Gransnet forums

Health

Monday 19 July 2021 has arrived

(92 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Mon 19-Jul-21 10:10:42

Previously, discussing what might happen,

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1298039-COVID-19-etiquette-and-good-manners-after-19-July-2021

How are things in practice now that Monday 19 July 2021 has arrived?

twinnytwin Tue 20-Jul-21 13:33:07

Went to my GD (9 yrs) school today to watch her Year 5 assembly. Usually all the school kids and teachers would be in the hall as well as family of the performing pupils, but today it was just family, sat in 2s, with chairs spaced out well. I took my mask, but no one was wearing them. Doors and windows were open for ventilation.
Walked around our local small town yesterday with friends and a few older folk were wearing masks, and we put ours on to go into an antique market. We sat outside a cafe and had someting to eat and drink in the sunshine. The staff there weren't wearing masks.
Our village shop are asking folk to wear masks inside and are sticking to the restricted numbers for the time being.

Maremia Tue 20-Jul-21 13:33:31

So glad to be reading these comments. Yes, we will continue with the masks. Such an easy way to keep yourself safer.

Alegrias1 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:53:24

Went to Tesco's this morning, I'm in Scotland where masks are still compulsory. A young woman in front of me going in was wheeling a baby in a pram and talking on her phone through those little in-ear speakers. She walked in the front door of the shop without a mask. Just as I was thinking, shall I say something, she leapt up in the air with a squeal and backed quickly out of the shop.

She looked at me and said , Oh my, I forgot, I'm so sorry!! then put her mask on. I think most people will continue to do the right thing.

annodomini Tue 20-Jul-21 14:35:29

Last week, I found myself half way round Waitrose without a mask. Everyone was too polite (well it wasWaitrose) to tell me. I finished shopping with my hand over my mouth and nose! It will not happen again. I'll be keeping several spares in my handbag from now on. Promise!

Pippa22 Tue 20-Jul-21 14:41:19

I went into Brighton Sussex yesterday and could have counted the mask wearers on not one hand buckthorn two. Really surprised that everything felt very pre Covid and not in a good way.

Lillie Tue 20-Jul-21 14:48:39

the biggest whinger in all this is andrew lloyd webber he doesn't stop and still whinging
whinge about theatres
whinge about spacing
whinge about pinging
while others are trying their best

Mollygo Tue 20-Jul-21 16:15:18

Lillie that’s what a lot of people on the media are doing - endlessly whinging!
Strange that when I’m out in town, people, though still masked, are cheerful; in the library people are whispering cheerfully, when I go to the gym people in masks are cheerful.
I like a good whinge as much as the next person. It relieves my frustrations.
Do you think everyone’s saving their whinging for a moment of fame on TV, in the press or anonymously on here?

maddyone Tue 20-Jul-21 16:28:44

I’ve had a different experience today, for me anyway. I went to visit my mother in a care home. She’s in there recuperating after a fall and broken shoulder. We had to go half an hour early, and we both took a LF test. It was negative thankfully, but whilst we waited we had to fill in a detailed form about Covid, tests, pings, vaccination status, and so on. Then wearing a plastic apron, a mask, and with sanitised hands we were allowed to visit Mum. I was happy that they were taking all reasonable precautions to protect her and other residents. She is in isolation for two weeks before she can mingle with other residents. So no change there, I’m pleased to report.

katy1950 Tue 20-Jul-21 16:29:17

Masks and hand sanitizer for me and hubby

Lillie Tue 20-Jul-21 16:32:23

yes molly face to face people seem happy and kind
the whingeing on social media is constant and celebrities are often the worst

B9exchange Tue 20-Jul-21 17:00:47

We are in Grange over Sands, no masks needed or worn by patrons in the hotel, though staff do (below noses!) None required in shops, I am very happy not to be required to wear one.

rosie1959 Tue 20-Jul-21 17:13:59

B9exchange we were in a hotel when masks were no longer required its so much better I find wearing them to walk in a room then taking them off when you sit down to chat eat or drink totally pointless

MaggsMcG Tue 20-Jul-21 17:18:42

My daughter deleted the NHS Covid App too she tested positive and filled in the form about who and where she had been but then they wouldn't leave her alone kept emailing and texting her so she deleted it she's had a bit of a rough time feeling better today but still coughing and any movement leaves her breathless, the heat doesn't help. She was double vaccinated so now she says they don't work. She seemed to gave most of the original symptoms plus the sneezing. They didn't tell her which variant she had. Luckily I was just outside the pinging contact date. It's now well over 10 days since I saw her anyway so I'm OK.

ElderlyPerson Tue 20-Jul-21 17:35:21

As Tesco's email, which I received, is very much keeping things as they were and from reading posts here some supermarkets seem to be taking a very different attitude, I wonder if there will be any migration of customers so that a customer chooses a supermarket whose policy aligns with his or her own attitude.

Ukcarolm Tue 20-Jul-21 19:20:19

No changes here in our little town in Cornwall, shops staff and customers all behaving as they did last week .

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Jul-21 19:37:58

I have travelled from the north of England to the south coast over the past few days.

I was so pleased as to how rational and responsible people were doing, until I got to my home town?.

Expect a spike in Brighton

rosie1959 Wed 21-Jul-21 05:13:22

Whitewave my son was visiting Brighton last weekend with a group of friends he did say it was packed. Still under regulations he was very impressed with the bars he visited They had to book in advance sit down at all times and management of the rules was very tight and the staff should be commended for working under difficult conditions

maddyone Wed 21-Jul-21 10:45:59

You will probably need to take extra care then Whitewave, but I’m sure you’re aware of that. I’ve also just returned from holiday, in Somerset, and didn’t feel unsafe at all wherever we went, but today I’m going to my usual hairdressers, and unsure what will be happening there. I’ll go in wearing a mask as previously, but unsure about protocols now. My hairdresser has always followed all the rules before, but what now I wonder.

Riverwalk Wed 21-Jul-21 11:26:45

Yesterday on High Street, Kensington - hardly any customers in M&S but 90% wearing a mask, as were the very few staff I saw. Passing by Hobbs, Jigsaw and the closing-down Gap, it looked as though most were in masks.

Those getting on/off the buses or entering the Tube - again 90% wearing masks.

Dim sum lunch in Queensway - customers wearing masks to enter, all staff wearing masks

DaisyL Wed 21-Jul-21 11:48:17

Just been to my hairdresser - I didn't wear a mask although most other customers were. The staff have be told to carry on wearing them in case taking them off upsets the customers. lo went to Marks and Spencer where I didn't wear a mask but apart from one other customer (that I saw) everyone else was wearing one! If I felt at all unwell I wouldn't go out but having been double vaccinated and doing the Lateral Flow Test twice a week I feel perfectly safe without a mask particularly as in under four weeks we won't have to isolate after being 'pinged'.

henetha Wed 21-Jul-21 12:04:11

I've been to Specsavers and it's very much still masks and waiting outside until you are called in. And rightly so, imho.
It's far too soon to drop all this yet.

Jaxjacky Wed 21-Jul-21 12:26:10

Local Tesco Express early this morning, all masked except workmen getting coffees and sandwiches, this has been the norm throughout. I didn’t realise workmen had natural immunity.

ElderlyPerson Wed 21-Jul-21 13:23:02

maddyone

You will probably need to take extra care then Whitewave, but I’m sure you’re aware of that. I’ve also just returned from holiday, in Somerset, and didn’t feel unsafe at all wherever we went, but today I’m going to my usual hairdressers, and unsure what will be happening there. I’ll go in wearing a mask as previously, but unsure about protocols now. My hairdresser has always followed all the rules before, but what now I wonder.

But are there any rules now?

maddyone Wed 21-Jul-21 16:38:07

Regarding hairdressers ElderlyPerson, there is one rule that I know of. My hairdresser made me a coffee as this is now allowed, but she couldn’t offer me a biscuit as that’s not allowed. I wore a mask to go in, but took it off whilst being ‘done.’ My hairdresser wore a mask throughout. She and I are both double jabbed, and my hair was done upstairs, where there were no other customers.

Mollygo Wed 21-Jul-21 16:42:10

My hairdresser did as yours did maddyone. She only has one customer in at a time. The other hairdresser who used to work there has not been in since lockdown started.