Gransnet forums

Health

With UK Covid deaths the highest in Europe, is this living with Covid?

(139 Posts)
marq66 Fri 15-Oct-21 08:19:00

For the month of September, the UK recorded 45,066 deaths due to Civd (compared to 420 in Sept 2020) and Covid cases have shot up to 4500 per day (Oct 14th). Why is the government not leading better action to control this position? I have just travelled through Europe where in Spain, Italy, Croatia and France masks are worn in shops and on all transport with 99% compliance. Their Covid cases are less than 5000 per day and deaths are substantially lower than UK (c25 per day). If these countries can control their cases, alleviating the pressure on their health services with all its consequential benefits (other medical issues being dealt with, economy able to recover etc) why is the UK blindly pretending we can live with Covid at these stupidly high rate with its consequential pain for GPs, the NHS and the poor families affected? When Sajid Javid fails to face doctors face to face at their conference, as promised, this tells you all you need to know!

Zoejory Fri 15-Oct-21 08:24:30

For the month of September, the UK recorded 45,066 deaths due to Civd

Over 45.000 deaths in September? That can't be right.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 15-Oct-21 08:25:41

Prof. Winston Graham has said that the government’s mistakes were catastrophic, with an abysmal and culpable level of unpreparedness, not experienced in most places in the developed world.

Josianne Fri 15-Oct-21 08:28:08

Are you having a laugh? I'm not a figures person, but 45,000 deaths last month is ludicrous reporting.

Juliet27 Fri 15-Oct-21 08:28:34

I think she means the total of deaths up to September. I think she also means 45000 cases per day for 14th Oct.

Alegrias1 Fri 15-Oct-21 08:29:12

You've got the case numbers and deaths wrong.

Approx 450 deaths in the month, not 45,000.

Average daily cases, about 40,000.

Josianne Fri 15-Oct-21 08:30:05

No she said compared with last September.

Maggiemaybe Fri 15-Oct-21 08:31:37

Please provide a link to your figure of 45066 deaths in September..

Perhaps it’s just coincidental that it’s the exact figure declared for Covid cases yesterday?

Your case figures are also way out.

Maggiemaybe Fri 15-Oct-21 08:35:22

Also, as regards total deaths per million of population, we are 15th in Europe.

Juliet27 Fri 15-Oct-21 08:36:15

I think you’d better start again marq66 as everyone is getting muddled by your figures.

Newquay Fri 15-Oct-21 08:36:41

I keep seeing these figures on the news every night yet hardly know anyone who actually has it!

Josianne Fri 15-Oct-21 08:37:57

And how were things in Slovenia regarding masks please?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 15-Oct-21 09:04:53

“We seem to have snatched defeat from the jaws of vaccine victory.”

This is what the OP is getting at as well most posters know but choose to deflect.

Alegrias1 Fri 15-Oct-21 09:15:17

How about this one?

We can all find scary stats and we can all find stats that aren't scary at all. And getting the numbers right is important or nobody will believe the points you make.

Also, with some judicious data selection, I can make it look like the situation in France and Spain is nearly twice as bad as it is here, with things getting worse for them (Second graph)

My point? History isn't the same as forecast.

Josianne Fri 15-Oct-21 09:17:15

Thanks for the graph WWM2.
I don't think anyone was deflecting, unless it was meant to be a political argument? Just choked on breakfast with the first line and thought I might have to cancel my lunch in town. A bit scary too in the Health forum for those of a less robust nature.
We are always reminded to get the facts straight on GN.

Josianne Fri 15-Oct-21 09:18:30

Thanks too Alegrias.
As for today, I will just live with it.

FarNorth Fri 15-Oct-21 09:25:49

"Cases" can mean all sorts of things.
Even without hospitalisation, a case of covid can be severe for an individual and can leave them with long covid.
Or it can be almost unnoticeable.

There no way of knowing, from the statistics, how prevalent serious covid illness is.

Alegrias1 Fri 15-Oct-21 09:35:44

I'm on a stats roll now.

See fatality rates for the UK versus the EU and Europe...

Blossoming Fri 15-Oct-21 09:40:08

Whitewavemark2 what a patronising comment.

This data is also from John Hopkins University and paints a very different picture.

Teacheranne Fri 15-Oct-21 09:41:12

Newquay

I keep seeing these figures on the news every night yet hardly know anyone who actually has it!

On the other hand, I know more people with Covid now than at any time during the peaks. My sister and nephew have it as do several friends. Luckily none of them have been very ill as they are all, apart from my 15 yr old nephew, double vaccinated but having to self isolate is affecting them work wise and socially.

Mamie Fri 15-Oct-21 10:01:33

You can add in the 43,000 tests that were wrongly described as negative by the lab in Wolverhampton, which is reported on the BBC website. .
According to Twitter this is the company involved.
"The Lab is run by Immensa Health Clinic, CEO is Andrea Riposati. The company existed for less than 3 months, had no employees and £100 in assets when it was awarded a £120m contract by the Tories in Oct 2020. No website, and address is a block of offices in Mayfair."
On Mumsnet there is an interesting thread will lots of families experiencing positve LFTs, covid symptoms and negative PCRs.
So who knows how accurate the numbers are.

halfpint1 Fri 15-Oct-21 10:04:42

It will be affecting the economy in so many ways. Even I don't want to visit England with the lack of masks etc .

Barmeyoldbat Fri 15-Oct-21 10:21:25

I find the numbers unbelievable, at this rate it means soon the whole of the country will have had Covid. Two of my family got it when the need for wearing masks was removed and one friend has contacted Covid other than that I don’t know anyone else who had covid.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 15-Oct-21 10:23:07

Barmeyoldbat

I find the numbers unbelievable, at this rate it means soon the whole of the country will have had Covid. Two of my family got it when the need for wearing masks was removed and one friend has contacted Covid other than that I don’t know anyone else who had covid.

Herd immunity, always the original intention, until they panicked.

lemsip Fri 15-Oct-21 10:24:26

159 deaths.......36,000 cases in september