Gransnet forums

House and home

Renting your house out for a year and living in the Sun

(40 Posts)
Kateykrunch Sat 26-Aug-17 12:55:33

I can't get it out of my system, but 'think' I want to live in the sunshine. Has anyone rented their own house out for a year and used the income to rent a place in the sun? What state was your house in when you returned, did you use an agent? How did you find a place in the sun, was it a positive experience, did you want to stay out there or where you glad to come home? I think I am a bit unsettled and wanting a change and new adventure but a scaredy cat.

Welshwife Sat 26-Aug-17 13:25:23

I think that is a sensible idea. Depending on how big your house is I would either let it with one room less - aand have that room to store things you do not want to leave in the house as they would be in the way - the houses DD rented when she moved areas for a new job had no china or cutlery etc - or indeed furniture. Or you could maybe hire a storage unit.
I would start by finding out for a local agent the price you would get for the rental and do a bit of research into the area you would like to go to.
If you rent via an agent you would want a good one who does regular checks on the house - DGD worked for an Estate agent who did renting also and often went to inspect a house. They are also there to sort out any problems

Good luck with the idea - I think northern Portugal is nice and cheaper than many other places unless maybe you fancy a place with plenty of Brits living there.

Eglantine19 Sat 26-Aug-17 13:33:40

Let it unfurnished if you can or expect to find extra wear and tear on all furnishings. Carpets will probably need replacing or at least a professional clean. People in a short term let (which a year is) rarely take care of stuff that doesn't belong to them. The deposit takes care of some damage but not all and tenants are entitled to argue reasonable wear.
Having said that I think go for it! Bella Italia for me !

NanaandGrampy Sat 26-Aug-17 13:51:02

My sister and her husband arrive shortly en route for Spain to do exactly what you describe katey .

They have taken early retirement, are shippingsome of their possessions and storing the rest in the UK. They have let their house unfurnished with no problem. They have a management company to manage that end of things. They have got an accountant to deal with the finances and to be sure they claim what they're allowed etc.

They really did their research so they havedotted all the i's.

Because this was a long held dream, they even took language lessons so now, whilst not fluent , they get by.

They've rented out there and committed to a year but I doubt they'll ever come back willingly.

They did 3 months there over Christmas last year to test the water and only came back very unwillingly .

So it's very doable ! Good Luck !

SueDonim Sat 26-Aug-17 13:54:46

You'll need to check the tax implications, too, and landlord insurance and registration, ensuring your house complies with things such as electrical and fire safety standards.

I'd definitely use an agent, otherwise you may find yourself trying to deal with problems such as a broken boiler from afar.

Enjoy the sun! sunshine

Lillie Sat 26-Aug-17 14:07:12

It sounds like a great idea and done through an agent shouldn't pose too many problems.
I think there are companies who do actual house swaps abroad, so the person renting yours would be the person you rent from. Maybe in that way you would feel less apprehensive?

Primrose65 Sat 26-Aug-17 14:10:37

I've rented out my home while working abroad Kateykrunch and it was absolutely fine. A good agent will go through everything you need and can walk you through the process. Get a few local agents around and they'll give you an idea of how it works and how much rent you're likely to get. They'll be able to advise on furnishings and anything you need to do before renting.
I rented part furnished through an agent. Everything was fine on my return, no damage, no problems with the rent, garden immaculate. I was away for just over 2 years.

willsmadnan Sat 26-Aug-17 14:34:11

Have you considered a long term house-sit?. That way you don't really need to rent out your own house. Or you could split the year into say, 4, and try four different locations. There is a good website.... homesitters.com I think it is off the top of my head. We spent two idyllic years in the Languedoc - house sitting , with a free cottage in exchange for looking after a 'shabby chic' chateau while the owners were away.
I saw it advertised in 'The Lady'grin. We loved the lifestyle and the region so much we sold up in the UK and bought a little property in SW France, where we stayed for 15 years. I'll forever be grateful for the chance sighting of that advert!

Sunlover Sat 26-Aug-17 15:31:05

Sounds wonderful to me. Go for it!

suzied Sun 27-Aug-17 08:40:36

Go for it before we Take Back Control and have less freedom to travel.

Smithy Sun 27-Aug-17 09:40:38

Oh how I wish I was brave enough, I'd love to do what you are thinking of. However commitments wouldn't allow me (apart from being a scaredy cat!). There's plenty of good advice been given, hope it gives you that last push to make your dream a reality. I hope you will keep us posted as to how things progress. Lots of luck.

ctussaud Sun 27-Aug-17 10:16:37

Unless you can get by in the language or have friends already in the area, take this decision slowly. What is wonderful in the summer/good weather may not be so great in the winter, when you're relying on your own resources more. We once had a family holiday out of season, and in a villa nearby lived English expats. When they found out we were English, we were bombarded with visits "just for a chat", and they appeared totally unable to cope with entertaining themselves in a foreign country. This after several years of living there ...

Theoddbird Sun 27-Aug-17 10:51:50

Go for it. If you don't you will look back and wonder what it would have been like. Have the time of your life smile

TriciaF Sun 27-Aug-17 11:23:09

We did something like that and stayed on. You do need an agent though.
There are a few possible problems, but not too serious. It might take some time to find someone who only wants to rent for a year, and if you want to return you might have a problem getting the tenant to move.
Also the income you actually receive might be less than you expect - eg tax, fees. If you have a mortgage you need to inform the BS. etc.

Bbbface Sun 27-Aug-17 12:01:27

I'm surprised no one has mentioned healthy care and state pension implications.

glammanana Sun 27-Aug-17 12:32:00

As well as reputable Agents in your area look at Major Companies/NHS Trusts for staff who are moving to the area for further training/placements they always want good homes to rent for their staff and you can be certain of your income every month.We first thought of moving abroad yrs ago and did not go until the children left home a major mistake we should have done it when they where small,but hey-ho we had nearly 10 good yrs and don't have to think when we are older "if only we tried it" we did it enjoyed the experience and would move back to-morrow .

Annabel7 Sun 27-Aug-17 13:10:00

I rented out my house for 3 winters, mainly to show my children, who thought I would never dare. I did have a reputable agent, who ensured house met standards , found me tenants, collected rent, dealt with any maintenance problems. I visited the place Albir before moving there, I spoke spanish, but benefitted from an established ex-pat community, to tap into. I loved the fiestas, winter walks, sunshine, new friends. I was 65 at the time - not sure I would drive across Spain now at 74! Prepare well and go for it is my advice

DeeWBW Sun 27-Aug-17 13:31:52

We’ve been living in the sun of N.W. Spain for eleven years now and have just this week put our house up for sale.

All-round sun isn’t what it is cracked up to be. Believe me when I say two months in the sun would be fantastic but living in it is a killer. Why?

Your lawn dries out like hay.
Towels hanging out in the sun come into the house like cardboard.
If you want to enjoy some of the day, you have to get up at about 8.00 a.m. because, if you get up much later, the sun will be too hot to go out into (remember ‘mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun’).
That afternoon siesta (sleep) that Spaniards have is because the heat is too much to get through the day without napping.
When ‘humidity’ falls upon you, it’s horrendous. I didn’t know what humidity really meant and so I asked someone, who gave me a perfect description. She said, “You know when you are hot, you go into the shower to cool down? Well, humidity means that four or five minutes after getting out of the shower and getting dressed, you’re sweating again.” She described the discomfort perfectly and II can tell you that it is like a damp heat, like menopause sweats. Not good.
The abundance of flies arrive when you’re eating outside and flies bite, so think nothing of having six or seven bites on one leg only.
And more ….
So that is why we have a beautiful house in N.W. Spain (www.myhouseinspain.wordpress.com), which we will be leaving behind. And bear in mind that while we are having 35C / 95F in our garden, the holiday resorts where most people decide to buy a house to live the dream are getting 45C / 113F. Give me 24C / 73F any time and, with a little bit of rain scattered in between, we get a beautiful lawn, washing that dries perfectly, more timid flies and all day to enjoy the gentle heat.
Our house would be ideal as a holiday home but, unfortunately, all of our cash in this house and we need to sell, so as to buy something once again in England.

All hail England!

DeeWBW Sun 27-Aug-17 13:34:26

Oops! I should have also said by all means rent but stay only a while e.g. three months You really will miss home.

VenusDeVillendorf Sun 27-Aug-17 13:54:46

I was talking with a lady who moved to Palma and she enjoys it but comes "home" in the summer as she just can't stand the 35+ degree heat. She rents out her apartment there as a holiday let, and stays with family for the summer.

She also said that post brexit all her expat friends are getting very, very alarmed that they won't be eligible for any free healthcare at all. She has an Irish passport so this doesn't apply to her.

The European healthcare arrangements with the NHS will stop and in the future everyone with a GB passport will need to buy private health insurance and pay for health services which are now free, including prescriptions, and outpatient services.

Premiums go up if you have to access healthcare- even with insurance, you end up paying cash every time you see a GP and dentist, on top of consultant fees, and inpatient charges.

Factoring in paying for equipment like dental fillings, crowns, IV drips, bandages and crutches, and medicines, and for scans like MRIs or CAT it adds up horrifically as the insurance doesn't even touch the real costs of having any tests, being ill or having a fall, or needing nursing, or convalescent care.

A lot of her friends are moving back to the UK, as soon as they can, as they can't afford the upcoming healthcare costs.

I'm not sure a blast of "the sun" is worth all those costs and worry about becoming ill or infirm, or having an accident and having to sell up to pay for any kind of treatment, including emergency, or care.

You'd be left with absolutely nothing.

Tessa101 Sun 27-Aug-17 14:25:29

Something I've been contiplating for a few years, every time I start to feel time is right something happens that halts it. My friend has done it her house is fine in U.K. And they rent an apartment in Spain and run a little sandwich bar. You need far less money out there to live than here. I say go for it.Dont ever have any regrets.

VIOLETTE Sun 27-Aug-17 14:29:53

Although scarey, the possibility of the withdrawal of the reciprocal health cover has not yet been decided ...no one knows what is going to happen !

We lived in Menorca, where it was very hot in summer, but cooled by being nearer to the sea ......most people stay indoors with the a/c on as it is necessary. Shops were closed 13,00 - 17,00 or 19,00 but we loved the life ! Then my OH decided he would like to live in France, so off we went to Brittany .renovated an old house, decided weather too much like winter in UK, moved to SW France ....weather today is 37 degrees and too hot ! Topping up of pools is banned by a water use restriction ....we are sitting it out indoors with the a/c on and praying for rain (which was forecast for this weekend, but now has gone back to next Thursday !!! If you like the heat, that's ok .......but I think I would prefer to return to Menorca as although there was a heatwave in 2002 (as there was in France !) nowhere is less than a few km from the sea ....it does not attract 'stag parties' like a lot of Spanish places and the lifestyle is wonderful ...people are friendly ...regret moving from there, but now stuck as house prices have collapsed, the euro exchange rate has collapsed ......hoping we can stay in Europe as couldn't even afford an old caravan in the UK ! Best advice to anyone now would be rent (reduced rents for long term between Sept and June (non holiday times) ...best time to go, explorem ask questions (look at Eye on Spain website ...just seen a winter (Sept to June) i Fuerteventura for 220 euros a month .....you would get more than that from renting in the UK (plus you are allowed something like £4,000 tax free from renting ..but do get a reliable agent, AND only rent FROM a reliable agent abroad .....go for it ...and then decide after the BREXIT negotiations are known, whether to move permanently or not ......some rumours have it that you will only, if at all, receive the reciprocal health care if you have lived in Europe for five years. In Spain, the reciprocal care WAS free, but in France you pay a 'top u p called a Mutuelle, which can be expensive ..for my OH (aged 84) it is E106 pcm and for me E80 at the moment .....do a lot of research ..join forums and discussion groups ....go to visit all the places you have in mind and talk to local ex pats if you don't speak the language ....but maybe you would regret it if you at least don't explore ! Good luck !

nonnasusie Sun 27-Aug-17 14:45:28

All that Dee has said is true of Italy too. Ok for a holiday but that's it . All our money is in our house too but the economy in Italy is so bad now that we couldn't sell it. Even my Italian born husband (who lived in England for 44years) has had enough. We shall have to wait and hope it all improves! I might add that when you have a cool shower it's impossible to get dry?

Welshwife Sun 27-Aug-17 15:15:10

Violette is right about the healthcare - nothing has been decided and the EU - who are doing far more for UK. citizens living in the EU than the UK Govt is - are wanting the reciprocal healthcare to continue. This actually is financially beneficial to the UK - they have an agreement with France and pay something less than £5K per person for the healthcare- it will cost them twice that if everyone moves back to UK. Our mutuelle is less than Violette pays - but it does depend on the level and company - we had more expensive quotes from other companies. (We have the middle cover 200% which has paid all bills fine including ITU).
The post from Venus is in the main scaremongering. Even if there is no reciprocal agreement there will be other options for people to go for such as paying the 8% social charges. People who are working will be fine if their work continues as they are paying charges anyway - it is pensioners who will possibly have a problem.

Norah Sun 27-Aug-17 16:02:03

We trade house every year, for a month, with people to the Languedoc region. We also trade NW holiday house with people to the SE. Autumn DH plans on exploring a trade to Spain. He uses an agent, I don't muddle in.