Gransnet forums

House and home

New Car - would you be angry?

(147 Posts)
Estellea56 Tue 13-Dec-16 13:04:20

Very much looked forward to collecting our brand new car the other day (probably our last) and when we got to the showroom the car was outside in the pouring rain. It had been raining all day and this was late afternoon.
When I protested about getting wet and examining the car in the pouring rain the car was reluctantly brought inside for us. I was so angry at this treatment. Am I just too fussy?
The car cost more than £20000.

Lona Tue 13-Dec-16 13:14:25

Oh dear.

Ana Tue 13-Dec-16 13:19:47

I expect it's their usual practice to take cars due to be collected that day out of the showroom. Yes, I do think you're being rather unreasonable.

Jayh Tue 13-Dec-16 13:20:06

Take comfort from the fact that you are not in Yemen or Aleppo right now. No need to use this car saleroom again.

kittylester Tue 13-Dec-16 13:21:13

Did you get flowers?

hildajenniJ Tue 13-Dec-16 13:33:01

It was raining the day we went for our new car last December. We don't have a garage, so it stands out in all weathers.

ninathenana Tue 13-Dec-16 13:41:01

Sorry, I think you are being unreasonable.
Cars are waterproof after all. On the upside you won't get a nasty surprise next time it rains and you discover a leak somewhere.

Greyduster Tue 13-Dec-16 13:41:02

Our last three cars have been handed over in the showroom and then driven out for us. A proper handover can take a while, and I would be extremely annoyed to have a handover in wet weather. Like you, would have insisted on it being moved inside. It is not too much to ask.

rosesarered Tue 13-Dec-16 13:45:00

Since all the paperwork is taken care of inside when you buy a car, when it comes to collection they often have the car outside ready for you to drive away.
You may get different treatment if buying a very expensive car ( I wouldn't know) but cars are meant to withstand rain, so don't see a problem.

Antonia Tue 13-Dec-16 13:54:10

All the technical explanations are usually made inside, before you collect the car and on the day you collect it, it is driven out for you ready for you to drive it home. I wouldn't see any problem if it was raining.

Anya Tue 13-Dec-16 14:02:38

What on earth are you moaning about?

jollyg Tue 13-Dec-16 14:24:41

How much would 20 grand go to help the poor?

Our car is probably worth 500GBP, but its got 4 wheels and an engine and gets us from A toB, if it last that long soon we will get it tax exempt.

Nelliemoser Tue 13-Dec-16 14:39:36

Yes you are being unreasonable. What are you going to do with this precious new car if it rains when you are driving it? The salesmen probably had to get it out of the showroom to make room for other cars.

If I were a a car salesman I would be very unhappy indeed to allow a customer to drive a big posh car out of the showroom in case he damaged other vehicles in there. Think of the possible complications of the insurance liability.

Did you get wet getting into your house?

Lillie Tue 13-Dec-16 14:56:49

Don't be too mean to Estellea56. Buying a new car should be an "experience", especially as it might be her last, or for all you know it might have taken a lot of savings.
We buy high end cars and yes, like Greyduster, we wouldn't be very happy to receive it in the pouring rain. For many years we used to travel to Germany to pick up our Mercs and after a brilliant tour of their pristine factory, our car was driven into a reception room with a red carpet and we had an in depth explanation about every function of the vehicle. Wunderbar!
I fail to see how you can be given all the instructions sitting at a desk without being shown the controls.
And really it should have nothing to do with the price of the car.

Anya Tue 13-Dec-16 14:59:39

I could understand if it was a new grandchild left out in the rain the first time you get to meet him/her, but all this fuss about a car????

A car is fir getting from A to B preferably without incident. That's all.

Ana Tue 13-Dec-16 15:02:38

I'm not sure what the OP means by 'examining the car'. Looking for minute scratches or flaws, possibly...confused?

DaphneBroon Tue 13-Dec-16 15:08:52

Are you planning to drive it only in fine weather or also in the rain though?

Surely you got the full detailed "tour" when you first saw it and had a test drive? Most new cars would be kept inside until they are due to be collected , can you imagine trying to drive it out of the showroom yourself? ???
Sadly I think YABU -First World problem smile

Lillie Tue 13-Dec-16 15:10:54

I'm guessing she means the workings of the doors, boot etc. and maybe an inspection of the wheels?
We recently asked to practise setting the alarm with a dog inside the car and the salesman struggled for over 10 minutes with that one. We would have got very wet waiting!!

mumofmadboys Tue 13-Dec-16 16:44:40

This thread has made me smile anyway Sorry Estelle I think you are being too precious.However enjoy your new car.

Luckygirl Tue 13-Dec-16 17:55:38

Would I mind? - No. If I had paid £200,000 for a car (I wish!)I would expect it to be waterproof.

Greyduster Tue 13-Dec-16 18:02:12

Well, Estellea56, that's me you and me put firmly in our places! ?

Stansgran Tue 13-Dec-16 18:28:39

I agree with Estelle and GreyDuster. Buying a car to me is a big amount of money and I would expect a little grovelling and curtsying by the salesmen when you think of the commission they get. We tend to buy with a lump sum and although I don't expect fanfares and choirs of cherubim I would expect it to be gleaming and shiny not splashed and muddy and a flourish of doors opened.

shandi6570 Tue 13-Dec-16 18:29:19

Sorry, but what is wrong with you all. Estellea has said they paid £20,000, not £200,000 and maybe this is the car they have always wanted and it's a now or never chance for them. I wouldn't expect to walk around the car in the rain to check everything if I paid that.

To compare their purchase and wishes with the terrible things going on in the world is wrong. They may have already contributed towards some of the charities etc and anyway, are you saying that no-one on Gransnet should be spending any extra money unless they are giving it to charity?

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 18:30:56

Umbrella?

Ana Tue 13-Dec-16 18:37:39

If the care had £200,000 then yes, I would have expected the red carpet treatment on picking it up. But honestly...tchgrin