Gransnet forums

Health

Giving up Smoking - did you pack it up?

(28 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 10-Jan-21 17:46:25

I started work in 1962 and I started smoking because almost everyone smoked. You shared them with your friends, passing the packet round. Embassy gave coupons which you saved and ordered things from the catalogue. On pay day I bought Benson and Hedges (posh) and at the end of the month it was Cadets (cheap). I gave up in 1976 because the price had gone up to 50p and I couldn’t afford it. Best thing I ever did for my health and my pocket h,. How much does a pack of 20 cigarettes cost now?

silverlining48 Fri 15-Jan-21 19:28:43

I used to buy 5 untipped Weights with a friend for 11d (5p) and share the 5 th. I was very young, and extremely foolish.
Was never a heavy smoker and gave up fir good mid 70 s when I was first pregnant. Absolutely hate it and so pleased neither of my children or their partners smoke.

mrsmopp Tue 19-Jan-21 23:36:55

When I packed up it was my new year resolution. I put a jam jar on the window sill and vowed to put 50p in the jar each day - the price of 20 cigarettes. I used the money to buy a sheep skin jacket which I loved. Didn’t need the jam jar after that. Mission accomplished!