Gransnet forums

Health

Monday 19 July 2021 has arrived

(92 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Mon 19-Jul-21 10:10:42

Previously, discussing what might happen,

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1298039-COVID-19-etiquette-and-good-manners-after-19-July-2021

How are things in practice now that Monday 19 July 2021 has arrived?

annodomini Wed 21-Jul-21 16:51:37

In Aldi yesterday, all the customers were wearing masks - even a pair of quite young children - except for one young man, not much more than a teenager, and I think he looked a bit embarrassed. The checkout staff were all masked.

lemongrove Wed 21-Jul-21 16:57:33

Mollygo

Lillie that’s what a lot of people on the media are doing - endlessly whinging!
Strange that when I’m out in town, people, though still masked, are cheerful; in the library people are whispering cheerfully, when I go to the gym people in masks are cheerful.
I like a good whinge as much as the next person. It relieves my frustrations.
Do you think everyone’s saving their whinging for a moment of fame on TV, in the press or anonymously on here?

?

Things seem much the same really, our local village shop says they would appreciate mask wearing ( but don’t and can’t say anything to the few people who don’t wear one.)
It’s horribly hot for staff to wear one if no air con ( and they work all day) but they are behind perspex screens anyway.
Pubs are leaving tables more spaced out but bar staff not mask wearing... and customers not either.Doors and windows all open so good ventilation though.

rosie1959 Wed 21-Jul-21 17:05:11

I will have a chat with my hairdresser but there is usually only her & myself present so I don’t expect to wear a mask apart from it being hot and unpleasant we have known each other 40 years so are friends as well. She has always made me a coffee whilst colour is taking and we take the time to have a catch-up.

MerylStreep Wed 21-Jul-21 17:17:17

I’ve been to several big shops mask free since Boris announced the lifting of restrictions. There were quite a few people mask free.
Today I went to our small local library mask free.
There were 3 assistants. 2 without, 1with ( masks)

MayBee70 Wed 21-Jul-21 17:31:19

rosie1959

I will have a chat with my hairdresser but there is usually only her & myself present so I don’t expect to wear a mask apart from it being hot and unpleasant we have known each other 40 years so are friends as well. She has always made me a coffee whilst colour is taking and we take the time to have a catch-up.

Oh good. Can’t possibly catch it or pass it onto someone you’ve been friends with for forty years smile

rosie1959 Wed 21-Jul-21 18:11:48

Maybee we are both double vaccinated and it's our choice to make

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Jul-21 18:31:31

I have been to Lakeside today, a large indoor shopping centre, the majority of shoppers and staff were wearing masks.

Some shops still card payments only.

Sanitisers at shop entrances.

MayBee70 Thu 22-Jul-21 19:32:17

The person delivering our veggies today no longer wore a mask. Bit of a worry as we know some of the people he delivers to are undergoing chemo at the moment. I wonder if they might lose custom over it.

ElderlyPerson Thu 22-Jul-21 19:35:48

It seems like they might lose yours!

lemsip Thu 22-Jul-21 19:37:25

pleased to see many people still wearing masks in the street aswell as in shops in my town. I will continue wearing mine.

rosie1959 Thu 22-Jul-21 19:41:34

Must admit not seen too many in the street wearing them but in this heat they are extremely uncomfortable but most are in shops
None of our market traders do infact never have but certainly doesn't affect their trade they are very busy

MayBee70 Thu 22-Jul-21 19:57:45

ElderlyPerson

It seems like they might lose yours!

We like to support them as they’ve been a lifeline for the past year and we put the food straight into the garage anyway. But I was disappointed I must say. Especially as the shop itself is in a very busy town. I’ve always said I’ll continue to support everyone that has been good to us over the last 18 months even though they’re quite expensive.

MayBee70 Thu 22-Jul-21 22:50:00

Well, I just did my night time walk which was lovely, as ever. But just as I was almost home a group of three older teenagers were walking towards me. The pavement is narrow and, given that they were in an un vaccinated age group I crossed the road and had to stand on a very narrow grass verge as a car came along. And they laughed at me sad.

MawBe Thu 22-Jul-21 22:53:29

Maybee you are not going to catch Covid from walking past a small group of people in the open air. You were more at risk from passing traffic!
Momentary exposure out of doors carries an infinitesimal risk, if any. You need to get things in proportion.

MayBee70 Thu 22-Jul-21 23:30:50

I’ll do what I feel is right for me, thank you. They were very large, I am very small and the pavement is very narrow. I still prefer to stick to the two metre rule. They would literally have brushed last me.

MayBee70 Thu 22-Jul-21 23:34:59

My grandchildren have been taught to move away from older people. And they don’t snigger at them.