Gransnet forums

Health

Covid symptoms

(118 Posts)
Nickysmadhouse Mon 14-Sep-20 08:21:03

Morning all!
So yesterday i woke with a nasty ‘common cold’, later in the evening whilst chopping spring onions realised i couldnt smell them, or anything or taste.
I work with children and have been advised to get a test, easier said than done ?
However i am thinking its not unusual to lose taste and smell with a cold, should i just push to go back to work untested?
Many thanks xx

BlueBelle Mon 14-Sep-20 08:23:44

No

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 14-Sep-20 08:25:15

i work with children

Of course you should get a test!!

And stay at home until you get a negative result.

FarNorth Mon 14-Sep-20 08:29:27

No.
Stay away from others and get a test.

BlueSky Mon 14-Sep-20 08:30:09

Get tested I did with a tight chest and abnormal sense of smell. You can book on line, quick results day after.

M0nica Mon 14-Sep-20 08:31:31

No

Nickysmadhouse Mon 14-Sep-20 08:33:08

Thanks all, it was from the children i got the cold ?
Im trying online and 119 Since last night to book the test.... no joy, its too busy, anyone know any other ways to get a test? X

MerylStreep Mon 14-Sep-20 08:37:22

Go online and look in your area for a drive in test, as I did.

BlueBelle Mon 14-Sep-20 08:40:23

Well just because the children or a child gave you the ‘ cold’ which might not be a cold You can’t just go in and hand it out to all those that don’t have any symptoms
I m amazed a person working with groups (whether children or adults) needs to ask us if you should be at work with possible Covid symptoms

Kate54 Mon 14-Sep-20 08:53:56

I can sort of see the OP’s point - the ‘traditional’ Covid symptoms are not present so it can be a bit of a dilemma. But I agree, when children are involved, best to get the ‘highly sought after’ test.
I also have a stinking head cold, no idea where I caught it as have been taking all the precautions. Shows how easy it is...

Cabbie21 Mon 14-Sep-20 08:58:34

My daughter who has teenage children has been trying for four days to get a test, without success.
My student granddaughter, on the other hand, has had a letter inviting her inviting her to have a test sent by post.
Where is the logic?

suziewoozie Mon 14-Sep-20 09:02:23

Contact your MP for help about where to get a test

ExD Mon 14-Sep-20 09:04:28

Its 80 - 90 miles from here to a drive-in testing centre. My DIL tried to get one online (sent through the post) but it took nearly a week to arrive, and she's still waiting for the result 8 days later (yes I know there was a weekend in the middle). In reality - another 2 days and her fortnight is up and she won't need a test.
Meanwhile all our 'bubble's' lives have been turned upside down by having to self isolate for a week.
It could be part of the reason why we have this 'spike' - people are having to wait too long for the tests.

suziewoozie Mon 14-Sep-20 09:14:05

Cabbie your dgd invite must be to take part in a research study - nothing to do with having a test because of symptoms.

Nickysmadhouse Mon 14-Sep-20 09:18:03

Trying to get a test today is like pulling teeth ?
Btw i wasn’t being flippant, Just trying to get some advice, all the children are still coming in to school full of cold, one child told us their Mummy told her not to cough!!!

Will keep on hold to 119 whilst trying online simultaneously ?

Blinko Mon 14-Sep-20 09:18:16

TT&T is still a shambles, clearly. Whatever the Government tries to assert to the contrary.

Oopsminty Mon 14-Sep-20 09:22:50

My daughter is a Year 1 teacher and had a cold

She ordered a test online and received it the day after

Aepgirl Mon 14-Sep-20 09:32:46

Of course you shouldn’t go to work. You don’t need to get tested unless the symptoms get worse - just self-isolate. Surely that’s commonsense.

hicaz46 Mon 14-Sep-20 09:33:58

I can’t believe that someone is even asking this question when loss of smell and taste is a known symptom of Covid 19.

shysal Mon 14-Sep-20 09:35:25

I know a school worker who has a sore throat. The only available test was in Edgbaston and she lives in Oxford. She will just isolate instead. Crazy!

suziewoozie Mon 14-Sep-20 09:35:27

I thought you were supposed to have a test if you had symptoms not just self-isolate

dianne2265 Mon 14-Sep-20 09:35:36

I really cannot believe you have to ask the question. We are having another spike in Covid because people are not making the right decision - you need to be tested. The kids may not get it as such but if they pass it on to a vulnerable person or elderly grandparent it could cause severe illness even death. People are just too complacent.

Mollygo Mon 14-Sep-20 09:37:47

No.
Just self isolate and apply for a test if there’s no centre near you either straight away or if the symptoms persist.

lindyloo1958 Mon 14-Sep-20 09:41:21

Definitely NO

Teddy123 Mon 14-Sep-20 09:42:11

No! My 18 month old grandson was sent home from nursery last week until he got a negative test (which he did the next day).

Says it all! I hope you're negative but it's imperative that you have a test.