Gransnet forums

Health

With UK Covid deaths the highest in Europe, is this living with Covid?

(140 Posts)
marq66 Fri 15-Oct-21 08:19:00

For the month of September, the UK recorded 45,066 deaths due to Civd (compared to 420 in Sept 2020) and Covid cases have shot up to 4500 per day (Oct 14th). Why is the government not leading better action to control this position? I have just travelled through Europe where in Spain, Italy, Croatia and France masks are worn in shops and on all transport with 99% compliance. Their Covid cases are less than 5000 per day and deaths are substantially lower than UK (c25 per day). If these countries can control their cases, alleviating the pressure on their health services with all its consequential benefits (other medical issues being dealt with, economy able to recover etc) why is the UK blindly pretending we can live with Covid at these stupidly high rate with its consequential pain for GPs, the NHS and the poor families affected? When Sajid Javid fails to face doctors face to face at their conference, as promised, this tells you all you need to know!

Rosie51 Fri 15-Oct-21 10:29:32

Whitewavemark2 do you not have any comment on the graph posted by Alegrias1 at 09.35?

Alegrias1 Fri 15-Oct-21 10:46:50

I find the numbers unbelievable, at this rate it means soon the whole of the country will have had Covid.

12% of the population of the UK have had a positive test. At a rate of 40,000 a day it will take a little over 4 years for everybody to have caught it.

vegansrock Fri 15-Oct-21 10:48:12

Speaking to my brother and SiL in Italy they can’t believe we have 25,000 cases a day …they have about 2,000. They wouldn’t come here any time soon. They have been hit hard in the past. Must be a reason why. Meanwhile my 2 secondary school GDs have tested positive along with half their school- why didn’t we vaccinate kids and teachers in the holidays????

vegansrock Fri 15-Oct-21 10:56:13

Oops 45,00 cases yesterday!

SpanielNanny Fri 15-Oct-21 11:26:42

Another problem with comparing case numbers in the UK to other countries, is that there is a huge difference in the number of tests being carried out. This graph demonstrates the amount of Covid tests being done in the UK, compared to elsewhere. I’ve also attempted to attach a link, for anyone who’s interested.

ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-tests-per-thousand-people-smoothed-7-day

Now, I’m not claiming that the the high numbers in the UK are solely down to increased testing. There has obviously been many, many mistakes. However given the large number of asymptotic positives (especially from routine lft tests carried out twice a week on young people in the uk), I suspect that some of the counties with lower positives and lower rates testing are reporting artificially low numbers.

SpanielNanny Fri 15-Oct-21 11:27:32

I have no idea why the graph has repeated three times. Obviously it’s really keen to support my point!

Mamie Fri 15-Oct-21 11:30:17

4200 cases in France yesterday, 5% down on the week before.
It is clearly the failure to vaccinate secondary age children in England before returning to school that is a significant factor in the high number of cases. If PCR tests have been coming back as false negatives and children with Covid have been returning to school then that can't have helped.
Plenty of discussion about it on Mumsnet.

growstuff Fri 15-Oct-21 11:35:22

Alegrias1

I'm on a stats roll now.

See fatality rates for the UK versus the EU and Europe...

As a matter of interest, which countries are meant by "Europe", as opposed to EU? Does Europe include the UK? AFAIK it's the most populous non-EU European country.

Lucca Fri 15-Oct-21 11:35:24

Why is this inaccurate OP still there ?

growstuff Fri 15-Oct-21 11:36:45

Teacheranne

Newquay

I keep seeing these figures on the news every night yet hardly know anyone who actually has it!

On the other hand, I know more people with Covid now than at any time during the peaks. My sister and nephew have it as do several friends. Luckily none of them have been very ill as they are all, apart from my 15 yr old nephew, double vaccinated but having to self isolate is affecting them work wise and socially.

So do I.

Mamie Fri 15-Oct-21 11:37:25

The point is SpanielNanny that for the rate to be ten times lower in France than in England you would have to have a mighty lot of unidentified asymptomatic cases in France.
My GD and 100 of her year group in England got Covid within three weeks of returning to school. My GD passed it on to my twice vaccinated DD and SiL. All three had significant symptoms and had two weeks away from school / work.
I am inclined to think the higher number of tests reflects the higher number of cases rather than believing in a mysterious mainland European asymptomatic Covid strain. ?

SpanielNanny Fri 15-Oct-21 11:37:48

This chart is also quite interesting, it shows the cumulative positivity rate in each county. I’ve included the link again, as the bar on the bottom can be altered to show how rates have changed over time.

ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-19-positive-rate-bar

growstuff Fri 15-Oct-21 11:38:40

Josianne

Thanks for the graph WWM2.
I don't think anyone was deflecting, unless it was meant to be a political argument? Just choked on breakfast with the first line and thought I might have to cancel my lunch in town. A bit scary too in the Health forum for those of a less robust nature.
We are always reminded to get the facts straight on GN.

Covid doesn't avoid people of a less robust nature.

growstuff Fri 15-Oct-21 11:40:04

SpanielNanny

This chart is also quite interesting, it shows the cumulative positivity rate in each county. I’ve included the link again, as the bar on the bottom can be altered to show how rates have changed over time.

ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-19-positive-rate-bar

It is interesting, but if the theory that the UK tests more is correct, the UK should have a lower rate than countries who test less.

Alegrias1 Fri 15-Oct-21 11:40:23

growstuff

Josianne

I don't think anyone was deflecting, unless it was meant to be a political argument? Just choked on breakfast with the first line and thought I might have to cancel my lunch in town. A bit scary too in the Health forum for those of a less robust nature.

Telling people that the death rate is 100 times what it really is can't be good for anyone's health.

growstuff Fri 15-Oct-21 11:40:49

Mamie

The point is SpanielNanny that for the rate to be ten times lower in France than in England you would have to have a mighty lot of unidentified asymptomatic cases in France.
My GD and 100 of her year group in England got Covid within three weeks of returning to school. My GD passed it on to my twice vaccinated DD and SiL. All three had significant symptoms and had two weeks away from school / work.
I am inclined to think the higher number of tests reflects the higher number of cases rather than believing in a mysterious mainland European asymptomatic Covid strain. ?

I think that too.

growstuff Fri 15-Oct-21 11:42:54

Juliet27

I think you’d better start again marq66 as everyone is getting muddled by your figures.

I think she's got muddled too. There are currently about 4,000 deaths a month.

growstuff Fri 15-Oct-21 11:44:05

Alegrias1

^I find the numbers unbelievable, at this rate it means soon the whole of the country will have had Covid.^

12% of the population of the UK have had a positive test. At a rate of 40,000 a day it will take a little over 4 years for everybody to have caught it.

Not if the rate is increasing exponentially.

Alegrias1 Fri 15-Oct-21 11:49:47

We're not going to have the exponential discussion again, are we?

Sorry growstuff blush

Mamie Fri 15-Oct-21 11:52:02

This thread is fascinating.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/coronavirus/4372169-The-great-South-west-PCR-mystery
Suggests the problem might be more like under reporting.....

Katie59 Fri 15-Oct-21 12:27:02

Travelled through Germany and Austria last week you could do nothing without a vaccination certificate and a high grade mask mandatory at every indoor venue, hotel, restaurant, we are far too relaxed in the UK

marq66 Fri 15-Oct-21 12:36:42

Mea culpa! The OP should have read: 4,506 deaths in Sept ie 10 times more than Sept 2020. Ok I made an error but the rest of my points are true: cases for 14 Oct 45,000 (a 10k rise on average of 34000 in previous days). UK is average case numbers are 10 times the cases of our neighbours (and I monitor it every day). Why is so little being done to get on top of this? As seen in subsequent posts, these case and deaths not reducing despite the vaccine levels. Something has to change!

Calendargirl Fri 15-Oct-21 13:19:52

The deaths are people who tested positive for Covid in the last 28 days I think.

To me, that doesn’t mean they died of Covid, it means they died with Covid. And perhaps they had recovered from it, and died of something else?

nanna8 Fri 15-Oct-21 13:29:43

Whatever, it is far too high in the UK just now. I don’t understand why you don’t have to all wear masks at least in shopping areas and inside. Not much to ask really. We are having total kniptions here with nothing like your numbers.

Josianne Fri 15-Oct-21 13:31:48

Alegrias1

growstuff

Josianne

Telling people that the death rate is 100 times what it really is can't be good for anyone's health.

That's what I meant. A lot of people have been feeling emotionally fragile. The OP saying 1500 deaths from covid per day could affect both mental and physical health.