Gransnet forums

Health

Pneumonia injection - what do people think?

(111 Posts)
DaisyL Thu 23-Mar-23 11:53:15

Has anyone had the pneumonia injection? My GP surgery has just rung and offered one to me and I have told the I'm going to think about it - seem to have had so many jabs recently.

janeyjane Mon 27-Mar-23 18:36:49

The pneumonia vaccine a protection against viral pneumonia (23 different strains). It is a one off vaccination for the majority of people.

Mosie Tue 28-Mar-23 08:17:39

I agree with the concept that pneumonia is the old man’s friend. I’ll skip it but will enquire about the shingles jab.

Iam64 Tue 28-Mar-23 08:51:10

Movie, I share that belief. My husband had the pneumonia injection but still developed the disease after a catastrophic stroke. 💙

M0nica Tue 28-Mar-23 18:00:11

The pneu jab does not protect you from all kinds of pneumonia, only pneumonia caused by streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria.

It does not protect you from: bacterial pneumonia, viral pneumonia, mycoplasma pneumonia or fungal pneumonia.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 28-Mar-23 18:13:44

M0nica, several of us have pointed out the limitations of the pneumococcus jab, but apparently without success!

humptydumpty Tue 28-Mar-23 18:46:33

I had it last year with no problems; I believe it's only needed once in a lifetime.

Elegran Tue 28-Mar-23 19:44:56

M0nica

The pneu jab does not protect you from all kinds of pneumonia, only pneumonia caused by streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria.

It does not protect you from: bacterial pneumonia, viral pneumonia, mycoplasma pneumonia or fungal pneumonia.

Pneumonia used to called "The old man's friend" but in helpfully assisting the old off this mortal coil (killing about 1 in 20 of those who get it), it can cause some painful and distressing conditions. "Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria is the commonest cause of community acquired pneumonia, accounting for up to 70% of cases in hospital. Pneumococcal pneumonia is associated with bacteraemia more frequently than other bacterial pneumonias4 and mortality from bacteraemic pneumococcal pneumonia during the first few days of hospitalisation has changed little since the pre-antibiotic era.5 ,6 There is also evidence, from the UK and other countries, that the number of cases of pneumococcal bacteraemia is rising." thorax.bmj.com/content/54/10/929

Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria can cause infections ranging from ear and sinus infections to pneumonia and bloodstream infections.

Older adults with pneumococcal pneumonia may experience confusion or low alertness, rather than the more common symptoms.

Complications of pneumococcal pneumonia include:

Empyema (infection around the lungs and in the chest cavity)
Pericarditis (inflammation of the outer lining of the heart)
Endobronchial obstruction (blockage of the airway that allows air into the lungs), with atelectasis (collapse within the lungs) and abscess (collection of pus) in the lungs

Pneumococcal pneumonia kills about 1 in 20 who get it.

Complications include _
Meningitis - About 1 in 12 children and 1 in 6 older adults who get pneumococcal meningitis dies of the infection. Those who survive may have long-term problems, such as hearing loss or developmental delay.
Bacteremia (a blood infection) - About 1 in 30 children with pneumococcal bacteremia die of it. Pneumococcal bacteremia kills about 1 in 8 adults who get it. For those who survive, pneumococcal bacteremia can lead to loss of limb(s).

Sepsis - Complications of sepsis include kidney failure and damage to the brain, lungs, or heart.

www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/pneumococcal-infections

Greyduster Tue 28-Mar-23 20:44:52

Both DH and I had it when it was offered. Neither of us had any side effects. He had had pneumonia before, in his fifties. He was a fit man but it laid him dreadfully low. Anything that will lessen the effects of it has to be to your advantage.

Nannagarra Tue 28-Mar-23 22:09:19

I’ve had it and didn’t think twice.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 28-Mar-23 23:56:26

It is supposed to be one shot for life. I accepted the offer of one about 15 years ago because of my asthma, which often triggers other respiratory symptoms. It hasn't made those crises go away but they are less severe than they once were.