Gransnet forums

Health

I've changed shape! Have you?

(59 Posts)
Skydancer Sat 20-May-23 12:17:21

I only weigh about 4lbs more than when I was young. But now I look heavier and certainly flabbier. I tried on some trousers this morning - okay from the front but, from the side, dreadful. Even if I lost the 4lbs I don't think I'd ever look as I did. Is it impossible to tone up as one ages? So disheartening.

M0nica Sat 20-May-23 14:50:43

As you get older, weight redistributes itself, also as the cartilege pads between are vertibrae get thinner, as they do with age, we shrink in size, but all the heught koss is in the body not the legs.

I weigh less than I did at 21, but have a much bigger waist. In fact I sometimes compare my current shape with a spider. Long arms and legs with a little round body in the middle.

Casdon Sat 20-May-23 15:01:58

I don’t think it’s impossible, look at Jane Fonda or Jane Seymour for example. My Pilates instructor also looks amazingly slim and fit for her age, and I’ve got a sporty friend who also does. I do think you have to work really hard and keep your muscle mass as high as possible to maintain a good figure as you get older though, which most of us aren’t able or willing to do. I’d guess the percentage of people who weigh the same or less than they did when they were 21 at 60+ is very low too, I wish I did.

Norah Sat 20-May-23 15:53:12

No, it's not impossible to exercise, diet, walk - be fit. It's setting aside time, doing the work. And a bit of genetics. My opinion.

M0nica Sat 20-May-23 16:50:10

But we have to contend with the changes in body shape, size and distribution of fat that comes with age.

I am 2 inches shorter than I was, and all that shortening is down the spine. That is where it happens. As I said I weigh much as I did at 21, but while I was slim then, I have a round body now and too much fat because my body is so much smaller.

LadyGracie Sat 20-May-23 18:08:40

I was painfully thin at less than 8 stone when I met DH, 52 years later I tell him I tell him he has 25% extra free. Unfortunately it's on my hips, bottom and thighs.

Baggs Sat 20-May-23 18:38:56

Slightly bigger bust measurement even than when I was pregnant and breastfeeding. Slighlty bigger waist. Hips the same. 2kg lighter than I was when I was 15.

I put it down to ageing and (ageing) hormones and don't care two hoots.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 20-May-23 18:45:35

When I look at my figure from the side view in the bathroom mirror it certainly isn't flattering but I remind myself that I'm alive and reasonably well apart from the arthritis.

There's that phrase which I read once (if I should ever get myself a toy-boy - highly unlikely) about one's imperfections - that the men don't mind and the boys don't matter.

Redhead56 Sat 20-May-23 19:38:06

I was 5ft 6ins and weighed about 8.5 stone before I had my son. I was in a very active job walking a lot I went the gym and aerobics most nights.
I had my son at 31 my weight was about 10 stone when feeding him I lost the weight. I had my daughter at 35 and was getting divorced my weight plummeted to 7.5 stone and stayed like that through stress.
I remarried at 40 and the weight increased to 10.5 stone it’s more or less stayed that but my height has decreased by over an inch. I look ok but I have a tummy and lost my waistline. I am mentally sound but I am riddled with arthritis which gets me down at times.

Shinamae Sat 20-May-23 19:47:41

Stick thin arms and legs all my weight goes around my middle. In fact, I have no backside and hips to speak of, my waist and hip measurements are the same 36 inches
I know that carrying weight around the middle is a risk of visceral fat, but don’t know what I can do about it as that’s where my weight has always gathered..🤷‍♀️
Used to be 5 foot seven I’m now 5 foot five, but I’ve never driven a car so that has helped compress my bones all this walking..

Wyllow3 Sat 20-May-23 19:54:51

Gravity and time.

Yes one can fight it with exercise (not to mention cosmetic surgery) and some stand out as exceptional but I like the quote best of all

"There's that phrase which I read once (if I should ever get myself a toy-boy - highly unlikely) about one's imperfections - that the men don't mind and the boys don't matter."

I mean, it's not as if the men of our age have perfect torsos, is it? grin

Poppyred Sat 20-May-23 20:28:14

Does it really matter though? Who are we trying to impress? Ourselves?

Our body changes - we get thick around the middle…

Smile and be kind xxx

M0nica Sat 20-May-23 21:15:19

Poppyred, I am not sure any of us are particularly bothered by changes to our body shape, more kust commenting on them.

paddyann54 Sat 20-May-23 21:20:25

I do stretching and toning exercises for an hour every morning ,my legs,rear and waist are firm and toned.I have a wee pouch from a c section thats hard to shift but I'll get there .
IF it bothers you then do something about it,I like to feel good for ME not for anyone else thats why I do it.We dont have to look saggy or flabby if we dont want to.
Good luck with it ,it can be hard work but so worth it

V3ra Sat 20-May-23 21:30:29

Our body changes - we get thick around the middle…

I have had to acknowledge this fact, which is a recent development for me, when I look at styles that I always used to wear but now realise they no longer suit me at all.

Back to the drawing board it is, and most of the "posh frocks" in my wardrobe will be heading for the charity shop and someone younger!
I'm currently looking for a dress for my son's wedding next spring so it's a learning curve at the moment.

Casdon Sat 20-May-23 21:48:56

paddyann54

I do stretching and toning exercises for an hour every morning ,my legs,rear and waist are firm and toned.I have a wee pouch from a c section thats hard to shift but I'll get there .
IF it bothers you then do something about it,I like to feel good for ME not for anyone else thats why I do it.We dont have to look saggy or flabby if we dont want to.
Good luck with it ,it can be hard work but so worth it

Sadly that’s one thing you can’t do paddyann54, because they cut through your muscles when you have a C-section. The only option is further surgery to flatten your lower abdomen, which is a bit drastic.

Callistemon21 Sat 20-May-23 22:17:02

I have a friend who lost about 2 stone but was still worried about her large tummy so she had liposuction.
It worked but she got an infection as a result and was very ill indeed.

Your abdominal muscles can split during pregnancy if you are having a large baby or a multiple pregnancy as ligaments are softened and stretched.

Wyllow3 Sun 21-May-23 00:36:48

I used to paddyanne but can't now ill health and I do feel it as a loss.

Redhead56 Sun 21-May-23 00:54:22

My friend had surgery which was very expensive for her stomach and abdomen it was a waste of money entirely. She has now accepted her shape as we all have too unless we have the energy for rigorous exercise.

FoghornLeghorn Sun 21-May-23 02:23:29

Redhead56

My friend had surgery which was very expensive for her stomach and abdomen it was a waste of money entirely. She has now accepted her shape as we all have too unless we have the energy for rigorous exercise.

Why was it a waste of money Redhead? Did it look no different?

Dorrain Sun 21-May-23 07:43:12

It certainly involves a commitment to regular weightbearing exercises and some cardio.

I've been feeling quite invisible for the last few years and honestly I find it refreshing. I can blend in anywhere but still observe without being watched LOL.

I walk a lot and eat healthy food with the occasional treat, but I don't need to impress anyone so I'm fine with the new me.

I was underweight for years because I had a helicobacter pylori infection. Once treated I put on weight and my doctor explained that as we age its a good idea to carry a little extra weight in case we become ill. That makes me feel better too.

PamelaJ1 Sun 21-May-23 07:44:38

During my working life I have seen many, many women with not much on. Normal women of all shapes and sizes.
It happens.
If anyone wants to spend time going to the gym because they they enjoy it then great. I hate it. I play tennis, walk and generally am fairly active. I wonder how much of their lives these fabulous looking women spend thinking about their bodies instead of just enjoying life.

Hetty58 Sun 21-May-23 08:14:33

I'm now a tube shape - my waist has disappeared - but never mind, I dress accordingly. I feel fit and well, that's the important thing.

My friend seems unaware of change and dresses as she always has. Yesterday, a sun dress and no bra. To me, she resembled a giant child - but with flabby, stringy arms.

I couldn't take in her conversation - being fixated on the movement of said arms, as she tends to wave them around a lot.

foxie48 Sun 21-May-23 08:56:52

I'm mid 70's, two inches shorter, no waist or bum and I have no idea where my bust came from, certainly not there when I was in my 20's! I'm not really overweight so I focus on posture. I try to sit up rather than slump and walk upright rather than with a stoop. Twice weekly pilates keeps me moving and keeps my core strong, I still ride several times a week + walk the dog for an hour most days. I feel very fortunate as friends of a similar age are starting to have mobility problems or have already had hips or knees replaced.

Redhead56 Sun 21-May-23 09:15:03

FogHornLeghorn it was a waste of time (my friends words). She ended up with a horrendous deep scar down her stomach and abdomen. With the passage of time has gone loose and very saggy. My friend describes it herself as looking like a fat backside and deeply regrets the operation.