Gransnet forums

Health

Flu jab

(88 Posts)
Forsythia Tue 21-Sep-21 20:23:20

This year we had our flu jab at our local chemist. I rang on Friday and had it the next day. Usually, we have it at the GP surgery but this year they couldn’t confirm when it would be likely and said they couldn’t give us a timescale for the roll out. My brother in law had his at the chemist so we tried it and it was easy. I hope this might help others waiting to get their jab.

Forsythia Wed 22-Sep-21 09:59:34

We always have had ours in September for many years and have never had flu yet!

henetha Wed 22-Sep-21 10:16:55

I had an appointment at my local surgery for a flu jab on the 18th, but then it was postponed until the 25th, - so fingers crossed that it doesn't get postponed again.
I too aways have mine in September.

growstuff Wed 22-Sep-21 11:12:58

The official advice from NHS England for diabetics is to have the flu jab as soon as possible to avoid catching anything before the "flu season" starts.

MiniMoon Wed 22-Sep-21 11:25:27

We had ours at a pharmacy last year. Quick and easy.
This year we were emailed by the Health Centre, made an appointment and went there. We queued behind 2 other people, and were in and out in about 5 minutes.
I was asked to make another appointment to have a pneumonia vaccine, but I'm going to wait a while as my arm feels like a pincushion.

Whiff Wed 22-Sep-21 11:32:51

My surgery is doing flu jabs. My age group is end of September I'm 63. They started doing older people beginning of this month.

rosie1959 Wed 22-Sep-21 11:33:09

Had a reminder text yesterday just booked us both in for October.
Had our first one last year I believe before this time they didn’t call under 65s in for a vaccination but will carry on this year although don’t think either of us has ever had flu

Aveline Wed 22-Sep-21 13:06:14

Nothing seems to be organised round here (Scotland) so I've booked an injection at Boots for DH and me. My friend was sent an appt but it was for a location miles from her. When she called the number given it was a Covid hotline. The person was very nice but couldn't do anything. He'd had lots of calls from people about flu vacs but nothing organised. That made me go ahead with a Boots appt. They were very busy. Earliest appt I could get was end of October.

Sarnia Wed 22-Sep-21 13:25:06

I must agree with OP. My GP's surgery wasn't very forthcoming about flu jabs or vaccine boosters either. I had an e-mail from the chemist who makes up my prescriptions, made an appointment and went along this morning to have it done. I didn't want to leave it as there is a possibility that supplies may be harder to come by.

Jane43 Wed 22-Sep-21 13:34:21

We had ours at Boots this morning. I booked on line and was able to choose a time convenient to us.

greenlady102 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:26:10

SueDonim

Our doctors no longer do flu jabs. The health board has taken over responsibility for the programme. Their website says to watch their page for an update. No clues as to when that might be. Still, this is in Scotland where we’ve been told to think twice about calling 999 or even requesting a GP appointment. ?‍♀️

Meanwhile, I saw a private pharmacy offering flu jabs today so they’re obviously available if you’re able to pay.

if you are entitled to a free nhs one, local pharmacies do those too

Funnygran Thu 23-Sep-21 11:31:04

We were sent appointments by our GP surgery and will have them on Saturday. Like last year they take place in the car park of a nearby school. Very quick, give your details, roll the window down and get the jab. Then the nurse goes round to the other side if there’s a passenger. Still can’t get a face to face appointment for anything else though.

Janetashbolt Thu 23-Sep-21 11:48:55

I work at a GP, with delivery delays we are waiting til we actually receive them before we are making appointments, anyone that phones we add to a list but advise them to go to chemist if easier. I had mine last week at my chemist.

WoodLane7 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:55:41

I got a text from my GP Tuesday afternoon to say they were doing a walk-imn clinic 8am-6pm Weds, so went and got mine yesterday teatime

Tmeadow2 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:59:29

We had our flu jabs at boots yesterday. Woke up at 3am shivering and feeling awful. Feeling better as the morning goes on. I prefer to book my own appointment at a chemist when it suits us, rather than wait for doctors to decide when they fit us in.

ginny Thu 23-Sep-21 12:08:59

We went in to local chemist this morning to ask and they did it there and then.
We will probably be due our Covid booster some time in October . I felt better not having them too close together. I’m sure there is no medical reason why you shouldn’t, just how I feel.

Lizzies Thu 23-Sep-21 12:12:18

Last year the practice I am with made me go to a different site for my jab as they said they could make it more Covid safe. I got a text from the pharmacy attached to my normal surgery saying I was eligible for the flu jab and to ask when I was next in. I went to collect my prescriptions last Friday and asked. They were doing them that afternoon and I got mine there and then.

Daffydilly Thu 23-Sep-21 12:24:57

GrandmaKT

I've had mine in previous years at Boots (when I paid for it when I was under 60). I received an invitation from them this year. However, I've also had a letter from the GP surgery saying they will be offering the flu jabs (no timescale), so please support the surgery and don't go elsewhere.
I'm a bit torn. I know there is a payment involved, and want to support the surgery, but another surgery in town has cancelled all theirs because they can't get supplies. I hope I don't miss out by waiting for the GP!

If you're eligible for a free flu jab it doesn't matter whether you have it at the surgery or pharmacy, it'll still be free.

Pippa22 Thu 23-Sep-21 12:31:58

Having flu jab at pharmacies is helping towards privatisation of the NHS as they are paying the chemists to do NHS work. Stick with your GP surgery for your jabs. Protect the NHS ! Every little helps. Also don’t arrange with private companies who seem like NHS to deliver your prescriptions to you. Stick with using your local pharmacy as you would miss them if they weren’t there and these large postal prescription companies are causing local pharmacies to close.

muse Thu 23-Sep-21 12:47:58

We both have ours done at the Doctors. Just received text for mid October. They tend to do them outside normally surgery hours. Our appointments are in evening which suits us really well.

bear1 Thu 23-Sep-21 12:53:23

had a text from my GP to say they would be contacting re having the Flu and covid jab at same time but no date given yet, not looking forward to having both at same time

JenniferEccles Thu 23-Sep-21 13:05:28

Very young babies have several vaccines in one go!

Aveline Thu 23-Sep-21 13:22:35

GPS in Scotland are no longer contracted to do flu jabs. Apparently we're all supposed to be called in to large central locations. It's not going well. People are being sent appointments for places miles away. In one case an elderly man would have needed 8 buses to get there and back. No alternative appointment offered.
That's why we're off to Boots!

HannahLoisLuke Thu 23-Sep-21 13:56:17

I get mine done at the GP, usually around this time if year. I’m hoping though that I can delay it by a month or two as I read it’s better to have it later on, say December. Apparently it’s more effective then but I can’t remember why.

Qwerty Thu 23-Sep-21 14:11:51

Our local chemists has done flu jabs previous years and has been very efficient, but this year is only doing private ones where you pay. Their advice was wait to be called by your doctors surgery. Going on previous experience this may take a while.

SueDonim Thu 23-Sep-21 14:17:19

Scotland doesn’t do the free-jabs-in-pharmacies scheme, or at least not in my area.

The NHS is Scotland is in freefall atm. We’ve been told by the Health Minister to think twice about calling 999 and also to not bother our GP unless we need to. ?‍♀️