Gransnet forums

Health

Blood thinners how has it changed your life

(34 Posts)
BB22 Sat 23-Apr-22 10:30:52

Hi everyone first time on here hope all having a good weekend hope subject not to serious I suffer from intermittent arterial fibrillation the doctor wants me to take blood thinners because I’m now 66 it has completely knocked me for six big mistake I looked on tinternet if anyone taking them how are you finding things would appreciate any advice ?

travelsafar Mon 25-Apr-22 09:49:17

I take apixaban . It was prescribed after I had covid 19 the delta virus. Whilst in hospital being treated they said I was at risk of blood clots, apparently the delta virus caused blood clots in my lungs. I am thankful for successful treatment. I also take bisoprol for rapid heartbeat after having covid. So far no side effects.

Greenfinch Mon 25-Apr-22 09:51:14

If mine is stable (ie INR is between 2 and 3 ) I am generally tested about every 3 months. If it is outside those limits it is every fortnight with a change in dosage and even when it is of an acceptable level I have to go fairly frequently until the reading has been acceptable for about 3 visits

Greenfinch Mon 25-Apr-22 09:52:29

Meant to say I take warfarin.

LtEve Mon 25-Apr-22 09:54:05

My DH has been on Apixoban for AF and two DVTs for about five years now. He started when he was 55. He does bleed slightly more when he cuts himself shaving but not in anyway seriously. The major difference for him is that I bully him into wearing a helmet when he plays cricket, personally I think he was daft not to before he went onto blood thinners as he's a wicket keeper but what did I know.smile

elasticatedslacks Tue 26-Apr-22 17:29:35

I take apixaban and have done for a few years - side effects - absolutely zippo.

Whiff Tue 26-Apr-22 17:58:39

I have Paroxysmal Atrial fibrillation and have been taking Apixaban since September. Had no problems. Just have to be very careful using my knives and I bruise easier which I take it as a sign the tablets are doing their job. Would rather take than the tablets rather than risk a stroke.

foxie48 Tue 26-Apr-22 18:16:33

I take Edoxoban, I do bruise quite easily and bleed quite freely but nothing I can't deal with. My biggest issue is that I ride but having weighed up the risks against what it adds to my life I intend to continue until I just can't physically do it anymore. I do ensure that friends know that if I have a head injury it could be more serious because of the edoxoban as could a broken bone etc. I think that life is to be lived and feel fortunate that generally I feel very well for someone in their 70's.

Granva Wed 27-Apr-22 19:51:39

I also have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and went on Apixaban about two years ago. I decided, reluctantly, that it was better than the significantly increased risk of stroke. I’m not on any other medication, and generally hate taking anything, and felt trapped by the evidence that if you come off anticoagulants, your stroke risk is higher than when you went on them.
I was also concerned about the (admittedly uncommon) side effect of hair loss. Three months after starting on it, I did start to lose hair and have continued to do so. I found this very distressing. Apparently if you are sensitive in this way, all the other newer anticoagulants will have the same effect.
The other, less distressing effect was that I started to fall asleep almost as soon as I settled down at night, rather than spend my usual 20-30 minutes tossing and turning. So I’m not complaining about that. Nor am I complaining about the reduction in stroke risk overall. On balance I prefer to be on them.