Gransnet forums

Health

Are you wearing a mask re Covid

(278 Posts)
Bea65 Fri 01-Jul-22 18:07:08

So now i've started wearing a mask again and always in Pharmacy where the staff have always done and also in the GP surgery when I've gone to get results or ask about a health issue?

henetha Fri 01-Jul-22 19:33:47

I had completely stopped but now with numbers rising I'm going to start again

Ailidh Fri 01-Jul-22 19:39:14

I haven't worn one since I had covid over Easter, reckoning that I could neither give it nor get it for a few weeks.

I ironed a batch today (it's been a slow day) and am beginning to think about it again for crowded places.

Daddima Fri 01-Jul-22 19:41:16

Reading some of these replies, are there still people who don’t realise that masks are to stop you spreading the virus, not catching it?

AreWeThereYet Fri 01-Jul-22 19:46:03

My friend wears one all the time and got CoviD last week

Not suggesting that your friend behaved in the same way, but a neighbour of ours got Covid a few weeks ago and complained bitterly about having had to wear masks for over a year when they obviously don't work. She always used to take hers off when she stopped to talk to people and quite often had it hanging from her ear. She did tell me once she had only ever bought one box of masks since the very beginning and was obviously quite proud of the fact hmm

GagaJo Fri 01-Jul-22 19:49:08

No, but it has occurred to me that I should start again. This new variant is said to be more focused on the lungs, which worries me.

cornergran Fri 01-Jul-22 19:51:28

We wear them in healthcare settings and anywhere it seems particularly busy.

Marydoll Fri 01-Jul-22 19:55:38

I have, but I'm immunocompromised.

I have had two GP appointmentss in the last week and all staff and most patients were wearing them.
In shops it's about half and half.
The pharmacy staff are also masked.

I was also in A&E a few weeks ago and was shocked to see so many maskless patients in the very crowded waiting room. A very dangerous place for people like me to be, but I was seen immediately, thank goodness.

The first thing I was asked was if had had Covid in the last 90 days, as were all patients. Those who had not had Covid, were tested straight away.

So many have become complacent.

lixy Fri 01-Jul-22 20:05:31

Yes I do, on the train and in crowded indoor places - though I avoid those if I can.
I have one ready for shopping in Sainsbury's tomorrow.

FlexibleFriend Fri 01-Jul-22 20:23:54

I never stopped and have so far avoided Covid.

Delila Fri 01-Jul-22 20:26:25

Yes.

Poppyred Fri 01-Jul-22 20:30:21

No, time to get back to normal…….not sure that they provided any protection to be honest.

Farzanah Fri 01-Jul-22 20:37:20

PPF 2 and 3 masks do provide protection, and even if you consider yourself invincible consider those like Marydoll who are immune compromised.
Omicron 4 and 5 is on the rise, and it is very infectious and can evade current vaccines, although they do provide some protection from death and serious illness. Hospital admissions and ICU admissions are also on the rise.
I can’t understand complacency. We’re not into the winter yet.

welbeck Fri 01-Jul-22 20:37:27

i have worn mask or face covering since feb 2020.

pieinthesky Fri 01-Jul-22 21:11:37

We both had Omicron a few weeks ago and felt that being fully vaccinated as well we might have some immunity for a few weeks. Recently we read that having Omicron does not give you any extra immunity so have started to wear masks again when in busy shops. Ironically we caught it from a family member who did not realise he had Covid. I am immune compromised and will be having my 5th jab in the coming week. I was given anti virals the day after testing positive and fortunately suffered no serious effects but don’t want to catch it again.

BlueSky Fri 01-Jul-22 21:31:50

Unless the masks are FFp3 and a new one used each time, they are not going to be of much help.

Deedaa Fri 01-Jul-22 21:40:45

As all the rest of my household have had Covid over the last two weeks I am wearing a mask when I go shopping because I don't want to risk giving it to anyone else.

travelsafar Fri 01-Jul-22 21:41:08

Always when out shopping or in health settings. But not at home even with guests. Had a shock when a friend who came for lunch on Monday rang me weds to say she had covid her husband tested positive Thursday. Thankfully after testing myself both days I am negative. Very relieved as going for pre op assessment on Monday 4th and didn't want to cancel it. I am worried about the increase as having hip replacement later this month and would hate for it to be cancelled, plus of course don't want people in general to be poorly.

Redrobin51 Fri 01-Jul-22 21:41:21

I wear it in a health care setting, pharmacy or in places like supermarkets when they are busy or small shops.

NannaAngel Sat 02-Jul-22 02:16:05

The world is trying to normalise Covid and get on with “ normal” living but seriously folks, the ever changing Covid virus didn’t get the memo! You get it through you mouth nose and eyeballs, same as you would walking into a cloud of cigarette smoke. Unfortunately getting it means catching it again is much higher. Keep wearing the masks!

riete Sat 02-Jul-22 04:46:32

still wearing mine indoors with other people. for the tiny percentage of chance it might help me, and the larger chance of helping people, not to catch covid.
despite so many people's insistence we must get back to "normal" i remain extremely vulnerable. and i'd appreciate it if people would wear a mask for my sake and the millions of others in my position. after all, we all wore a mask when the risk was over-burdening the nhs and overfilling the hospitals.

Bea65 Sat 02-Jul-22 05:53:49

travelsafar hope all goes well with your pre-assessment ..it is worrying that infection rates have doubled in the last week and have procedure on Tuesday that I don't want cancelled as its taken so long to get booked and, anxious that NHS staffing levels are low enough without more staff falling sick...
NannaAngel Yes think this should be a Reminder for All..brings back the awful painful memories some of us have who lost family, friends and colleagues to this virus flowers

nanna8 Sat 02-Jul-22 06:05:25

One of our newspaper columnists here had just visited London and remarked that absolutely the only people wearing masks are American tourists. It is as if Covid doesn’t exist. Interesting. Not many wear them here now, probably around 20 % who still do.

Bea65 Sat 02-Jul-22 06:21:51

nanna8 are you in U.S.? Just wondering as some of our U.S.family have recently visited London/UK last couple of weeks and have returned home with Covid, couple of them are pretty sick!

M0nica Sat 02-Jul-22 06:46:06

*We are going to have to get used to living with COVID, essentially it is not that different to flu, I speak about the way it spreads and constantly mutates.

We have lived with flu, for thousands of years and it has always been a disease that can kill. modern vaccinations means that it is far less dangerous and most deaths occur among the unvaccinated. This is what is happening with COVID. There is no way it can be eliminated.

So, as long as you are assiduous in keeping your vaccinations up to date, you are at a very low risk, and while current vaccinations cannot entiely stop you getting COVID, most people will not and those who do get it are unlikely to end up in hospital, on ventilation or dead.

This is perfectly normal. My children had all their childhood jabs, yet DS still got measles and both had whooping cough. On the other hand, these illnesses, lasted a few days. As a child before vaccinations, both my sisters were very seriously ill with whooping cough, a friend has suffered from damaged lungs all her life following whooping cough.

Compare and contrast.

growstuff Sat 02-Jul-22 06:57:19

Daddima

Reading some of these replies, are there still people who don’t realise that masks are to stop you spreading the virus, not catching it?

FFP2 masks fit closer to the face and help prevent both spreading and catching any virus.