Gransnet forums

House and home

Favourite kitchen gadgets

(59 Posts)
louella Wed 22-Jul-15 16:13:00

DD bought me a new tin opener this week (apparently the old one was a 'health hazard'...) I thought it was completely OTT and a waste of money (£12!) but now I have tried it I am hooked. This is the model she got it from John Lewis www.johnlewis.com/store/joseph-joseph-can-do-can-opener/p1355716?navAction=jump&_requestid=8056480

Made me wonder what other little kitchen essentials you wouldn't be without.

LyndaW Wed 22-Jul-15 17:02:32

Pineapple corer! Best thing for the summer. I hate cutting up pineapple and used to avoid buying them even though I love eating them.

And as a bonus you are left with a lovely hollowed pineapple, perfect for pina coladas grin

louella Wed 22-Jul-15 17:09:48

I want one grin

kaybh Wed 22-Jul-15 17:32:35

not really a gadget but i always always use my cake release spray when i'm baking - it's honestly a wonder product! think it's dr oetker but not sure bl***y great though

shysal Wed 22-Jul-15 18:00:47

My onion comb, recommended on a similar thread years ago. No more smelly fingers!
onion holder

I also wouldn't want to be without my ring-pull tool.

Coolgran65 Wed 22-Jul-15 18:17:07

I also love my ring pull tool - from Lakeland.

POGS Wed 22-Jul-15 20:26:08

My hand held runner bean stringer.

Not only removes the outer hard bit it slices so think the beans are lovely on salad.

Also my V Slicer but I did chop the tip of my finger on it, OUCH.

grannyg1 Thu 23-Jul-15 06:33:44

Just bought an onion chopper, no more smelly fingers & tears. I wish I had bought one years ago!

NanSue Thu 23-Jul-15 13:12:47

My garlic wheel. Just pop a clove inside, run it up and down the worktop and hey presto..finely chopped garlic.

vegasmags Thu 23-Jul-15 13:23:43

My little black knife - just an ordinary kitchen knife bought many years ago, but used and sharpened so often that the blade is thin and flexible but still remains strong.

Charleygirl Thu 23-Jul-15 13:54:56

A pair of long tongs for flipping over items in a pan, grill or oven. I bought a new set a few months ago but I still have my trusty pair given to me 40 years ago for lifting spaghetti out of a pan.

whitewave Thu 23-Jul-15 14:07:46

I am sure if I had one of those Kitchen Aid food processors you see on bake off it would be my favourite grin

Twostep Thu 23-Jul-15 14:42:53

i'm with you there whitewave - have been after one of those for a few years now but just can't bring myself to spend that amount of money in case i don't use it enough to justify it. On the other hand i did go positively mad last night in sainsbury's and bought a strawberry huller - it's shaped like a strawberry, which is nice...but it also means i don't get painful nails from digging our the stalks! which was a pet hate of mine

Greyduster Thu 23-Jul-15 16:22:27

A sort of silicone tube that you roll garlic cloves inside and they come out sans skin. Brilliant! It came in a set with a little ceramic plate with spiky bits on that is supposed to reduce said garlic to a mush, but it is useless.

Granne72 Thu 23-Jul-15 16:27:23

A food processor i bought in a charity shop for £9, bargain , now i can make better pastry, can't use my hands as they are too hot !

Auntieflo Thu 23-Jul-15 16:47:08

My "jar key" must be my favourite. It releases the vacuum on a new jar of just about anything, when your wrists and fingers are not strong enough. Mine was sent to me by the manufacturer of a brand of chutney, when I couldn't open it, and wrote to them. Bless them, they sent me this gadget, and it's been priceless.

carol49cat Thu 23-Jul-15 16:56:16

My grandmother's nutcrackers. They are over 100 years old and absolutely invaluable for opening small bottle tops like lemonade or ketchup.

Bellasnana Thu 23-Jul-15 17:17:00

I am going to get myself one of those onion combs. What an ingenious gadget smile

Twostep, I was going to say my strawberry huller is my favourite gadget too! Really makes the job a lot quicker, easier and less messy.

Livey Fri 24-Jul-15 14:19:14

Totally agree -as a maker of loads of lakes - couldn't do with the spray !

Greyduster Fri 24-Jul-15 16:21:30

Agree about cake release spray - indispensable for making sponge flan cases (hate the bought ones).

ffinnochio Fri 24-Jul-15 17:22:33

Egg pricker. Prevents eggs cracking when being boiled, which they used to do occasionally even though I keep them at room temperature.

AnnieGran Fri 24-Jul-15 17:27:02

Well, somebody has to say it - my indispensable, lovely husband is the one kitchen gadget I depend on absolutely. He is currently in HIS kitchen (he doesn't welcome visitors) making gammon with rice and vegetables, his own recipe, followed by fruit salad and cream. In about half an hour he will be up with my glass of white wine and a bowl of nuts.

No, I'm not making it up. We've been together for 35 years and I'm not swopping him for an onion peeler or a tin opener. Unfortunately we have both put on loads of weight since he took over the cooking. Nothing good comes without a price.

Albangirl14 Fri 24-Jul-15 17:27:19

I have a mincer that shreds orange skins perfectly for marmalade. I lent it to a friend who broke it and I replaced it from ebay.

Greyduster Fri 24-Jul-15 21:13:32

AnnieGransmile

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 24-Jul-15 22:22:00

Cherry stoner. If you get the angle right the stones shoot out the bottom of the cherries, making a noise like a little popgun. Good for pies and crumbles.