Gransnet forums

Health

Zinging, ache in bladder.

(53 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Sat 20-May-23 20:52:48

It’s a feeling as if you want to urinate but nothing comes out. When I do go it still feels a little odd. Sometimes I’m not sure if I want to go or not. Also having to wear pads as have accidents. Other times I feel okay and the feeling improves. I take d-mannose every day and I have had a couple of Cystopurin sachets. Have had this feeling for the last few weeks. I have had a weak pelvic floor since I had my first pregnancy and had two anterior repairs one at the age of 25 and another at 30. I am 81 now so have been a slave to my bladder for some time. Attended a clinic which encouraged me to increase time between weeing. My real problem is this nerve type feeling while urinating and in between. Has anyone had similar symptoms? I knowI should try to get a doctors appointment but keep hoping it will improve. Just wondering if anyone has had anything similar

Callistemon21 Sat 20-May-23 20:56:21

Don't wait, get a GP appointment asap, it could be a UTI.

Blossoming Sat 20-May-23 20:57:06

It sounds like a urine infection. Drinking a lot of water to flush out your bladder may help.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 20-May-23 21:03:22

Urine infection, I always have to get antibiotics to shift mine, try to get to talk to your GP (mine asks me to drop a urine sample into the surgery) but she will send a prescription through to our chemist straight away.
the last thing you want is for it to move up into your kidneys.

3dognight Sat 20-May-23 21:12:02

You need to speak to a doctor or nurse practitioner at your health centre.

Or maybe a pharmacist can help?

lixy Sat 20-May-23 21:12:44

Drink lots of water and see a Dr asap, sorry...

Lovetopaint037 Sat 20-May-23 22:06:55

Thank you. I will ring Monday and see if I can at least get a sample tested. Appointments are not easy to get.

Callistemon21 Sat 20-May-23 22:08:26

Lovetopaint037

Thank you. I will ring Monday and see if I can at least get a sample tested. Appointments are not easy to get.

Please do or at least take a sample to the surgery for testing; they can prescribe antibiotics if necessary.

cornergran Sat 20-May-23 22:39:18

Yes, please be tested. If the test is negative it could be sensible to speak with a doctor about potential spinal nerve issues. Compressed nerves can change sensation when emptying bladder or indeed passing faeces. A step at a time though, urine testing first unless you find you cannot pass water at all which is a medical emergency.

ElaineI Sat 20-May-23 23:59:08

Pharmacists are trained to diagnose UTI's in Scotland. Not sure if in rest of UK but worth a try if GP has no appointments.

crazyH Sun 21-May-23 00:31:26

Take a sample with you. The Nurse will check it for you. But tbh, mine showed nothing, but because of my symptoms (like yours)., I was given antibiotics. Wanting to empty the bladder but nothing happens. Drink lots of water.

sassysaysso Sun 21-May-23 10:52:55

Lovetopaint037

Do explain to the receptionist you think you may have a UTI, you’ll find they’ll be very accommodating. I had all the signs a couple of weeks ago, phoned surgery at 8am and was with the nurse practitioner who prescribed nitrofuorantin two hours later. It’s best to take a sample with you.

But I wonder if you’re suffering from something called interstitial cystitis which can be triggered by various foods?

henetha Sun 21-May-23 11:00:22

As others have said, you do need to consult a doctor. But meanwhile drink lemon barley water. It is good for the urinary tract. A doctor told me years ago.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 21-May-23 11:31:18

Thank you everyone. Will ring doctor tomorrow to see if I can get a sample tested. Lemon barley water tip is useful. Thank you..

grandMattie Sun 21-May-23 11:33:02

Cranberry juice is said to be helpful in UTIs

Callistemon21 Sun 21-May-23 11:37:24

Drink water, drink cranberry juice, take bicarbonate of soda in warm water if you think it might help but please don't neglect this.
Please take a sample to your surgery tomorrow or phone 101 today if you feel worse.

LRavenscroft Sun 21-May-23 11:43:46

Please make an appointment with your GP or walk in centre urgently and take a sample of urine from the morning with you. It sounds as if you may have a Uti and time is of the essence. It is important that they run tests to to find out what bacteria is causing it and get you an antibiotic prescription post haste. I say this because I was plague with Uti a few years ago and my bacteria was not the usual one so they needed a specific anti biotic to clear it up. Good luck and speedy recovery.

Bella23 Sun 21-May-23 15:53:18

If you take a sample make sure the container has been sterilised and take a midstream sample. Pass some urine into the loo hold yourself then pass some into the container then pass the rest into the loo. You could get kits with a sterilised container and funnel to help you do this I'm not sure they are still marketed. If you just take a sample they will probably ask you to do another, with a sterilised container.
If you start to feel hot or dizzy or generally unwell phone 111.

Callistemon21 Sun 21-May-23 15:57:04

If you start to feel hot or dizzy or generally unwell phone 111.

Yes do this, or if you start with rigors.
Sorry I meant 111, not 101!

Daisymae Sun 21-May-23 16:19:50

Yes, definitely make an appointment. If you do get one tomorrow make sure that you take a sample with you. They can do a dip test straight away.

Kamiso Sun 21-May-23 17:12:12

Check the sugar content in cranberry juice. When I used to have problems the Tesco own brand had less sugar but that might have changed. The sugar can cause irritation as well.

Caramme Sun 21-May-23 20:27:30

There is a well known link between Vaginal dryness / atrophy and a slow burn UTI when you become very aware of your bladder and feel the need to urinate frequently, yet don”t get quite the same acute burning as a more usual UTI. The problem is it can hang around for weeks without developing so you’re never sure whether you actually have an infection or just an irritable bladder. Until you suddenly find yourself with a debilitating kidney infection. Whatever the issue you definitely need to see a medical professional urgently. I hope you feel better very soon.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 22-May-23 09:18:47

I am waiting for the surgery on their ring back arrangement. I have done a specimen which is really cloudy. I am going to ask if I can take the sample into the surgery and have written a note saying which anti biotic I need. Just hope they ring before 10.30 as that is their cut off time. Feel so stupid thinking that I could deal with this with d-mannose and Cystopurin for so long.

Bella23 Mon 22-May-23 10:18:39

Don't feel stupid, your not. I think a lot of us deal with things ourselves because of the difficulty of getting an appointment.
I hope you get your appointment.flowers

Callistemon21 Mon 22-May-23 10:28:50

Lovetopaint037

I am waiting for the surgery on their ring back arrangement. I have done a specimen which is really cloudy. I am going to ask if I can take the sample into the surgery and have written a note saying which anti biotic I need. Just hope they ring before 10.30 as that is their cut off time. Feel so stupid thinking that I could deal with this with d-mannose and Cystopurin for so long.

If you feel up to I'd take the sample there; if it needs to go to the lab for further testing it probably needs to get there by lunch-time.
You could sit and wait while the nurse tests it and perhaps get some antibiotics if needed more quickly, too.
Don't be fobbed off.