Gransnet forums

Health

With UK Covid deaths the highest in Europe, is this living with Covid?

(140 Posts)
marq66 Fri 15-Oct-21 08:19:00

For the month of September, the UK recorded 45,066 deaths due to Civd (compared to 420 in Sept 2020) and Covid cases have shot up to 4500 per day (Oct 14th). Why is the government not leading better action to control this position? I have just travelled through Europe where in Spain, Italy, Croatia and France masks are worn in shops and on all transport with 99% compliance. Their Covid cases are less than 5000 per day and deaths are substantially lower than UK (c25 per day). If these countries can control their cases, alleviating the pressure on their health services with all its consequential benefits (other medical issues being dealt with, economy able to recover etc) why is the UK blindly pretending we can live with Covid at these stupidly high rate with its consequential pain for GPs, the NHS and the poor families affected? When Sajid Javid fails to face doctors face to face at their conference, as promised, this tells you all you need to know!

Aveline Sun 17-Oct-21 10:34:44

Alegrias knows her stuff re stats and their uses. By the way, just because in England you don't have to wear masks doesn't mean you can't. You can, as we do, choose to wear masks, sanitise and socially distance. We don't need to be officially told to.

growstuff Sun 17-Oct-21 10:55:54

Aveline

Alegrias knows her stuff re stats and their uses. By the way, just because in England you don't have to wear masks doesn't mean you can't. You can, as we do, choose to wear masks, sanitise and socially distance. We don't need to be officially told to.

Ahem! I'm afraid she doesn't always.

The trouble is with people not being told to wear masks is that they are endangering other people, who can't make others wear them. Others do need to be told officially to wear them.

Alegrias1 Sun 17-Oct-21 10:56:57

Hello? I'm still here you know.... grin

Aveline Sun 17-Oct-21 11:03:27

?

MayBee70 Sun 17-Oct-21 12:47:34

My daughter wanted their scouts to wear masks on buses when having trips out only to be told that the government said it wasn’t necessary. It was only when the infection rate went through the roof that they decided it might actually be a good idea (she’s already had to cancel a much needed holiday abroad because of her eldest son catching covid at school but is hoping to have a mini break at half term). She really didn’t want to be sitting in a mini bus with a load of unmasked unvaccinated teenagers. Same with the school. Only reintroduced mask wearing when half the staff came down with covid. Common sense seems to be sadly lacking in England. Stable doors and bolting horses springs to mind….

rosie1959 Sun 17-Oct-21 13:52:49

I am not the greatest fan of mask wearing I hate the ruddy things but I don’t usually go to crowded areas We are going away to York next weekend and the shops there can be crowded common sense tells me to upgrade my mask to a FFP2 mask because if many are not wearing masks an ordinary surgical mask is of little use

FarNorth Sun 17-Oct-21 17:23:22

I wouldn't dream of going into a crowded shop, even with everyone having masks on as they do here in Scotland.

rosie1959 Sun 17-Oct-21 17:42:59

Let’s hope it’s not too crowded FarNorth but I need a new coat which really have to be tried on Plus we have a black tie event in November and would like something a bit special

Aveline Sun 17-Oct-21 17:57:26

Black velvet and diamante mask for the evening wear Rosie? Very elegant.

rosie1959 Sun 17-Oct-21 17:59:01

Aveline

Black velvet and diamante mask for the evening wear Rosie? Very elegant.

No I don’t think so I smoke probably set fire to the new frock

Amberone Sun 17-Oct-21 18:22:00

We were out today at quite a crowded antique fair, equipped with our masks. In the two hours we were there I think I saw about ten other people wearing masks, and I think about 80% of the people there were over 50. There were a number well into their 70s/80s, some of whom looked decidedly frail.

Quite an elderly lady behind us at one of the stands said to her friend "Look at them in their masks, isn't that ridiculous. I hope they haven't got the disease and brought it in here. Do you think they are anti vaccine people?". My OH and I just looked at each other and shook our heads.

Aveline Sun 17-Oct-21 18:53:45

Rosie grin

MayBee70 Sun 17-Oct-21 19:02:22

Amberone

We were out today at quite a crowded antique fair, equipped with our masks. In the two hours we were there I think I saw about ten other people wearing masks, and I think about 80% of the people there were over 50. There were a number well into their 70s/80s, some of whom looked decidedly frail.

Quite an elderly lady behind us at one of the stands said to her friend "Look at them in their masks, isn't that ridiculous. I hope they haven't got the disease and brought it in here. Do you think they are anti vaccine people?". My OH and I just looked at each other and shook our heads.

I despair of people.

Josianne Sun 17-Oct-21 22:18:05

Incredible! There's a programme on Channel 5 now about Brits living in France and there's loads of sloppy cheek kissing going on with the local hairdresser wearing a visor. If she does that with every customer, ugh!