Gransnet forums

Health

👯‍♀️Hip & Knee Replacement #3 👯‍♀️

(1001 Posts)
FannyCornforth Mon 05-Dec-22 12:03:11

Hello 👋

Here is the new thread!
Thank you to regular and irregular posters all.

Especially those such as Silverling and Charleygirl who have provided so much advise and support. (There are lots of other lovely posters, but too many to list).

As well as advice, there is also much wisdom and kindness.

I will link to the first and second threads below.

Wherever you are on your replacement journey, you are most welcome to join us here smile

grannysyb Thu 25-May-23 18:01:28

Just had a phone call from my doctor, I had an xray on Tuesday, she has now referred me to my local stand alone hub for a knee replacement, hope it's as quick as last time I only had to wait three months for my hip to be done.

silverlining48 Thu 25-May-23 21:49:12

That was quick grannysyb, let’s hope you don’t have too long to wait. Are you in a lot of pain?Mine seemed to come and go until I had an injection when it just got worse and I knew it needed to be done.
Do keep in touch, this thread has helped many over the past 18 months.

fflur Sat 27-May-23 11:16:20

That was quick granny hope you have your operation soon. How is your scar coming on downtoearth? I saw my osteopath yesterday and she says although my surgery leg is strong my painful leg isn't and needs time to catch up. I had tried using my walking poles slightly differently as in Nordic walking and she thinks the change in my gait compromised my muscles etc. Knee taped up now and frequent icing, but cant go far now which is disappointing. Enjoy your bank holidays and your excursions ladies. Love hearing how you are all getting on.

susytish Mon 29-May-23 11:37:21

Here I am 15 weeks post op, right TKR.
I am struggling. Thought I would be well on the way to recovery. Consultant said I would be able to fly to the US to see our son and new baby after 3 months. I don’t think I had any idea that I would be like this.
Have physio at the hospital 7 June, probably last one. Previous on 3 weeks ago. I was tearful and physio said you are doing fine!
What have others experienced at this point?
My legs ache. Sleep is interrupted. Do stretching exercises every day, walk a bit, not enough probably.
Arthritis in right hip and I am worried these pains are due to that, or the way I am walking maybe. Others have said your gait changes but you still think of the way you were walking before.
I feel very frustrated, every day is the same, can’t see improvement, although some days there is a small window when it doesn’t feel so bad.

silverlining48 Mon 29-May-23 12:00:43

Hang onto the small window of happiness when all seems to be getting better. The window will get bigger as days go by.
I had a new hip which I realise now is probably easier and faster to recover from but know a few kneesters and know recovery takes a little longer. If the physio says you are doing ok then you are.
As to flying after 3 months that may relate to being safe dvt wise but not that you will necessarily be able to run around like you did before. . That takes a little longer.
Try and get out every day fir a short walk, you will feel all the better fir it.

silverlining48 Mon 29-May-23 12:04:12

As to physio, i was told by my physio that if she felt i wasnt ready fir discharge she woukd keep me on.
Have you looked into hydrotherapy, its self referral and I had 6 classes 7 months post operation. Loved the warm water.

downtoearth Mon 29-May-23 12:26:03

Good afternoon hipsters/ kneesters.
Grannysyb that is quick,hope you dont wait too long now for your surgery.
Fflur,thankyou for asking,pesky thing is still not healed,after walking into town and back I felt it pull apart yesterday,back to the doctors thursday for another dressing/ and wound check,have had a swab taken last week.
I am sorry that your unoperated leg is causing you pain,and you arent getting the pleasure of being pain free to walk,hope your osteopath can help.
Susy,I am sorry that you are still in pain,sometimes it feels like recovery is endless and you wont ever get there,hold on to thought that you will,I have heard knees take longer and are more painful,gentle hug for you.
I also agree with SL re DVT's when flying,but congratulations on your new grandson,I understand how eagerly longing you are to get there.
Hope everyone has a good afternoon,and pleasant weather,and some happy pastimes,wether you are alone or have some company smile

Charleygirl5 Mon 29-May-23 12:27:15

I have had both knees done and each was problematic, especially painwise.

I was taking a lot of drugs for pain and I jettisoned any exercises. I was living on my own and had to devote my energy to that.

I agree with silverlining and believe your physio if she says you are fine.

Please be careful because if you cannot fly after 3 months you have to let the DVLA know. You may have read recently they are trying to get us all off the road.

Walk a little, rest and snooze if you feel like it. Please do not stress yourself.

silverlining48 Mon 29-May-23 14:15:09

Grannysyb that’s quick, hope you get an appt soon. You certainly didn’t wait long fir your last op. Keep in touch and let us know how things go.

silverlining48 Mon 29-May-23 14:23:13

One more try.... grin

FannyCornforth Mon 29-May-23 14:42:02

Well done Silver smile

I share your frustration too Susytish
I will post a proper reply later

silverlining48 Mon 29-May-23 18:13:20

With my One more try I hit the no 1 jackpot! Let’s see where this leads us ..

silverlining48 Mon 29-May-23 18:14:35

That managed third from
Bottom. Ridiculous and inexplicable.
And post!

silverlining48 Mon 29-May-23 18:15:22

Nope still 3rd from bottom. Last try

silverlining48 Mon 29-May-23 18:16:22

ARGHHHH

Aveline Mon 29-May-23 18:40:09

If you have to fly why not book an extra legroom seat and airport assistance. I did that once and it was great. Extra legroom seat cost a bit more but was well worth it.

fflur Mon 29-May-23 19:20:51

Hi Susytish, sorry you are in pain and discomfort at 15 weeks post TKR. Does your physio believe the problem is solely with your knee or are your hip, feet or other leg part of the problem? The drs allowed people flying back fromto do so 7 days after surgery but it was recommended they stayed longer for rehabilitation. I had only a short flight back to Bristol but there were people there from British Columbia who had a 10 hour flight back to Utah followed by a long drive over the Rockies . I know of other people who flew from USA and even Australia. It's not something to look forward to I know but people do it. I think it's important to book airport assistance for both departure and arrival. They wheel wheel you through everything help with luggage, take you through customs etc. I never got out of my wheel chair. They wheel you to the bus that takes you to the plane and you enter the plane by a lift at the back. So it might be best to book seats at the back of the plane although that would be further from the toilets. There may be more leg room at the front but you would have to make your way down the plane when all the other passengers are coming on from the front and even if you are on crutches you get jostled and held up by people loading the overhead lockers. I flew back with Ryanair but had enough room with an aisle seat. If you are still putting ice on your knee you could take some freezer bags and ask the staff to put ice cubes in for you.
I realise a long flight is daunting though and you may not be up to doing all the things you planned.

susytish Mon 29-May-23 19:27:42

fflur I actually did this a few years ago when my knee was just starting to be fun! It was brilliant, especially going through Customs in the US!
The other thing is my husband has cancer(Sarcoma) and has not been able to get travel insurance. Still trying.

silverlining48 Tue 30-May-23 16:51:02

Sorry to hear about your husband Susy. Hope you can get insurance sorted out.

susytish Mon 05-Jun-23 21:06:46

Seem to be stuck. 16ish weeks, with right TKR. Not feeling any better, every day doing some exercise, ice, walking etc. Beginning to feel nothing is going to change.
I have some arthritis in right hip so wonder if that is impacting, when it didn’t before.
Have physio appointment at the hospital on Wednesday so hoping they can give me some hope.
I think I really thought I would be well on the mend by now. You have the op, some physio appointments, that’s it really, you are on your own.
Please can someone give me some hope!

Charleygirl5 Mon 05-Jun-23 22:33:01

susytish I do agree that 16 weeks does seem to be a long time and you feel you have not made much progress.

When you see the physio and you feel there has been no improvement I would suggest you are seen by the surgeon again.

It seemed to take me longer than most, around 6 months before I felt comfortable lying on my side in bed.

Maybe write down the questions you need to ask the physio because I appreciate time is at a premium. Good luck.

Aveline Tue 06-Jun-23 07:21:28

Susytish what is the actual problem? Are you in pain? Is your knee not bending fully? Is the wound not healed?
If you're still in trouble after 16 weeks it's time to see your surgeon again.
I had manipulation under anaesthetic at 12 weeks after my first TKR. This worked well. I needed it due to adhesions after inflammation caused by physio exercises.
Hope things improve soon.

FannyCornforth Tue 06-Jun-23 07:30:55

Hello all

I saw my surgeon yesterday.
My legs aren’t actually different lengths after all.

I had an X-ray and the problem (chronic pain in back and feet, not able to walk much) is due to my hips not being level.
The unoperated hip is much lower than the other one.

Apparently this is due to the osteoarthritis in my lumbar region.

He suggested that my GP should refer me to the Pain Clinic at the hospital.

I am very upset and had a bit of a mini break down yesterday sad

silverlining48 Tue 06-Jun-23 09:42:06

I am sorry you are upset Fanny but it’s good news that your legs are even.
I hope X-rays etc on your back help explain your problem with pain. No doubt the pain clinic will deal with that and hope it’s not too long a wait as constant pain is very hard to have to deal with. Sending you all good wishes and flowers

FannyCornforth Tue 06-Jun-23 09:46:36

Thanks Silver
It just seems never ending, and I got the impression yesterday that I’m just stuck with it now, and that it will only get worse.
I really, really hope that my appointment tomorrow is more positive
Thanks again x

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion