Gransnet forums

Health

Black Dog 12

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Sat 07-May-22 20:00:08

To quote Anniebach - This thread is for the support, understanding and sharing of all mental health problems.

Ellie Anne Mon 16-May-22 20:02:55

Annie I would speak but I ve never seen him. He’s the invisible man!

Joce345 Mon 16-May-22 21:39:00

Just to say good evening to all the BDG I haven’t read or caught up with everyone news but hope every one of you are doing ok
I’m doing my usual plodding on for now...
Annie I’m not good with advice but I personally think you are doing the best thing for your GC. It’s so hard sometimes to say nothing but right all the same, sending you hugs..
hope all my old friends are doing ok.
Wishing all new one hear the best
??

Doodle Mon 16-May-22 22:04:56

Busy day for me. Meeting this morning then out shopping this afternoon. Been quite warm.
HVDY I buy Easter Eggs too. Hope you had a good time at aqua aerobics. Do you phone the lady to give her some companionship? That’s a nice thing to do. Do you find lots to chat about?
Coffefirst I hope things settle down at work for you. It’s always hard being the new person especially in a small environment. Getting used to how others do things and trying to fit in. Hope things settle down for you.
Annie it must be hard but I think you’ve made the right choice. I have found that as I got older I developed a greater understanding of others than I had when I was young. Things that seemed straightforward then I can now see from a different angle. Maybe that will happen to your DGD when she gets older and has a family of her own. I think your idea of the videos is a wonderful one that would be a precious gift for them.
Ellie Anne hope you’ve had a good day and all is well.

Doodle Mon 16-May-22 22:06:05

Hello Joce glad you are still plodding on. Me too, although it’s a bit like walking through treacle at the moment.
Hope all is well for you and yours.

Joce345 Mon 16-May-22 23:22:47

Doodle I couldn’t have put it better, treacle yes thick treacle if you can get it thicker..
I’m not bad sill trying to get my head round it all .
It’s going to be a long road I think, but God is good ?
Thank you hope you and your are all good..
wishing you all a peaceful nights sleep

HowVeryDareYou Tue 17-May-22 10:35:22

Doodle Yes, I ring this lady (it's via company called Re-Engage) and we chat for an hour (I get 1 hour free on my landline). Despite the age difference (she's 20-odd years older than me), we seem to share similar views. I hope you and your husband are getting on ok.

How is everyone on this sunny day? I've been putting off doing this huge pile of ironing. I've been faffing about all morning without actually achieving anything grin. Hope everyone has a decent day x

Anniebach Tue 17-May-22 14:35:12

Hi all x

How is everyone ?

CoffeeFirst1 Tue 17-May-22 15:36:45

Afternoon everyone!

Doodle - I’ve been applying for a new job. Not sure if I’ll even hear back from them you never know. I mentioned it to a friend who suggested temping. I’m not sure I’d be much good or even who to contact but may look into that. I’d much prefer permanent.

Ronnie is sleeping, well snoring actually. It’s the weather making him tired.

I’m back to work tomorrow and no doubt the manager will be looking at ways to mess things up, ie more work..I wish she’d just let us get on with things.

Thursday I’m in the charity shop but it’s so quiet nowadays so may have to look elsewhere. A lot of the staff have now left.

Husband is in the garden, peace!

Hope everyone is ok?

Candy6 Tue 17-May-22 17:46:17

Hello everyone, I hope you don’t mind me muscling in but this seems such a non-judgemental, caring group that I think I want to join! I suffer from anxiety/depression and like most, have good and bad days. Long story that I won’t bore you with, but I have trauma and I’ve recently started EMDR for this. Not sure whether it’s working or not yet and in fact, it seems worse at times, all of which I’m told is a normal process. Had a very bad day yesterday but am feeling a bit better today but certainly not jumping through hoops! In fact, I just wasn’t in the right frame of mind to post yesterday or if I had, it would have been pretty desperate. I’m sure you will know what I mean. I feel so alone sometimes, even though I’m not and I truly feel for those who genuinely are. I just think it would be nice to get to know like-minded people who understand. Anyway, I did say I wouldn’t bore you, so I won’t. Thanks for reading.

Scaredycat Tue 17-May-22 17:59:39

EllieAnne- well done glad you arrived safely.Hope the cats are behaving themselves. Your daughter must be so glad that they have you there. Have you seen the invisible man yet?
Joce- nice to hear from you and pleased to hear you are still plodding along even though it is difficult for you. I hope you will get some peace of mind soon.
Doodle- hope this lovely weather means you and your DH can get out together for a walk and that his legs are not causing him too much discomfort today. Sorry you are still so troubled - so hard to bear when it involves somebody so close .
HVDY- forget the ironing just do a bit of folding!! Some days you don’t need to have achieved anything at all . Your lady must so enjoy having you to talk to - do you know wher she lives or do you remain anonymous?
Coffee first- hope you hear from the new job soon - it might be just what you need butif not you haven’t lost anything. I can understand your reluctance to temp it must be quite unsettling and it’s better to have a regular income too. I,m surprised your charity shop isn’t busy - but I suppose it could be because there are so many now.
Hope you enjoyed your quiet time - I expect Ronnie will wake up and want his walk once it cools down a bit.
Annie- you definitely made the right choice and your CD idea will be something for your DGD to cherish .
I went walking this morning it was very warm and then to photography group this afternoon. Have to drive on the motorway to get there including the new section of Smart motorway which feels anything but smart!! Scary yes.
Have you had the sunshine today Annie- hope the new blinds are working properly now.
Love to all the gang x

Doodle Tue 17-May-22 18:25:24

HVDY it’s a nice thing you do to chat to people. I’m sure it makes a difference to the lady you phone each week.
I’ve not had the inclination to do much today. A bit down. Went for nice walk but it was quite warm. You always seem to be on the go.
Joce hope you are getting on ok.
Hello Annie I’m ok how are you. Nothing has happened (that I know of) but I am overwhelmed with thé whatiferies that may be happening but hoping and praying they are not.
Coffeefirst good luck with your application. Some people are happy with temp work others don’t like the constant change. In some cases temp work can lead to a permanent job. Hope all goes well whatever.
Candy all are welcome here. We are a supporting and friendly group. We don’t know all the answers but we all know what depression and anxiety feel like.
We don’t get bored here. You can write as much or as little as you like about what is causing you problems. Sorry about the trauma. You won’t be alone here. We all care about each other. Some post every day, some now and again sometimes old posters pop in just to say hello. Hope the EMDR works for you. I don’t know much about it but hope it helps.
Ellie Anne hope you are settling in ok and the cats are behaving.
Scaredycat yes been for a nice (if somewhat slow) walk today.
To hot to dash about. Thank you for your kind thoughts.
I hate motorway driving too. Hope you enjoyed your photography. What was the subject this week?
Sweetpeasue hope you are doing ok. Not long now before your appointment. Take care.

HowVeryDareYou Tue 17-May-22 18:58:22

Scaredycat I did eventually do some ironing (shirts and t-shirts). The lady I ring lives just outside London, so nowhere near me (Nottingham). You're brave, going on a motorway. I can count on one hand the number of times I've done that. I stay local.
Doodle Sorry you're down today - I hope tomorrow will be better for you. I try to fill my days as much as I can. If I didn't, I'd sit here and do nothing all day.
Candy Welcome. What is EMDR? I'm starting CBT over the 'phone this Thursay. Is it anything similar?

I went to see my brother and his wife this afternoon for a couple of hours. Took her some flowers. It's been warm (muggy) here today but now looks like rain, it's gone dark and overcast. I hope everyone else has been ok today. x

Joce345 Tue 17-May-22 21:45:04

Hello all..
Annie how are you ?

Scaredycat thank you I’m not doing bad life is a bit of a struggle at time for me but I keep plodding best I can..

Doodle I’m one day at a time hope you are feeling better soon
It’s a horrible feeling the what ifs, hopefully it will pass for you soon...

Thinking of you all take care.
Hope everyone has a peaceful night sleep ?

Ellie Anne Tue 17-May-22 21:51:38

One cat is fine the other is a pain. Can’t get it to take medication and it’s been very Ill. The invisible man is still invisible! I’m still very nervous at night so sleeping badly. I’m going home on Saturday and dh is coming to do the next bit. I know he’ll hate it but too bad.

HowVeryDareYou Wed 18-May-22 09:06:03

How is everyone this morning? It's bright and sunny here. I've been up since 6.30 but haven't done anything yet, still not dressed and can't be bothered.... hope everyone has a decent day x

Candy6 Wed 18-May-22 09:35:14

Hi all, hope all are ok today and if not, I hope you’re day gets better. It’s sunny here so that always makes me feel a bit brighter. Thank you for the warm welcome. For those who don’t know, EMDR is a trauma treatment which works on re-setting the brain to a much calmer place. It’s not an easy treatment and I’m told it sometimes has to get worse before getting better so ?. I’m plodding on with it for now anyway. Wishing everyone all the best today xx

Scaredycat Wed 18-May-22 14:19:24

Candy6- hello and welcome.I do hope the EMDR works for you- I just googled it because I,d never heard of it before.
Yes I expect it takes a bit of practice to learn and understand.
I,m sorry you have suffered trauma but you are certainly not alone here. Hope today is a good one for you.
Doodle- It’s warm again today for walking. I,ve just had a walk and coffee with our eldest GD(36) on one of her days off - I felt exhausted afterwards. Mind you the amount of nattering and walking at the same time didn’t help- but it was lovely.
I don’t mind motorway driving as I have done such a lot of it but these new stretches of Smart motorways are so dangerous and scare me. But a lot scares me as you,ve probably gathered by now!!!
Our monthly photography meeting subjects were Street Art,exercise and sport. Very interesting to see everyone’s take on those subjects.
I hope you’ve been able to get out today and that the Whatifferies have abated.x
SweetPeaSue- hope you are ok and not feeling too uncomfortable today.
HVDY- the lure of the ironing board proved too much for you yesterday!!
It must be so nice to be able to see your brother and his wife often. I expect she loves the flowers.
EllieAnne- It’s almost impossible to get a cat to do anything it doesn’t want to do in fact they don’t do cooperation often.
Bet you,d like to be a fly on the wall when your DH has a go next week!
Annie- hope you,re ok today . Have you managed any different foods this week? xx
I miss Nonnie- hope she’s ok.
Love to allxx

Anniebach Wed 18-May-22 15:39:11

Hi all x

I am late today, the food additions are giving problems.

Candy6 welcome, please be assured you will not bore anyone
on this thread so do post no matter if you feel ok or pretty desperate. I have had EMDR therapy , it helped me, do you find at times you are reliving the trauma? If so it will pass, you can’t forget the trauma but the emotions it brings will calm,
did you have to choose a safe place and a peace of music ? x

Scaredycat motorway driving, it never troubled me but haven’t driven for several years and much has changed on our
roads, you did it even though it scares you, ? x

Ellie Anne bravo, you don’t like being alone at night ? yet you
are doing so this week ? x

Doodle your mind must be in such turmoil my love , sending
a cwtch x

Joyce keep plodding, you are braver than you thought are you not ? x

Coffeefirst hope work was ok today, keep looking for another
job which appeals to you x

HVDY a day of doing nothing can be a day well spent, I am
thinking of the ironing you do x

Friends, you know I was volunteering last week, I was told by someone who was having help with her anxiety from a therapist, when she was feeling waves of panic she gripped a
thumb and squeezed it until she felt calmer. This is not
NHS treatment I hasten to add, she was seeing an ‘alternative
practitioner’ .

How is everyone?

Doodle Wed 18-May-22 21:50:25

HVDY I knew you’d do the ironing in the end. ? you are so industrious.
Up at 6.30. ?. That’s the middle of the night. ?
How is your brother doing is he feeling better.
Joce hope you are getting on ok. I’m doing like you, one day at a time. Sometimes it’s the only way. Take care
Ellie Anne sorry the cat is ill. It must be hard for you giving it medication. Will you be ok when you get home even though you will be on your own there (assuming your husband takes over cat duties)? I hate to think of you being frightened. I never liked being on my own at tonight either.
Candy you must have suffered quite some trauma for them to try EMDR. I hope it doesn’t get worse for you but that it helps you very soon. Do you have to go to hospital for treatment? How far into the course are you?
Hope you have a good day too.
Scaredycat you are much braver than me. I don’t like motorways I get flustered.
How nice you got to spend time with your GD. It’s been a beautiful day for a walk. Thé whatiferies fluctuate. Sometimes I can keep them at bay for a while then they come back again. I won’t be ok till I find out how things are going with the family but I’m not pestering them just waiting till they get in touch.
What subject did you choose for your photography?
Annie I thought you would know about EMDR. Candy has come to the right place.
Thank you for your lovely cwtch.
I wonder if the thumb squeezing helps. Obviously not much help if you have arthritis and can’t hold on.
When you do volunteering do you get to talk to people on the phone?
Hope everyone has a good night. Sleep well.

Anniebach Thu 19-May-22 11:50:11

Hi all x

My change of diet, proving impossible, will not be able to have a cooked meal, can’t even lift a plate into a microwave, would have to pay for someone to do it, at £15 a visit ! Very expensive
meal.

Doddle I have been a volunteer in the mental health field since the 80’s, done telephone help line, face to face and yes I was with Samaritans too. I did have training .also did dog bereavement. Thank God mental health problems are now talked of but still someway to go.

On a light note, I have always been involved in demonstrations
for things I felt strongly about. On one occasion I was leaving the house to join a demo for the Free Mandela campaign,
my father said ‘take care ‘, my mother said ‘don’t get yourself on television’ . Mothers ?.

How is everyone?

Doodle Thu 19-May-22 14:53:14

Annie you can’t be the only person in this state. How are people supposed to eat when their hands don’t work as they need to. Could your carer perhaps make you sandwiches that you could unwrap when you are ready to eat. Sandwiches or rolls could have all sorts of fillings. Not as nice as a hot dinner but something.
That experience has been put to good use on the BD thread. Over the years you have helped, supported and encouraged so many. Me included. x
Your post about your mother made me laugh. ?

Doodle Thu 19-May-22 14:54:07

DH and I are having an “at home” today. Hair washing, sewing and a jigsaw puzzle await. How is everyone?

HowVeryDareYou Thu 19-May-22 16:18:48

Doodle My brother is doing ok, thanks - he's going to be referred to someone about his hernia. I hope yu and your husband are ok and have had a relaxing day
Anniebach What about a jacket potato? There are frozen (McCain) ones in the shops, which don't take long to cook.
You could have various fillings.
Coffeefirst Good luck with the job application.
EllieAnne What does the cat take medication for? One of mine used to have a gel rubbed onto her ear. That was easier than pills. I think it was for Hyperthyroidism. She also had a liquid for something. I syringed straight into her mouth,
ScaredyCat your photography sounds very interesting. My dad and 2 brothers used to belong to a camera club and they took photos of different things each week. They had all the equipment, and one brother even had a darkroom.
Candy6 Best of luck with the EMDR, I hope it's helpful

I went to the day centre today. Had lasagne, salad, and garlic bread, then sponge and custard. It's very warm and sunny here now. I'm feeling a bit anxious about a bubble echocardiogram I had a couple of weeks ago. I'm worried in case it's a hole in the heart (possible) but I haven't had the results yet, so I'm probably worrying unnecessarily. (I hope so)

DH has just got in from work, so I'm going to have a coffee now. Love to all x

Ellie Anne Thu 19-May-22 17:45:50

The cat is on antibiotics. She had major surgery for kidney and bladder problems and gets infections. Thankfully she had only 2 doses left. Also had metacalm -painkiller which she should get if in pain. How am I supposed to know that!!!
I’m getting less nervous at night and I’ll be fine at home. Except for checking the door many times.
Definition of lonely - answering phone when it’s a silly number hoping to speak to someone.
Annie I was wondering about meals on wheels if they still exist? Or something similar with no cooking or heating involved.
You have helped so many people during your life. I’ve been a waste of space. I wanted to join Samaritans but convinced myself I’d be useless and people wouldn’t like me so I never did.
I did training for pregnancy crisis counselling and post abortion but there was not much demand for it in my area.

Scaredycat Thu 19-May-22 19:31:35

Doodle- it must be so hard for you to wait for to hear what is happening with your family. Uncertainty is one of the hardest things to bear I find. As you say one day at a time but it’s not easy is it.
I chose StreetArt as my main subject as it’s something I really like and I found some great stuff with the help of DH driving.
I hope you,ve enjoyed your day at homexx
HVDY- your menu today made my mouth water what a lovely meal. I can understand your anxiety re the echocardiogram . Fingers crossed it will all be worry for nothing. Glad your DH is ok and back at work now. You must look forward to hearing his key in the door.
EllieAnne- please don’t knock yourself so much. You are most definitely not a waste of space .
You are a kind caring lady and obviously a great Mum . Is there no way your training can be used even on a voluntary basis. So many young women suffer in pregnancy one way or another .
Annie- it seems outrageous that there is no way you can get help to have a hot meal. I think Meals on Wheels still exists but I,m not sure . Do you have Facebook because I think most areas have a local page with all sorts of help etc on.
You who have helped so many deserves help now you need it.
Your Mum must have been very proud of you and your caring spirit.

Love to,all

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion