Gransnet forums

House and home

A housewifery question re tea towels

(89 Posts)
j08 Wed 16-Oct-13 12:51:52

When the things need a wash, do you chuck them in with rest of the washing, or give them a separate hot wash?

For years I collected them up until I had a good economical wash load, and then put them on, on a boil wash. I have recently stopped this and have gone for the chuck 'em in with whatever else method.

We seem to be none the worse for it.

?

Elegran Wed 16-Oct-13 14:20:31

Snap.

j08 Wed 16-Oct-13 14:23:48

Yes, that's it Elegran. It looks odd.

Pittcity Wed 16-Oct-13 14:23:51

Mine go in with towels and cloths. I never use fabric conditioner on these but a splash of white vinegar. They are then soft and absorbent... and don't reminds you of chips!

Riverwalk Wed 16-Oct-13 14:23:54

Empty wash feetle? Why not bung some clothes in confused

My machine is 10 years old and I've never done any empty wash stuff.

Gorki Wed 16-Oct-13 14:24:45

I must be very lucky. I only ever wash at 30 and have never had mould I'm glad to say.My machine is 5 years old and was the cheapest on the market.It is a cold fill. Something to be said for simplicity. I wash most days too as I have so much.

j08 Wed 16-Oct-13 14:25:30

Pittcity at the hotel we stayed in on holiday a few weeks back, the towels and the bed linen smelt of vinegar!

Jendurham Wed 16-Oct-13 14:47:21

When I had the guest house I used to buy towels from a company called Eden Valley. They are the only towels that have never gone cracker shaped on a hot wash. The ones I have now are from Ethical Superstore, made from bamboo, and are nearly as good.

shysal Wed 16-Oct-13 15:15:59

Dishcloths and other cloths can be sterilized by wetting them and putting in the microwave for 30 seconds. I do my green scourer/sponge too. I assume the same would be possible with tea towels, but I use hand towels (better absorption) and wash them with everything else at 30 degrees.

J52 Wed 16-Oct-13 15:33:50

A couple of months ago I decided to boil my tea towels, old fashioned style, on the hob. It didn't do much for the tea towels, but the over boiled biological detergent brought the stainless steel hob up a treat. Now clean the hob with boiling biological detergent. Tea towels go into towel wash in machine. X

dustyangel Wed 16-Oct-13 15:36:21

Oh, I thought it had to be two and a half minutes to sterilize a dishcloth!
I usually put mine in bleach.
I generally put everything in together at 40 degrees but every now and again think that I should be more careful and put them and towels at 60 degrees.

j08 Wed 16-Oct-13 15:38:03

You've got a special towel wash on your machine j52? envy

J52 Wed 16-Oct-13 15:48:00

To be precise, I wash the tea towels with the towels in the machine on economy wash. Previous post probably lacked precision because I was concentrating on the chocolate cake that I was eating. smile x

hebrideanlady Wed 16-Oct-13 15:59:07

And ....J52 I find biological detergents are the best thing to clean oven racks when soaked in a strong solution, I just thought I would add that smile

Anne58 Wed 16-Oct-13 15:59:38

Oh heavens, for a brief moment there I thought J52 was a future incarnation of Jingl who had managed to travel back through time! shock

Faye Wed 16-Oct-13 16:05:35

I have to wash them separately, can't bear to wash them with towels and I could never wash them with my clothes. I like the idea of vinegar, thanks Pittcity.

What am I doing posting about tea towels of all things. It is nearly 2 am here, I think I have lost the plot. confused

grannyactivist Wed 16-Oct-13 16:06:43

I get through at least fourteen tea towels in a typical week (no dishwasher), so once a week I put them in a 90 degree wash. Bedding and towels I do at 60 degrees, I don't trust detergent to kill bacteria at 30 degrees which is the temperature I do most of my washing at.

Oldgreymare Wed 16-Oct-13 16:14:33

Always boil them (I make a lot of jam so need really clean tea-towels,* jars are also 'baked' in the oven to sterilise them!)
I have an old pressure cooker pan (minus all the bits) and boil them in that.
* not saying that any other method produces inferior results smile I've just got into the habit of doing it this way hmm

Tegan Wed 16-Oct-13 16:16:02

feetle; you use Swarfega for your washing confused?

positivepam Wed 16-Oct-13 16:40:20

I put tea towels and towels together on a hotter wash and that's about all I can say about it. grin

annodomini Wed 16-Oct-13 17:16:49

I chuck them in with the regular wash and I've never poisoned anyone - not even myself.

Pittcity Wed 16-Oct-13 19:36:29

I've heard you can put your dishcloth in the dishwasher... never tried it.

Mamie Wed 16-Oct-13 19:45:44

I have had no problems with mould round the door since I went back to using washing powder and not liquid.

Marelli Wed 16-Oct-13 20:03:42

Teatowels at 90 degrees and towels and bedding at 60 degrees. I've no dishwasher so change the teatowel at least once a day. Never had problem with mould around door seal, either.

Agus Wed 16-Oct-13 20:13:13

I don't use tea towels, I think kitchen roll is more hygienic for all I have to wipe from the drainer. Oh god, I'm for it now. Running away

Deedaa Wed 16-Oct-13 21:26:46

I washy everything at 40 degrees because I can't be bothered faffing about with all the different prorammes. I rely on ironing them to kill off any remaining germs.