 14-Sep-20 10:04:30

are you mad, you work with children you must isolate and get a test, if you dont have covid at least you will not be spreading your cold to others

Pat123 Mon 14-Sep-20 10:05:07

Where do you live? You may find that your local hospital has drive-in tests for patients

GoldenAge Mon 14-Sep-20 10:07:29

No - you have the classic symptoms - you should get a test however difficult it might prove and while you’re at it send an email to your MP letting him or her know that you work with children and can’t get a test easily - if we don’t hold the system up to scrutiny this pandemic will continue to do its worst.

silvercollie Mon 14-Sep-20 10:08:15

What a stupid question!!
It is asked despite all the publicity surrounding being tested the moment potential symptoms appear!
Honestly, will people NEVER learn!

Nannapat1 Mon 14-Sep-20 10:08:24

Loss of taste and smell would be a high alert for me. I've also had and got over a nasty streaming head cold and if anything my sense of smell was enhanced (I'm very allergic)
Getting a test is currently a real problem, either drive to or home test kit being sent. Nevertheless I wouldn't go in with a heavy head cold, test or no test. Isn't quarantine period 10 days from onset of symptoms now?

Nickysmadhouse Mon 14-Sep-20 10:13:05

I’ve tried online countless times this morning whilst on hold to 119 who told me nothing available, its soooo frustrating
A friend told me they are doing drive through at my local county hall and not turning any one away, but if there are no bookable tests i cant see how?

weeducky Mon 14-Sep-20 10:15:09

This is not just a 'flu epidemic it is a VIRAL PANDEMIC and every country in the world is struggling to control it in their own way. Not one country has the answer yet. If you have even a smidgeon of doubt at all...self isolate. Also I would add take a test wisely one day you may be negative but a couple of days later it could well be positive.

RillaofIngleside Mon 14-Sep-20 10:16:35

My son just went to the local walk-in centre, after failing to be able to book a test on-line all day. He found the place on the Borough web-site. When he told them he had symptoms they just let him in.

suziewoozie Mon 14-Sep-20 10:18:51

Nicky it seems as though some test centres are not on the national data base and therefore don’t come up as having capacity. A local friend ( Surrey/Sussex) after trying for over 24 hours, heard on the grapevine that new availability of tests came on line at 8pm every evening. She went on then and literally had her pick of local centres - worth a try?

jenpax Mon 14-Sep-20 10:20:09

I have been trying to get a test for DGS (10) I think it’s just a cold but better safe than sorry. In the meantime he’s off school after 6 months of no school! It’s very frustrating as there are no tests available locally, or for the postal delivery, so I don’t know how long he will be away for.

Nannan2 Mon 14-Sep-20 10:21:56

NO, of course not! My son has shielded himself since march till he had to return to college- as he usually catches every bug going- due to neuro condition& asthma, he went back and now had 3days off as hes been sick& poorly for a week now!(& he was extra careful, with 2 masks on all day!& hand wash & gel etc.even wore gloves to use computer)we did test still waiting reply.He caught it college though, whatever bug it is, theres no doubt!angry

Nickysmadhouse Mon 14-Sep-20 10:25:53

Many thanks for this info, im just waiting for county hall to get back to me if i can indeed just ‘drive through’ if not will be doing the 8pm!