Gransnet forums

Health

?‍♀️Hip Replacement #2 ?‍♀️ (Knees Welcome!) ?‍♀️

(1000 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 23-Jun-22 08:38:52

Hello! ?
Welcome to ? 2!

A huge thank you and well done to Silverlining thanks for creating the first thread (which I’ll link to shortly)
It was an amazingly successful thread; which was remarkable considering that most of the time it was invisible! smile

iPadGrandma Wed 03-Aug-22 08:36:09

Thank you for all the good wishes for my surgery!

GrannyLaine Wed 03-Aug-22 10:31:09

FannyCornforth

Thank you Callistemon! I don’t mind bossy at all smile

I’m going for a blood test at The Nuffield tomorrow (‘pop in anytime’) and my results will be back by Friday (‘I’ll ring you as soon as I get them’)

It’s a different world isn’t it?

Getting a blood test via my GP would be a right rigmarole (including the bonkers 8am phone roulette) and take about 3 weeks.
And I must add that my GP Surgery is absolutely brilliant. I can’t fault them at all.

And even better service at the vets! Our practice has an in-house lab so one of our cats had some blood drawn at 9.45 today and the vet has just called me to discuss results.

Hope all is well Fanny and that you're feeling better flowers

GrannyLaine Wed 03-Aug-22 10:34:20

iPadGrandma, I'm so happy that you finally have a date. The anxiety is understandable but once you get that new hip joint it will be onwards and upwards. I'll look forward to hearing all about it.

travelsafar Fri 05-Aug-22 10:26:29

So happy right now as I managed a 25min walk in the beautiful sunshine this morning. All the horrible back and leg pain has gone. I still have soreness at the wound site and an ache in the hip area at the back but I know eventually that will go. Feel like I'm getting my life back smile

silverlining48 Fri 05-Aug-22 10:43:22

Well done travels. 25 minutes is a decent walk especially if it’s a first one.
Welcome to the other side, those who know the difference a new hip makes. Early days still, but a step at a time. You will get there.

Aveline Fri 05-Aug-22 11:33:20

Great stuff travelsafar!
I'm just back from my first Aquafit class. What a workout! 45 minutes of solid exercise. I enjoyed it but found the cardio side harder than any muscle or joint exercise. Of course I'm not particularly fit after just walking all these months. I'm feeling quite tired after the class but a nice tired if you know what I mean. Hip and knees were all fine.

silverlining48 Fri 05-Aug-22 12:36:28

I used to do a lot of acquasize/fit , years ago now and was always surprised to see how hot and red faced the very fit woman who took the class was. I felt fine in the water. Maybe I wasn’t working hard enough.
Can’t face a cold pool though now, but saying that it is a good way exercise as the water buoyancy supports the body from too much strain. I might have a look and see what is available in my neck of the woods and temperature of the pool.
In Germany they have stopped heating water in pools so it must be freezing.
Well done Aveline. Was it ok getting in and our of the water, those steps are sometimes quite steep.

Fanny how are you today? How did your appt go? Hope it was helpful.

SusieB50 Sat 06-Aug-22 21:23:04

I do enjoy my weekly water exercise classes. So far the water is still fairly warm as the same pool is used for babies before our session.
Well done * Travels* a good walk for the first time . I walked back from the high street yesterday without using my stick , I felt slightly anxious as my vision isn’t very good in my right eye at the moment , but all good and more confidence gained !

Aveline Sat 06-Aug-22 21:51:26

I'm really suffering today after really going for it at the Aquafit class yesterday. The instructor is very good and works through all the muscle groups non stop and fast. He said I'd be sore today. My core muscles are aching which is a strange feeling but not surprising I suppose as I haven't used them for several years now.

travelsafar Sat 06-Aug-22 23:59:12

What an exhausting day!!! Two sons and family plus my sister visited. It was lovely and they did so many jobs for me but after they went I had some cooking to do to use up defrosted meat from freezer as had to clean old fridge freezer out for new one being delivered this morning. Plus a new washing machine and a week's worth of laundry done but hung out by my lovely DIL. She also sorted out lunch wiv my sister. I finally finished everything bout 7pm after they had gone, sat down and promptly fell asleep, hence the late night to bed. No walk or exercise completed today so tomorrow I will get back on track. So lucky to have family who care.❤

Aveline Sun 07-Aug-22 08:12:38

You don't need exercise after such a busy day. Do you have a step counter or Fitbit tracker thing? It's amazing how the steps mount up when family is visiting. You don't notice it but you'll be up and down and through to the kitchen etc. Sounds like a very nice day though. Relax today?

iPadGrandma Sun 07-Aug-22 09:43:40

Good morning everyone, hope you are all doing well this morning.
My only news is that I had my MRI scan of hip/pelvis yesterday morning. And this morning we are back to the hospital for a PCR test at noon. Apparently this has to be done three days before surgery, so the appointment had to be today and couldn’t be combined with yesterday’s visit.
So two trips in a weekend to the same hospital will be interesting; at least it’s is only about seven miles away.
Hope everyone has a comfortable day.

SusieB50 Sun 07-Aug-22 15:55:48

Yes I was backwards and forwards to the host prior to my hip replacement. Blood and urine tests and swabs , then back for a PCR , then back again for blood cross matching in case I needed a transfusion . Then I was informed I had a urine infection so op cancelled for two weeks . I had to do all the tests and swabs all over again !

SusieB50 Sun 07-Aug-22 22:35:54

Hospital not “host!!”

travelsafar Mon 08-Aug-22 11:55:40

I think i have been doing to much as i have developed a 'new' pain in hip area. Its hard not to be busy when you dont actually feel ill and i am so determined to get back to 'normal' as soon as possible. After my walk i was hanging washing on the line, i was on my feet tidying my kitchen and bathroom and then trying to do a couple of things in the garden including using the hose in case we get a ban. I am going to spend today quietly and rest with my feet up. Glad i am at the hospital tomorrow to be checked over. NO walk today for me just my gentle exercises.

silverlining48 Mon 08-Aug-22 12:48:57

Yes travels remembering the early days when I frightened myself by having a too long walk and feeling the pain afterwards. Just rest today, you are doing well.

SusieB50 Mon 08-Aug-22 16:05:45

Take it easy travelasfar gently does it . I crossed my legs without thinking today when I sat down ! Haven’t been able to for ages. My osteopath worked wonders last week and I have another appointment tomorrow after gentle swimming so I’ll be raring to go for my week’s holiday with the family . Just reminded my SiL that I will have to pack a folding chair in the car as I will never be able to get up from the beach!

Aveline Mon 08-Aug-22 16:07:47

Oh yes the dreaded ODIC as it's called on Bonesmart - the over did it club!

GrannyLaine Tue 09-Aug-22 22:06:51

iPadGrandma thinking of you tonight & wishing you well for tomorrow flowers
Fanny any news? Hope you’re feeling much better

travelsafar Tue 09-Aug-22 23:48:54

Trip to the hospital this morning for wound to be checked and clean dressing. All good and I can remove this dressing end of the week. Resting all day yesterday and elevating my leg last night when in bed did the trick, no pain this morning or swollen knee. I learned my lesson and will proceed with caution.smile

iPadGrandma Wed 10-Aug-22 05:36:26

GrannyLaine. Thank you for your good wishes.

Up and dressed to be at hospital for 7.30 this morning.
It’s far too early for me and I hope I will feel less nervous when I have actually arrived at the hospital.

Will be back when I feel up to it!

Aveline Wed 10-Aug-22 06:44:49

Good luck. You'll be fine. Really you will. See you on the other side (of the op!)

travelsafar Wed 10-Aug-22 11:14:34

Hope all goes well for you iPadGrandma will be thinking of you.

silverlining48 Wed 10-Aug-22 17:42:16

Good luck iPadGrandma. It will be over now and it’s day 1 of your recovery.

SusieB50 Wed 10-Aug-22 19:11:08

Hopefully you are back in bed having had a nice cuppa. Everything will be fine , three weeks today you will be wondering what you were worried about !