Gransnet forums

House and home

A housewifery question re tea towels

(89 Posts)
j08 Wed 16-Oct-13 12:51:52

When the things need a wash, do you chuck them in with rest of the washing, or give them a separate hot wash?

For years I collected them up until I had a good economical wash load, and then put them on, on a boil wash. I have recently stopped this and have gone for the chuck 'em in with whatever else method.

We seem to be none the worse for it.

?

petallus Tue 08-Dec-15 08:58:15

I only realised this was an old thread when I was wondering who j08 was!!

suey Sun 27-Dec-15 18:30:42

Am not a fussy housewife. I remember a nurse friend of mine saying that dust is only dangerous when disturbed BUt I am fussy about drying up cloths. I soak them in a strong solut.ion of bleach(poured liberally) for about 4 days then wash, Problem is that soone ror later they disintegrate but its worth it. I remember being in friends' jhouses when the drying up cloths were grubby looking though clean.
I always buy good quality cotton ones

TriciaF Mon 28-Dec-15 11:29:19

I can't understand why, if you've washed the pots thoroughly, the teatowels would become soiled?
If you wash then rinse pots, cutlery etc in very hot water and then put to drain they mostly dry by themselves.
I wash ours once a week at 40°.
Dishcloths are a different matter - they get used for a variety of things so do often contain germs.

mrsmopp Fri 01-Jan-16 13:18:08

What's this about white vinegar? Does it go in the wash or the rinse cycle?
I must get some- heard its good for cleaning windows too, but not tried that yet, as I just use a squeegie.

annodomini Fri 01-Jan-16 14:13:04

You can put the tea towels in a boil wash, then hang them out to dry...but couldn't there be bacteria and fungal spores blowing around in the garden?Right then, iron them on the hottest setting, wearing a surgical mask and gloves. Pack them away in zip-lock bags in a sterilised drawer and use them once only before returning them to the washing machine.
Oh stuff it! I hardly ever use them anyway as the dishwasher does all the work and when I do use one, it goes in the normal wash. I have not acquired any life-threatening conditions as a result.

hildajenniJ Fri 01-Jan-16 14:19:38

I don't bother about sorting washing, as long as you can wash it all at the same temperature. Everything is clean at the end anyway. These days too many people worry about bacteria, germs etc. How can you build up immunity to anything if you are too clean. There is a saying I think is very true, "a man has to eat a peck of dirt before he dies".

SusieB50 Fri 01-Jan-16 14:36:28

Agree with the post about washing powder versus liquid . I stopped using liquid capsules to reduce cost, but also found the mould in the dispenser disappeared . Winner all round going back to measuring out powder !

TriciaF Fri 01-Jan-16 15:09:42

Annodomini - grin

maisyann Sun 03-Jan-16 20:23:05

Chuck in with any wash and if you drain dishes that do not go in dishwasher you should not need many anyway.

Ana Sun 03-Jan-16 20:25:03

Tee hee, Agus, I got a right rollicking for saying I used kitchen roll - so environmentally unfriendly, apparently! grin

Ana Sun 03-Jan-16 20:27:22

Oops! Wrong page, sorry! blush

Greenfinch Sun 03-Jan-16 20:32:21

Any coloured wash for me too. I don't worry too much.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 03-Jan-16 20:34:05

grin

Can't believe kittylester puts them in with the floor cloth! shock