Gransnet forums

House and home

How do I get rid of flies?

(55 Posts)
MoBrown Sun 03-Jul-16 15:51:25

For some reason over the last week or so I've had an influx of great big fat flies - the big lethargic ones that don't seem to be bothered about you being near or swatting at them. They seem to be pairing up and I'll find them squatting on my kitchen window, then another couple next to my dining room table. Even in my downstairs loo! My house is clean, I rarely have any food out and surfaces are wiped etc. They are just so disgusting and I'm terrified one of them is going to lay eggs somewhere... What do I do to get rid of them? Is anyone else similarly plagued this year?

merlotgran Sun 03-Jul-16 15:53:12

Spray!!

granjura Sun 03-Jul-16 16:04:09

We lvie near farms and horses, so we got a fly screen fitted for one window per room- and it made a huge difference.

Put dishes of vinegar and also sodium bicarb in kitchen and other affected rooms.

But once they are in- I wouldn't spray in a kitchen or anywhere with food, children or pets- and the only safe and humane way is a fly swatter, and or those old-fashioned fly spirals with fly 'glue' - horrible but they do the job.

tanith Sun 03-Jul-16 17:03:45

Since I bought a fly screen for my back doors we haven't had a fly in the house they don't seem to come in the windows who knows why only the doors. I wouldn't use spray either you end up with dead flies everywhere. You can get the fly screens very cheaply on Amazon and they just stick on with velcro pads so you can quickly take them down again if necessary.
It also deters the neighbourhood cats from coming in the house when I'm not looking.grin

thatbags Sun 03-Jul-16 17:50:09

Open windows. They fly out. This is not a silly suggestion. It works.

rosesarered Sun 03-Jul-16 19:47:04

We don't get many flies, but if we do, mainly the very small ones, not the horrid bluebottles.In Summer we have most doors and all windows open, and as bags points out, they do fly out after a while.Just Swat them when you see them in the kitchen.

Newquay Sun 03-Jul-16 20:15:00

Yes keep all food covered that's for sure!
We have one of those "tennis racquets" that has a button at the side which fries the things when you press it. You MUST keep it out of reach of children of course.
And sticky fly papers too.
Horrid things-yuk!

hildajenniJ Sun 03-Jul-16 20:31:15

I use fly papers too. Fortunately we don't get many flies. We have a maternity colony of pipistrelle bats in our roof. They eat about 3000 insects a night each and are wonderful to watch emerging from those little thin spaces.

granjura Sun 03-Jul-16 20:49:10

Our attic barn is full of house martins, swallows and bats - without the flies they wouldn't survive- so you have to be philosophical about it ;)

Stansgran Mon 04-Jul-16 08:45:05

I think it sounds as though you have cluster flies. I Hoovered them up . They come from the loft and return annually but not if you Hoover them up.

Teetime Mon 04-Jul-16 09:44:25

Like others here I use a fly screen on the conservatory door and open windows to let the others out. Have you thought of getting Pest Control in to have a look at the problem.

Corncob Mon 04-Jul-16 11:27:23

I have found it easier to get them by swatting from underneath as they see it coming from above.I don't use spray as I have a little dog and she copies me and tries to catch them,bless her.

labazs Mon 04-Jul-16 11:43:08

ive always been told cut mint in a glass in the window helps but i planted my mint outside and dont get any

breeze Mon 04-Jul-16 11:56:14

You may find there is a decomposing animal in the vicinity. So it will seem like you've been invaded but it will ease off. I use a screen for the conservatory but can't at the back door because the dogs go in and out freely. I use a swatter for the ones that do find their way in. I find boys in particular thoroughly enjoy swatting flies. I give them a bit of a thwack, to do the job but not make a mess, then scoop up with a piece of kitchen roll. My sons/OH run around with glee hitting them as hard as possible, leaving squashed flies on the windows and cills and bits of plastic smashed off my swatters all over the place. While you're being plagued, defrost in the fridge and don't leave any food out. I never defrost out of the fridge now anyway, but many years ago as a rookie, I defrosted some chicken pieces under a fly cover and a little blighter got under and was in the process of fly blowing it (little white eggs all over it) when I noticed it, thank goodness. Had to chuck it all away. During the summer my family are used to me shouting, whilst dishing up, 'Can someone do a fly watch???' Those big fat ones are the most annoying. They sit there looking stupid until you try to swat one then they go 'zoop' and put on a spurt and you miss. Annoying little blighters. Hilda, I wish I could emerge from a little thin space! I'm always plagued by wasps here. Lost count of the times I've had to have them exterminated. Seems this year, they've moved up a floor and are scratching overnight on my bedroom ceiling. Hope they don't fall through!

breeze Mon 04-Jul-16 12:03:15

I always learn something on here. Just looked up cluster flies Stansgran and interesting to read they're not a health hazard as they don't fly blow human food. Earth worms is their victim of choice. So MoBrown, if you whack one, then go online and look them up (there is a good photo) and it's the same thing, won't be a hazard for your food at least and you can hoover as Stansgran suggested.

carolmary Mon 04-Jul-16 12:03:51

50 years ago when I was a student, I bought a rib of beef for a special occasion.No fridge then of course. Had exactly the same problem as breeze with a large fly. I couldn't afford to throw the beef away, so washed it well and browned it well all over. I never told anyone about it. It was possibly the tastiest beef I've ever eaten and I'm still alive to tell the tale. Nowadays I always cover everything tyhough.

breeze Mon 04-Jul-16 12:28:45

Ewwwww! I am laughing though! My friend and her sister were cooking spag bol for their boyfriends and dropped the spaghetti down the sink. Scooped it out and tried to scrape off the tea leaves! The boys asked what the interesting 'erb was, when they saw the black bits! Waste not want not. Nooooo!

Skweek1 Mon 04-Jul-16 12:29:03

We have small fruit flies, no big ones, thank goodness, but they will insist on diving into DH's drinks and of course muggins gets the blame. He sprays, but doesn't seem to help.

lizzypopbottle Mon 04-Jul-16 12:39:43

When we moved house many years ago, our new house had secondary double glazing and flies kept emerging from there when it was opened in our first spring and summer. They'd taken up residence and laid their eggs. A vigorous spring clean got rid of them. So I would say (as others have) find out where they're coming from and tackle the source!

Greyduster Mon 04-Jul-16 13:02:48

We seem to have more flies here than we ever had in our other house, and I think it's because in the orchard that backs onto my neighbour's house the owner keeps chickens and geese. He has quite a few and I'm convinced they contribute to the problem. We didn't discover this until we had bought the place! They are not at plague proportions, but it is annoying that every time you open the doors in the conservatory, you will have to chase two or three of the b****rs out! Or flail around with the fly swatter like a demented Errol Flynn - at least it's exercise I suppose! Does anyone know how these mesh door screens fit onto conservatory door frames? Do they have to be drilled?

Juggernaut Mon 04-Jul-16 13:31:31

As we're almost on the beach, we don't get many house flies or bluebottles, they don't seem to like the sea air or the stiff breezes here.
We do, however, get nasty, tiny sand flies, and the b*****s bite! We have mesh screens on the doors and windows which keep most of them out. I also have a lot of citronella candles on window ledges, they keep all kinds of midge like creatures away!
Just a tip, if any of you are thinking of putting mesh over open windows, buy black mesh, it sounds daft, but white mesh shows up from outside, black is almost invisible!
Any bigger flies that get in get frazzled with my 'zapper' raquet, it's great fun....for me, not much fun for the flies!

tanith Mon 04-Jul-16 13:38:23

Greyduster we bought these screens as we didn't want them as a permanent fixture.. they fix on with velcro pads we used white on the frame and black on the screens. You can just take them down anytime you want and the white velcro strips on the frame are almost invisible when the screens are taken off . We didn't put the 'lovely' lacy bit at the top wink They do the job and don't cost much.
www.amazon.co.uk/Magnetic-Flying-Insect-Curtain--HWP110276/dp/B007CJDO7S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467635691&sr=8-1&keywords=fly+screens

Libbysmum Mon 04-Jul-16 15:55:15

Flies don't survive long in our house, our springer spaniel catches and eats them. Nothing will stand in his way! He jumps up the wall and on the back of the sofa to leap at them. It seems to be a favourite pastime of his, otherwise he is very laid back.

breeze Mon 04-Jul-16 16:00:46

Juggernaut you have destroyed my dream! I would kill, kill, I tell you (well, get some estate agents details anyway) to move to the seaside, but my children refuse to move out (and if they do, they come back, with extras). Now you've gone and spoilt it by saying there are sand flies! Darn it. And they bite! Ah well. smile

narrowboatnan Mon 04-Jul-16 17:43:08

When I lived in a house and had more room than in a boat, I had one of those battery operated electric fly zappers. You've probably seen them advertised - they look like a tennis racket. Had loads of fun playing fly tennis and seeing the Sparks and hearing the sizzle when I got one! Great fun!