Gransnet forums

House and home

cottage or not ?

(78 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 24-Apr-17 10:37:30

What is your definition of a cottage ?
To me, it's a small terrace or semi. Basically a two up two down. Unless your talking a typical chocolate box thatch.
On HUTH this morning the estate agent called a large 3 bed 1950s semi with very large garden a cottage.
Not in my opinion, what do you think ?

whitewave Mon 24-Apr-17 10:38:36

What's HUTH?

cornergran Mon 24-Apr-17 10:41:27

Homes Under the Hammer I think. My definition is more like yours nina, but when we were house hunting we saw 'cottages' with anything from one bedroom to five. Friends live in a four bedroom 'cottage'. We know it's a cottage because the name at the bottom of the drive says so grin.

Greenfinch Mon 24-Apr-17 10:44:47

The detached house next door to us is being sold as a cottage for an incredible price.I think it is because it is 1950's ,rural,painted white and has certain features like a small porch reminiscent of a cottage but in no way is it one.confused

ninathenana Mon 24-Apr-17 10:45:46

Yes Homes Under The Hammer, sorry I shouldn't have assumed people would know

MawBroon Mon 24-Apr-17 10:47:11

When I was a child my parents built a brick "outhouse/shed" in their garden. It was quite big but they had no storage in their 2 bed stone Scottish cottage.
Anyway Dad's reaction to both the price and the spec was to label it "The Cottage" and so it remained ever more.
We should probably have called it the "but an' ben " grin

Jalima1108 Mon 24-Apr-17 10:48:00

A small house in the country, probably detached or possibly semi-detached.

annodomini Mon 24-Apr-17 11:10:38

Mine is sometimes described as a miner's cottage -
this used to be a mining area. It's an end terrace - two up and two down. My image of a cottage used to be a small detached house in the country or a village, possibly thatched, with roses round the door and a garden overflowing with colourful perennials! Relatives used to have a period property (17th century) with a Tudor cottage in the garden which they sold separately. That was decidedly quaint!

fourormore Mon 24-Apr-17 12:01:56

I consider our tiny end of terrace (basically a 2 up 2 down)to be a cottage but 6yr old granddaughter put me right!
"It's not a cottage Grandma - it hasn't got a furry roof!"
That's me put in my place!
Call it what you like - it's HOME!

whitewave Mon 24-Apr-17 12:15:16

Some very wealthy people probably see the majority of homes as cottages!!!

Sorry about the huth haven't seen that.

janeainsworth Mon 24-Apr-17 12:31:46

Terraced houses aren't cottages.They're terraced houses.
Our first house was an end-terrace 2 up 2 down which the estate agent fancifully descibed as 'this delighful quasi-semi' grin

janeainsworth Mon 24-Apr-17 12:33:43

Hey!! That typo occurred after I had posted shock
I saw it happen with my own eyesshock
The correct version 'They're terraced houses' came up and then the words contracted shock

Greyduster Mon 24-Apr-17 12:40:58

Cottage with furry roof! And no, I don't live here.

Greyduster Mon 24-Apr-17 12:45:30

Posted before I could add that I have always considered a cottage to be a detached or semidetached dwelling without interior space to swing a cat. However, our friends have just moved from a property designated a cottage which certainly put the lie to that. It was enormous and rambling.

LadyGracie Mon 24-Apr-17 14:26:39

A cottage to me is low and quaint with small sparkling clean windows, roses round the door, an arch over the front gate with a not too well pruned shrub growing over and a thatched well kept hat! Just like my house in my dreams!

rosesarered Mon 24-Apr-17 14:28:03

I think of a cottage as either a terraced, semi or detached old ( really old) and small house in the countryside or on the edge of town.

rosesarered Mon 24-Apr-17 14:29:13

If large and rambling then not a cottage but a house!
Cottages were built for poor people.

Jalima1108 Mon 24-Apr-17 14:31:02

Not sure about the sparkling clean windows LadyGracie hmm!

with a robin nesting in the not-too-well pruned clematis growing over the porch

kittylester Mon 24-Apr-17 14:51:34

Surely cottages have low ceilings, as well as the furry hat, and beams, door frames that catch you out if you forget to duck, finger latches for the doors, uneven floors and a bathroom in a really odd place - possibly outside.

sunseeker Mon 24-Apr-17 15:01:12

I live in a cottage - has been called that since it was built around 150 years ago. It is detached, has more than 3 bedrooms, no roses round the door and definitely not sparkling clean windows! Part of it has very low ceilings with beams but it has been extended and in that area the ceilings are higher. It doesn't have a furry roof (unless the squirrels have got in again!)

LadyGracie Mon 24-Apr-17 15:10:11

I envy anyone living in my idealised version of a cottage, but it would definitely have sparkling clean windows Jalima. I do like clean windows, not to fussy about the rest blush

Jalima1108 Mon 24-Apr-17 15:22:25

ooh, just going to clean my kitchen window this minute blush
I did wash all the floors this morning!
And I'm not sure about a furry roof, all those spiders and insects

annodomini Mon 24-Apr-17 15:24:13

DS and family live in a house known as a cottage because that's what it was originally - a farm-worker's home. Over the years it has acquired several additions and is now a substantial house, but still called a cottage. No thatch and probably not sparkling clean windows!

Kittye Mon 24-Apr-17 16:23:04

Yes it has to have the "furry" roof, roses round the door and hollyhocks foxgloves and such in the garden. I grew up in a two up two down terraced house with outside toilet in backyard, would never have said I lived in a cottage?

marbles Mon 24-Apr-17 16:24:19

"quasi semi" grin

my definition is much like the rest - a country cottage is a small (that's the key) low ceilinged detached or semi with or without a furry hat.

a workman's cottage could be a terrace but very definitely two up two down

but small. bathroom probably downstairs. no cat swinging.