Gransnet forums

Health

I've changed shape! Have you?

(60 Posts)
Skydancer Sat 20-May-23 12:17:21

I only weigh about 4lbs more than when I was young. But now I look heavier and certainly flabbier. I tried on some trousers this morning - okay from the front but, from the side, dreadful. Even if I lost the 4lbs I don't think I'd ever look as I did. Is it impossible to tone up as one ages? So disheartening.

Gundy Tue 23-May-23 14:44:39

If it were not for an unfortunate slip on my stairs coming down from the loft (I fractured my lumbar/spine in two places) that little accident caused me to lose three inches of my height, thereby compressing my whole physique. Hmm… I don’t like it and I’m very careful about the style of clothing I wear now.

This on top of natural aging, more natural shrinking 🙄, what are you gonna do?
USA Gundy

Quichette Tue 23-May-23 17:46:08

AshleysGran

I have an hour-glass figure - as I got older, it sank to the bottom.

Too funny! My hour glass got stuck in the middle.

Eloethan Tue 23-May-23 18:44:35

I am not particularly pleased with the changes in my body - varicose veins developing in one leg, patchy skin on legs and a crepe-like appearance, not to mention saggy arms. I think I need to do an exercise class and will look for one - but I believe to maintain the sort of body shape that Jane Fonda, and the like, have would mean exercising to exhaustion every day. I am not prepared to do that - I have other, more interesting, things to do.

I think it is important not to "let yourself go" but it is about moderation, in my view. To be obsessed with one's appearance does not make for a happy person, or one who is particularly interesting.

Oreo Tue 23-May-23 22:35:28

AshleysGran

I have an hour-glass figure - as I got older, it sank to the bottom.

😂

Oreo Tue 23-May-23 22:39:05

Eloethan

I am not particularly pleased with the changes in my body - varicose veins developing in one leg, patchy skin on legs and a crepe-like appearance, not to mention saggy arms. I think I need to do an exercise class and will look for one - but I believe to maintain the sort of body shape that Jane Fonda, and the like, have would mean exercising to exhaustion every day. I am not prepared to do that - I have other, more interesting, things to do.

I think it is important not to "let yourself go" but it is about moderation, in my view. To be obsessed with one's appearance does not make for a happy person, or one who is particularly interesting.

I agree, having a bit of pride in yourself is one thing but obsessing about looks isn’t a great idea. Most people, men included carry some extra weight when older. Being here and feeling reasonably well is the main thing.Dress doesn’t fit? Buy a bigger one.

Riverwalk Wed 24-May-23 07:56:12

I'm more or less the same shape - like others I carry weight in the front. Currently six pounds over my preferred weight and it's all on the abdomen.

Like other health matters I think shape is a combination of lifestyle, diet and genetics. Later I'm off to my jazz dance class where the age range is 58 to 90 - the 90 year-old is slim, not skinny, ramrod straight back, and even has straight elegant fingers which are beautifully manicured.

I once got chatting to a woman in the park who was rolling up her yoga mat - she was in good shape in jogging bottoms and t-shirt and I could see she was around 70 but was astounded when she said she was 91 !

Juicylucy Wed 24-May-23 08:45:22

Yes for sure is my answer. I was size 8 my whole life even after my 2 DDs then hit menopause crept up to size 12 and stayed there. Nothing changed in my life style or diet to cause the weight gain just age and hormones. I do aqua swim and weight bearing exercises at home to stay fitter and healthier.

HillyN Wed 24-May-23 15:49:29

I think we need to understand that our body changes shape naturally after the menopause and not expect to be able to stay looking the same. Once the hormone production from the ovaries diminishes, the abdominal fat takes over this role. So more fat collects in this area and less on the hips and bottom.
A weight gain of half a stone for every ten years over age 50 is normal. Trying to lose weight can lead to wrinkled skin, especially in the face, and loss of muscle. That is why older women need clothes that flatter their new shape, as discussed in a previous thread.

Skydancer Fri 26-May-23 17:47:44

Well, it's worse than I thought. Today a man on the bus (sitting in the seat for those who find it difficult to stand) actually stood up to give me the seat!!