Gransnet forums

House and home

Christmas - who are they kidding?

(65 Posts)
DaphneBroon Sat 03-Dec-16 10:20:58

An article in today's Telegraph about a fuss-free Christmas is full of expensive useful advice on how to reduce your stress levels this Christmas. I liked Giles Brandreth's one of getting all the faddy eaters to bring their own meal and reheat it in his microwave, but otherwise the article mostly seemed to be telling you how to outsource all the jobs for a not inconsiderable amount of money.
Then I got to this about table decorations and felt like snarling à la Sheriff of Nottingham " This year, Christmas is cancelled" !
See if you get where I am coming from

Add interest to place-settings with pretty napkin designs; tie each napkin with a length of twine (gardening or cooking twine is fine) and loop through a brown paper luggage label for your guests names; tuck in a green sprig of foliage; rosemary and eucalyptus look particularly stylish and give off a lovely aroma. Finish by resting a miniature treat on top; miniature meringues, macaroons or star shaped shortbreads work well, too

I rest my case, am I alone in thinking
life is too short??

Grannyknot Sat 03-Dec-16 10:26:22

The Yummy Mummies on our area's Mums Facebook page will be swooning over this - and then get the nanny to do it.

Charleygirl Sat 03-Dec-16 10:35:44

Daphne I have the time but neither the energy nor the inclination. Ah couldnae be bothered with that stuff.

Beammeupscottie Sat 03-Dec-16 10:45:04

they can stick their star shaped shortbread where the sun don't shine.

Luckygirl Sat 03-Dec-16 11:20:44

FFS! - what a total waste of life. I could be playing with the GC or chatting to my family while I was creating this wholly unnecessary item. Each to his own!

I am joking; but I think there is a serious point here. Christmas has become a stressful competition for many - who can go to the most parties, who can create the most original table decorations etc. Anyone who doesn't come up to scratch in certain circles is made to feel inferior.

I am not religious but love Christmas and have loads of fun - but for me it is about family and sharing. I also think that there is a serious underlying point, whatever your religious stance, and that is the central idea of there being strength in weakness - that the person who has had such a huge influence on successive generations was born poor and insignificant, and that in there is a message of love. Now I know it has all gone to pot and power-crazy people have taken over the message to achieve their own ends, but Christmas for me is a reminder that you do not have to be powerful to matter and that caring for others takes precedence over everything else.

Sorry to get serious - but that is what Christmas means for me as an agnostic; and this is why I will be at the cathedral listening to the lovely carols (and ignoring all the old testament the codswallop about male superiority!).

Luckygirl Sat 03-Dec-16 11:24:07

Oh - and it also means that those of you who will be spending Christmas on your own matter too - just because you are not awash in friends or family on that day does not mean you are not important; so I hope you will be here on Gransnet to share the good wishes.

DaphneBroon Sat 03-Dec-16 11:32:25

Well said Luckygirl

Jayanna9040 Sat 03-Dec-16 11:37:37

Handmade penguin shaped chocolates would look even better as a topping?

DaphneBroon Sat 03-Dec-16 11:49:07

You'd have to tastecheckmthem for quality control first.
Sadly I remember one year DH had this idea of filling our iwn crackers with a real present for each person, rather than a rubbish trinket.
BIL got a silk tie, another man got silk boxers, the DDs each got pearl and gold earrings, Sisters inlaw got silk scarves etc etc. God alone knows what it cost, but all I know is that nobody seemed to appreciate the thought (and expense) that had gone into each cracker.
Cheepos from Sainsbury's ever after.

goldengirl Sat 03-Dec-16 12:02:45

You have to admit it fills up the pages of these newspapers / magazines though I have to say I just skip 'em. It's trying to highlight a certain lifestyle that only some people want - usually those with time on their hands and lots of money hmm

Anya Sat 03-Dec-16 12:35:15

I'm a great fan of Giles Brandreth's dry sense of humour.

Anya Sat 03-Dec-16 12:35:56

Would love him as a dinner guest - especially if he brought his own microwaveable food!

Anya Sat 03-Dec-16 12:37:42

Just off to the garden to see if there's any leaves on my eucalyptus tree. Never noticed if it's deciduous or not. Now for the labels.

rosesarered Sat 03-Dec-16 13:30:32

...but, but, doesn't everybody do the handmade place settings?How would one know where to sit otherwise? One could be placed next to that ghastly old Uncle Charlie ( unless one swapped labels when nobody was looking.)tchgrin

NonnaW Sat 03-Dec-16 13:42:57

Just read the article. What planet are these people on? Is she was genuinely using all of those services it would cost thousands! As it is, there will be 4 of us, having a non-Christmas dinner. We've given up all that time consuming cooking that gets eaten quickly then takes ages to clear away. Originally, DH & I planned a cottage break, just us and the dogs, jacket potatoes in the oven while we had a long walk on the beach, then just cook a couple of steaks. Now have sister and youngest son coming, but still contemplating jackets and steak.

Grannyknot Sat 03-Dec-16 13:46:34

... and wait for Kirstie's Handmade Christmas (on telly tonight) grin

Luckygirl Sat 03-Dec-16 14:02:25

Oh gosh - isn't Kirsty utterly nauseating? Can't stand her!!

ninathenana Sat 03-Dec-16 14:17:45

I don't mind Kirsty. It's Brandreth that sends me running for the hills.
No need for place names at our table. It will be the same 5 of us that sit in the same seats each night for dinner.

felice Sat 03-Dec-16 15:02:06

Oh dear,,DBF and I once decided to 'entertain' one Christmas.
Started Christmas Eve, dinner party for 12, traditional Scottish, Lamb Scotch Broth, Haggis stuffed game birds(don't remember which) Trifle.
Guests, 3 Scots, then Greek, Turkish, Iranian, Russian, French and Italian.
DBF tells all his friends 8.30 noooooo 7.30. Greek girl fasting on Christmas Eve, no dairy or meat, Russian couple Vegans ummmmm you can see where this went.
Christmas day, drinks party after Church for 10 with canapes, fine.
Christmas night, Dinner for 20, 6 courses went fine, don't really remember it much.
Boxing day dinner for 10 I am getting a wee bit knackered, DBF great but tends to chat and wander off.
That night I went towards the kitchen and DD and DBF asked if I was making tea, I burst into tears and he still hasn't after 14 years figured out why.

Linsco56 Sat 03-Dec-16 16:44:13

"Kirstie's Hand Made Christmas" I can't abide her either, so won't be watching that!....where's the Phantom Flan Flinger when you need him? grin

Rinouchka Sat 03-Dec-16 17:45:46

I buy cheap crackers with equally cheap gifts inside but all the other bits acceptable then, instead of the stupid but costly gifts inside more expensive crackers, I place a wrapped book on everyone's plate. I collect these over several months, some new, some from charity shops and sales( but they look new). I try to match the book to the recipient's interests. This year, we will be 12 for lunch, including a 7-month old baby. She gets a book, with music, of "The Wheels on the bus".

We all look forward to opening these parcels before the starter. Somebody usually remembers to get me one!

FarNorth Sat 03-Dec-16 19:23:53

felice you must be a domestic goddess to do all that.

I'm surprised you didn't throw something heavy at him while uttering ear-splitting screams!

BBbevan Sat 03-Dec-16 20:31:11

Oh! I've always done that Daphne Thought of something different this year though. Plate, knife , fork and spoon, with a napkin of course.Very novel I thought. ( takes tongue out of cheek )

annodomini Sat 03-Dec-16 21:07:12

Fuss-free Christmas, did you say, Daphne?
I cannot tell you the stress it would cause me to fiddle around with napkins, twine, sprigs of rosemary and mini meringues.

ginny Sat 03-Dec-16 22:28:25

Agree about the cost of outsourcing but actually we do make an effort with our Christmas table. We are lucky enough to have all or most of the family with us most years and everyone mucks in with the preparations. We always have a table centre and nicely folded napkins. Usually some small gift or novelty in each place sitting. It has become one of our traditions along with others that many might think of as silly or too time consuming but each to their own.