Gransnet forums

Health

Do you wake up in the morning feeling refreshed?

(79 Posts)
Shinamae Fri 30-Apr-21 10:30:39

Despite having between seven and nine hours sleep a night(but usually getting up-once when nature calls) I do not wake up feeling refreshed I wake up totally sluggish and have to drag myself out of bed and l can’t understand it.... I do have friends that manage to leap out of bed full of the joys of spring, how I wish I were one of them....

watermeadow Tue 04-May-21 17:47:24

Yes, I’m wide awake and ready to get up but the clock usually says around 2.30.
I fall straight to sleep at bedtime but for several years I haven’t been able to stay asleep. It’s worse now that I’m taking steroids and the top side effect is insomnia.

Shinamae Tue 04-May-21 19:07:40

I wasn’t a good sleeper at all but for the last few weeks I have been and don’t know whether it might be down to taking a magnesium supplement at night..... still feel like death warmed up in the morning even after a good nights sleep...?

kissngate Tue 04-May-21 19:14:48

Never have jumped out of bed full of the joys of spring. Takes me an hour to come round. I dont stay in bed but like to make a big mug of tea and some breakfast and sit quietly for a while. Once Ive done that I'm fine.

natalijennifer25 Wed 05-May-21 06:11:24

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BigBertha1 Wed 05-May-21 06:53:09

I only get a few hours sleep a night and the mornings are a slow start for me too due to arthritis.

Juliet27 Wed 05-May-21 07:09:25

I should imagine most of us would wake up bright and breezy if we had something exciting to look forward to.

Craftycat Thu 06-May-21 10:41:33

I usually get up & make a cup of tea & take it back to bed & listen to Radio 4. I do not buy a newspaper or see TV news very often so this is where I get my news from.
I usually get up about 8.30 ish as cats are then clamouring for breakfast. DH tends to stay in bed as late as he can but he does not come to bed until the early hours.

sue01 Thu 06-May-21 10:45:17

Shinamae - give the Leslie Sansone home exercise programmes a go.

She was featured on here and got a lot of rave reviews .... there are a number to choose from ... 15 mins, 30, 45.... and we find them really good to do first thing.

And when I say "we", I mean DH and I. He would never ever have joined an exercise class at the gym, but has taken to these luck a duck to water.

Find her on Google - and the very best of luck. Sue x

Moggycuddler Thu 06-May-21 10:46:13

Never. I have to drag myself out of bed. Sometimes I sleep well, sometimes fitfully. Been suffering from bad restless legs recently. Once I'm up and had a shower and had my pain killers (for spinal problems) I feel more with-it.

inishowen Thu 06-May-21 10:49:58

Sadly I wake up aching all over. I feel sluggish but what can i do. I dont sleep well any more.

Theoddbird Thu 06-May-21 10:55:35

Sometimes, sometimes not....

Flo53 Thu 06-May-21 11:06:38

Even when I’ve slept right through, I seldom wake up refreshed. I often wake around 4.30-5.00am, read my Kindle for a bit, fall back asleep and wake up feeling even worse!

Rosalyn69 Thu 06-May-21 11:07:57

I sleep well until about 5.30. I don’t mind as it gives me half an hour to check the news and stuff on my phone until I feel completely human.

polnan Thu 06-May-21 11:08:04

oh gosh, is this not nice of me, but I feel so much better for reading these posts... living alone for the first time, EVER, in all my long years,, I tend to think what I am going through is just ME!

and it isn`t.... so I wake up a little down in the dumps,, well.. you know.... but then make myself meditate, and eventually come round a bit.

Brigidsdaughter Thu 06-May-21 11:13:00

MaizieD Ramblingrose22 and OP.
I'm dreadful in the mornings. Even as a child I did not like getting up but it's much worse now. My Fitbit gives good analysis and its becoming clear that I need to go to bed earlier as I'm now waking earlier even though I'm like a zombie!
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis some years back - so I know that's a root cause.
It's so good to read that I'm not on my own about mornings as it often seems like I'm lazy as most people seem to be up v early and busying themselves.

Rowsie Thu 06-May-21 11:16:24

I can't remember ever getting out of bed enthusiastically. No matter how much I sleep when I wake up I am sluggish. I just put it down to being more of an owl than a lark and my family know not to bother me in the mornings! It doesn't take long for me to come round but waking up bright eyed and bushy tailed? Never!

Redhead56 Thu 06-May-21 11:17:11

I spent over two years (after retirement) getting up 5.30 am to help with GD for twelve hours. Some weeks two days some more. When I stopped this I stayed in bed as late as possible as a treat!
I am a night owl now I go to bed late after a night cap or two ?. I have my alarm which is my arthritic knee I don’t wake up refreshed at all.

Scullion52 Thu 06-May-21 11:18:14

Sometimes, does anyone in the world do so all there life?

Greciangirl Thu 06-May-21 11:20:22

Another one here who only sleeps for around five to six hours, if I’m lucky.
Of course, I wake up feeling groggy until I’ve had a cup of tea . I have good days and bad days.

I’m mostly lacking in energy though.

Lollin Thu 06-May-21 11:30:05

Rarely, but when I do, oh how lovely the feeling.

Lollin Thu 06-May-21 11:30:44

Rarely.

Daisend1 Thu 06-May-21 11:31:06

Shinamae
It takes two strong cuppa's to bring me into the land of the living what ever time I 'surface'.

Sickofweddingcake Thu 06-May-21 11:31:17

Polnan, I understand where you are coming from. Living alone sometimes skewers your thoughts.It is difficult sometimes to gauge if you are the only one experiencing a certain thing. Thank god for forums like Gransnet. It certainly helps people to put things in perspective, at times! ?

Shinamae Thu 06-May-21 11:34:02

sue01

Shinamae - give the Leslie Sansone home exercise programmes a go.

She was featured on here and got a lot of rave reviews .... there are a number to choose from ... 15 mins, 30, 45.... and we find them really good to do first thing.

And when I say "we", I mean DH and I. He would never ever have joined an exercise class at the gym, but has taken to these luck a duck to water.

Find her on Google - and the very best of luck. Sue x

Thanks Sue I will definitely have a look ??

Bazza Thu 06-May-21 11:35:06

Hardly ever have a good nights sleep, such a joy when I do! I’ve slept badly for the last 47 years courtesy of my daughter who never slept for more than an hour until she was five. She now sleeps like a log!