Gransnet forums

House and home

Cordless vacuum cleaners

(58 Posts)
HappyGran Sun 23-Jun-13 14:06:51

I didn't know anything about cordless vacuum cleaners, but after reading lots of good reviews have just ordered one from QVC. It's on Today's Special Value so is at a special price just for today.

They seem so light and will be easy to carry around, it will seem strange re-charging it after using a conventional one all these years. Do anyone have one - how have you found it compared to the usual cleaners?

grannyactivist Thu 17-Oct-13 23:00:22

Deedaa I was fortunate to win one in a GN competition and I still can't believe how good it is. smile

Deedaa Fri 18-Oct-13 21:44:17

It's amazing isn't it? I'm still waiting to find the snag smile

easonlin Fri 28-Feb-14 08:53:59

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MiceElf Fri 28-Feb-14 09:09:34

Both reported

Soutra Fri 28-Feb-14 09:14:20

All 3 sounding suspicious!! Reported.

KatyK Sat 01-Mar-14 18:16:14

We are thinking of buying a cordless vac. DH is dubious as he can't see how you can do stairs with them. Apologies if we are being thick. Can anyone enlighten us? DD has a Henry smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 01-Mar-14 18:28:02

The top bit (with the motor) comes away from the long tube and converts to a hand held, with the same suction. You can use one of the smaller brushes supplied. Or it's perfectly possible to do the stairs in the same way you do the floors.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 01-Mar-14 18:30:32

Son has got the Dyson one. That's how I know. Only thing that bugs me is that you have to hold the on switch on while you use it. Suppose it is to save battery. It does only need a light touch though. He swears by his.

KatyK Sat 01-Mar-14 18:32:09

Oh I see. Thank you Jingl.

rosequartz Sat 01-Mar-14 20:44:38

We have quite a collection, a large heavy Dyson for upstairs, a cylinder Dyson for downstairs (could not carry the heavy one up and down stairs) and DD1 bought us a robotic cleaner as we have some hard floors downstairs. We call him 'Bob', but he does get stuck under the conservatory furniture. ( All collected over many years.)

However, I would love a cordless handheld vacuum cleaner for quick jobs, such as the stairs and conservatory. They Dysons are quite expensive, but seem to be the best from reviews.

DebnCreme Sun 02-Mar-14 15:33:03

Not keen on my handheld Dyson rosequartz it does not pick up as well as the Red Devil we used to have (think that's the name). OH loves the Dyson for his car though.

grannyactivist Sun 02-Mar-14 15:44:09

I (thought) I had a problem with my Dyson a few weeks ago, but when I phoned tech support he talked me through a few simple checks and I discovered a piece of plastic had been sucked up and caused a blockage. It was really easy to remove and now I'm back to thinking my Dyson Digital Slim is still the best vacuum I've ever owned. It's really easy to use on the stairs and I have no problems carrying it around as it's so light.

rosequartz Sun 02-Mar-14 15:53:57

Thanks DebnCreme, will look into that, not heard of the red devil. I was put off by the price of the dyson. We've had a black and decker handheld for years and it is OK for picking up a few bits but not much more. It's on its last legs now

KatyK Sun 02-Mar-14 16:09:18

Treated ourselves to a Dyson about 5 years ago. It has 'packed up' twice and is now making an horrendous noise every time we use it. I wouldn't buy another. Oh and it is really heavy.

grannyactivist Sun 02-Mar-14 16:13:57

KatyK I also had a Dyson in the past and was very disappointed with it, but the one I have now is amazing and I use it every day.

DebnCreme Sun 02-Mar-14 16:39:57

Have a nasty feeling they are no longer made rosequartz which is why we went for the Dyson. Ended up giving it a poor review on the Dyson website but never heard any more.

Charleygirl Sun 02-Mar-14 16:52:13

I appear to have a surfeit of vacuum cleaners. I have a cylinder Miele Cat and Dog for upstairs, a smaller cylinder Miele for downstairs (they are heavy to heave upstairs) and a cylinder Vax because the Cat N dog Miele has a blockage and I have not been able to get it repaired yet. The Vax is okay for small jobs. I also have a Roomba which also needs to be repaired. Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten that I still had it.

The Miele cylinder has been a Which? best buy for many months now.

rosequartz Sun 02-Mar-14 19:47:14

Your house sounds like mine charleygirl, a breeding ground for vacuum cleaners. I forgot the vax in the garage which is mainly DH'S pet now. I like Bob because he whizzes around when I'm out, but he doesn't seem to like carpets and made a nasty mark on the rug in the hall, so we have to clear the decks when he is on the move. That includes putting kitchen chairs on top of the table, as he gets stuck and spends two hours whizzing around under a chair.
DD1 has two 'Bobs' and one woke up when I was creeping to spend a penny in the middle of the night. He gave me the fright of my life as he moved towards me, lights flashing and beeping away. I woke everyone up as I was trying to put him back to bed.

mrsmopp Fri 07-Mar-14 11:45:47

Hope this doesn't class as advertising but Lidl will be selling a cordless sweeper from 10th March for £24.99. Made by Vileda, when fully charged it will run for 45 minutes. Checkout their website but I think it would be great for a quick whizz round. Maybe not as powerful as Dyson but hey, look at the price! I have always found Lidl very good at refunds if any product does not meet expectations.
Didn't every house have a big Ewbank sweeper years ago? It actually did work though!

rosequartz Fri 07-Mar-14 11:50:40

A Ewbank was all my MIL ever used!

Nonu Fri 07-Mar-14 11:54:29

ROSE , me too , himself uses hoover but I can"t be bothered getting it out . Ewbank much , much easier !
heyho !
Laugh !

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Mar-14 12:49:05

Hmm. My Gtec (like a ewbank but rechargeable) seems pretty good at dumping the fluff back out again! hmm

Elegran Fri 07-Mar-14 12:56:25

Mine is OK going forwards but if you roll it back and forth it drops fluff on the back sweep. It must be still on the roller brushes if you reverse too soon. Worst when it needs emptying, which is very frequently.

Agus Fri 07-Mar-14 12:57:31

I bought a Dyson Cordless DC59 last week. Very impressed so far but the only minus is, I do find it noisier than vacuums I have had in the past.

easonlin Wed 02-Jul-14 06:51:38

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.