Gransnet forums

Health

Monday 19 July 2021 has arrived

(91 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Mon 19-Jul-21 10:10:42

Previously, discussing what might happen,

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1298039-COVID-19-etiquette-and-good-manners-after-19-July-2021

How are things in practice now that Monday 19 July 2021 has arrived?

MawBe Mon 19-Jul-21 10:15:25

Bit early in my day to say OP

I think so much has been said - what is thee to add?

Galaxy Mon 19-Jul-21 10:19:09

I have just been in Tesco nearly everyone was wearing masks.

Harris27 Mon 19-Jul-21 10:19:56

Don’t think the responsible people will change their habits for a while yet.

rosie1959 Mon 19-Jul-21 10:23:15

Can’t say it will make much difference to our day to day life. Don’t particularly go in shops that often if I do I will continue with a mask whilst rates are still high more for others than for me
I don’t use public transport apart from on holiday
DH goes to our local he won’t bother with wearing a mask for that or if we go out for a meal won’t bother with one then either

rosie1959 Mon 19-Jul-21 10:26:20

Oh and I can have all my family round without it being against the law though can’t say we have been adhering to that one for some time

ElderlyPerson Mon 19-Jul-21 10:36:05

Sky News shows that some nightclubs opened at midnight!

This thread is so that people have somewhere to post about their experiences now that many legal restrictions have been lifted.

I am continuing to be in total lockdown. Hopefully delivery arrangements will continue unaltered. I received a (circular) email from Tesco yesterday that indicates that there is basically zero change in Tesco stores and for deliveries.

Since tray liners have stopped for Tesco deliveries I put boxes on the doorstep and request in the delivery notes that the items are put in the boxes, which are all labelled so that, for example, shower gel is not in the same box as my food. The delivery drivers are very good at doing as requested. In fact, it is far quicker than if I had to unload it all myself while the driver stood some distance away. The driver telephones me to say that he or she has arrived and to discuss any substitutions. In fact the system now with the boxes is an improvement, because when it was cold in May I just quickly dragged the boxes inside and sorted it all out in the hall in the warm, rather than keep going out to get items a few at a time when tray liners were used.

As this arrangement also protects against colds, flu and norovirus I am happy if it continues to be the method for good. Otherwise there would need to be a day to go back to how it was prepandemic, and on what basis would a decision to change from one system to another be made? And when?

I am reliably informed that quite a number of people are doing similarly with trays and trollies being used.

Devorgilla Mon 19-Jul-21 10:36:11

Most people I know will continue to be cautious as will I. Has anyone managed to find the 'pilot scheme' online that Boris and Rishi were volunteering to be part of? I googled it, to no avail. Only pilot scheme by NHS that came up was one about monitoring Long Covid.

henetha Mon 19-Jul-21 10:38:04

I shan't change my habits. Not for a while yet anyway. So still masks, hand sanitizer etc.

tanith Mon 19-Jul-21 10:38:11

Nothing will change in my world I’ll still wear a mask in shops and my daughter is keeping away as she works with someone who tested positive so same old same old round here.

Ellianne Mon 19-Jul-21 10:54:30

All good here.
I had breakfast at The Donkey Sanctuary restaurant and they had gone back to self service trays as opposed to table service. Everyone queueing at the counter wore masks. All staff wore masks. There was a worker who was greeting the public and explained procedures without being officious.
Then I stopped at the local shop and customers shopping wore masks.
Most people are respectful.

Granniesunite Mon 19-Jul-21 11:13:01

I’m in Scotland so we’re still required to were masks in public places etc. It’s not a problem for the majority of people and still very much in evidence around shops beside me.

I’ll wear mine for a long time yet I think..

NanTheWiser Mon 19-Jul-21 12:11:24

I visited my local large-ish Sainsbury’s this morning. The majority of customers were wearing masks (as was I), but the hand sanitizers at the entrance had gone, as had the screens between the self scan checkouts.
I think most people will carry on as before, sensibly, but others will be glad of the freedom not to wear masks.

Alegrias1 Mon 19-Jul-21 12:43:29

Devorgilla

Most people I know will continue to be cautious as will I. Has anyone managed to find the 'pilot scheme' online that Boris and Rishi were volunteering to be part of? I googled it, to no avail. Only pilot scheme by NHS that came up was one about monitoring Long Covid.

www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-launch-40000-person-daily-contact-testing-study

The pilot scheme.

sodapop Mon 19-Jul-21 13:03:52

So envious Ellianne I would love to visit the Donkey Sanctuary we do support them but have not been able to visit. Sorry veering off piste.

Ellianne Mon 19-Jul-21 13:19:47

Sorry I can't attach this to the pm sodapop, but a nice sharing July 19th photo anyway.

ayse Mon 19-Jul-21 13:24:21

I went to other side of town this morning to collect some tent poles. I used the bus so took two buses there and the same to return. I was pleasantly surprised that almost everyone was wearing a face mask. It seems that large numbers of the public are still wearing them.

ElderlyPerson Mon 19-Jul-21 14:16:11

sodapop

So envious Ellianne I would love to visit the Donkey Sanctuary we do support them but have not been able to visit. Sorry veering off piste.

If you want to post things that stray off-topic, please feel free to do so. Same for everybody else as well. Quite alright in this thread.

cornishpatsy Mon 19-Jul-21 14:28:38

I have just come back from town where most people were still wearing masks in stores and changing rooms were still closed in Next.

Franbern Mon 19-Jul-21 15:40:34

Did my usual weekly shop at Sainsbury earlier this morning. Everyone then were wearing masks - but mainly older people shopping at that time and they are likely to be more cautious.
The large entrance/exit had now been opened as one area again, but hand and trolley sanitisers were still there - had noticed fewer and fewer people have been using those over past months. I was disappointd to see that they had taken down the plastic creen at the zapper payment area - I really liked the privacy that those little cubicles awarded us and hoped they would stay in place.
TBH, it is too hot to go to see how the town centre is coping today - once back home I have stayed in the relative peace and coolness of my flat.
Do not think for most people it will make a large difference, but probably the younger people will take the opportunity of having parties etc.

Fennel Mon 19-Jul-21 15:47:07

I went to town this pm on the bus wearing a mask, as most passengers did.
The main difference was seats which had previously been closed off because of social distancing were now used.
In the bank and tesco still masks and social distancing rules.
I also noticed that most older people wore masks. most younger people didn't.

AGAA4 Mon 19-Jul-21 15:53:38

Good to hear many are still wearing masks. We still have to here in Wales.

Theoddbird Tue 20-Jul-21 10:40:25

Suowemarkets are asking that people wear masks. I will be going to village coop later and I will wear a mask. Everyone I know...bar one...has said they will continue to wear a mask. He just does not get that even though double jabbed he could still catch covid and maybe pass it in to his young daughter.

Alison333 Tue 20-Jul-21 10:50:35

I went into the centre of our market town in the south of England yesterday and nearly everybody was wearing masks in shops and even in the street.

In the covered shopping centre everybody was walking up one side and down the other even though the central black marking tape had been removed and the centre staff that used to patrol the walkways had all vanished!

It seems pretty clear to me that the majority think that it is not safe to drop precautions yet.

123kitty Tue 20-Jul-21 10:53:33

Don't know, I haven't left the sunny garden to find out.