Gransnet forums

Health

I've changed shape! Have you?

(60 Posts)
Skydancer Sat 20-May-23 12:17:21

I only weigh about 4lbs more than when I was young. But now I look heavier and certainly flabbier. I tried on some trousers this morning - okay from the front but, from the side, dreadful. Even if I lost the 4lbs I don't think I'd ever look as I did. Is it impossible to tone up as one ages? So disheartening.

Callistemon21 Sun 21-May-23 11:05:35

Hetty58

I'm now a tube shape - my waist has disappeared - but never mind, I dress accordingly. I feel fit and well, that's the important thing.

My friend seems unaware of change and dresses as she always has. Yesterday, a sun dress and no bra. To me, she resembled a giant child - but with flabby, stringy arms.

I couldn't take in her conversation - being fixated on the movement of said arms, as she tends to wave them around a lot.

I shouldn't laugh but I'm still giggling!!

😂😂😂

Callistemon21 Sun 21-May-23 11:20:25

My arms and legs aren't fat, my fingers are getting thinner and I might need to get my rings re-sized, I still have a waist (of sorts), but it all seems to have travelled to my tummy.

dogsmother Sun 21-May-23 11:37:02

A stone overweight probably but would be happy if it could be redistributed a bit.
A bit to my bottom, legs and arms from the chest and waist and all would look neat enough.

Skydancer Sun 21-May-23 12:07:24

Oh well.... seems we are all the same. Thanks everyone.

geeljay Sun 21-May-23 12:13:38

I think it matters more how you feel than how you look. We cant beat the aging process, so we should embrace it, with as much grace as poss.

MrsSquirrel Sun 21-May-23 12:17:00

I am in my 60s, weigh the same as I did at 21, but my shape is very different. Like others I have a big tummy and am about an inch shorter. I cba to worry about it though, life is too short and I have other more important things to worry about.

I do a lot of exercise - yoga, pilates, walking, cycling. In some ways I am more fit than I was in my 20s, my arms and legs look more muscular. All that activity is good for my arthritis but does nothing for my tummy. I do all that stuff because I enjoy it and feel better for it.

Norah Sun 21-May-23 12:42:39

paddyann54

I do stretching and toning exercises for an hour every morning ,my legs,rear and waist are firm and toned.I have a wee pouch from a c section thats hard to shift but I'll get there .
IF it bothers you then do something about it,I like to feel good for ME not for anyone else thats why I do it.We dont have to look saggy or flabby if we dont want to.
Good luck with it ,it can be hard work but so worth it

Agreed. I do an exercise routine, serves me well. I am a bit shorter, but I didn't add weight as I shortened, lucky genetics?

I don't know why losing height must add weight, counter-intuitive.

Walking dogs for all their needs, many times a day is a big help to staying active. As is biking, hiking, skiing, tennis, etc.

I'm happy with my figure for me, as are my selfish pets. grin

bevisp1 Tue 23-May-23 11:13:14

I’m glad someone else says this. I’ve noticed my shape changed from mid forties around my abdomen area, I’m a size 14 and attend slimming world just to keep a check on things. I weigh 10 stone 3lbs, height 5ft6’’ so I’m within my correct weight & bmi. But yet I still look much bigger in the same area than anywhere else. I’m now just in my sixties, and of all the years of being 36b cup in bra, now I have to get 38 size, even though I’m not any bigger. With age I suppose I am noticing more where my skin isn’t so firm, looks like more layers. 😞

Moggycuddler Tue 23-May-23 11:16:12

Fat round belly, skinny arms and legs. Not overweight overall at all, just the belly. Look sort of mid term pregnant. ☹️

Amalegra Tue 23-May-23 11:18:18

Same weight and size (8 stone 4lbs-ish size 8/10, don’t weigh myself much) as when I was 18-I have a dress I wore then I still fit into (kept for sentimental reasons only, not to wear!). My bottom is somewhat flatter and my bust bigger. Never really worried much about my body, then or now. It is what it is, although a bit wrinklier! And at nearly 67 I’m half an inch shorter too!

Nicolenet Tue 23-May-23 11:19:20

I know someone over 70 who lost 3 stones in weight, was going to gym several times a week and rest of time getting suntan (last summer). This spring, shock horror: terminal cancer. Be happy looking like a barrel if you must but try and live healthily is my motto

grandtanteJE65 Tue 23-May-23 11:21:22

My waist, bust and hips are slightly larger now than they were, but apart from that I have kept my figure.

I attribute this to genetic predisposition, as my father was only a couple of inches larger round the waist when he died at 89 than when he was 17.

But I have walked and ridden a bike and danced all my adult life, which doubtless has played a part too.

I don't think trying to tone musclesl up now will restore a youthful figure, although it will probably do quite a bit of good.

Strangely, my one eyebrow and eye are now noticably (to me at least) lower than the other - looking at photos of myself in my thirties and forties the difference either did not exist or was not so apparent. There is nothing I can do about it, so I try not to let it bother me, but alas, vanity still seems to be a factor!

Midnightblue Tue 23-May-23 11:32:29

I have lost 4” in height due to scoliosis, and things seem to have collapsed onto my abdomen. I still take the same clothes size as I did at 18yrs, but looking at my reflection I’m surprised I do.

grandtanteJE65 my face is also very asymmetrical now. One eye noticeably bigger than the other, a bit like Tony Blair. I’d hate a cartoon portrait 😁

AshleysGran Tue 23-May-23 11:38:04

I have an hour-glass figure - as I got older, it sank to the bottom.

Batworthy Tue 23-May-23 11:38:17

I think we all thicken around the waist, it's inevitable, but dressing to suit helps a lot.
Judy Dench is my role model - she's getting on and like me is short and a tad dumpy, but she always looks so elegant and timeless.

InTheCove Tue 23-May-23 11:44:02

It is possible to tone up and look as you did when you were younger. I had the same issue. I am in my 60s and a year ago, I took up pilates. I take a 50 minute class 3 times per week. I now look better than I did at 35 although 5 pounds heavier.

Rhinestone Tue 23-May-23 11:53:43

I have gone from a fit hourglass to a pear shape. BUT I can still fit into the earrings I wore in school.

HeavenLeigh Tue 23-May-23 12:07:15

I’m two inches shorter than I was I’m now 5ft 61/2, that half inch is very important 🤣 I’ve lost two stone in weight through healthy eating and exercise, my body fat is in good range, and I feel better than I have done for last couple years, some of my friends have had hip replacements in their early sixties and one late 50’s, I myself have osteopenia since last sept. I’m very happy with my body yes my waist has thickened but who cares I don’t. I’m still here and that’s what matters to me despite illnesses

Soozikinzi Tue 23-May-23 12:57:06

I have noticed since going over 60 that my bust is smaller and waist is bigger so same weight but redistributed . I'm not obsessed by it but it is as well to realise and dress accordingly!

jocork Tue 23-May-23 13:33:26

In the last few years I've lost almost 6 stones of my over 16 stone weight. I recently went over the line from 'obese' to 'overweight' with all the issues of clothes that don't fit any more. I'm getting experienced at alterations as I can't afford to replace everything, but I don't feel as if my overall shape has changed that much, though I have lost some height too.

Yesterday though I was at a memorial service with former colleagues I hadn't seen since I was at my heaviest. One said to me "You haven't changed a bit" and I was quite offended. I said "You've got to be joking - I've lost 6 stones since I last saw you!" I hope he meant I hadn't aged, but I was still shocked! I guess I should be relieved he didn't appear to notice the loss of much of my hair!

madeleine45 Tue 23-May-23 14:06:21

Of course like everyone there are days I look at myself in the mirror and sigh and wish I looked different ,but not too often. With my back problems and having had cancer, I am never going to be able to do enough exercise to really lose a lot. However as long as I can get about, am clean with clean clothes that I like and that are easy to get on and off etc , I am more concerned with what I am doing and music etc , and dont spend long worrying about it. comfortable flat shoes that let me keep moving as and when I want come high in my list. I dont really care or follow fashion - except to notice that something I have worn for years is now in fashion, but my main idea is to put on something suitable for what I am planning to do so that I can forget all about it and concentrate on doing whatever. I think women have been made to be concerned more about what and how the look like . It takes too much time from our lives to worry about it.

Mirren Tue 23-May-23 14:09:11

You can certainly maintain some of your former figure with diet and exercise although it does take work.
However, due to hormonal changes later in life we do tend to lose muscle bulk ,even with workouts . Fat is also redistributed post menopause.
I weigh much the same as 25 y ago when I was a,definite pear shape.
Tall with small boobs , relatively small waist and a big bum .
I'm still tall but my middle is bigger and my bum smaller makes me more a straight up and down shape ( I actually prefer it to my big bum shape)
However, even though I do exercise, I find I am definitely flabbier than I was for the same weight.
Even the most beautiful older ladies have changed shape.
Helen Mirren ( no relationship!) has thickened round the middle and the lovely actress Penelope Wilmot who I saw recently in the film about " Harold Fry " is definitely apple shaped at 78 or so.

Mirren Tue 23-May-23 14:12:33

I have to say , despite my alternate shape , my wedding dress still fits ,42 years and 4 kids later.
I really think genetics has something to do with it too.My brother and sister ( 2 and 4 years younger than me ) are both tall and slim and look fab in their 60s

Irismarle Tue 23-May-23 14:20:11

LadyGracie

I was painfully thin at less than 8 stone when I met DH, 52 years later I tell him I tell him he has 25% extra free. Unfortunately it's on my hips, bottom and thighs.

I love the 25% extra free!!
I must remember that line.

PamelaJ1 Tue 23-May-23 14:22:56

AshleysGran

I have an hour-glass figure - as I got older, it sank to the bottom.

😂😂