Gransnet forums

House and home

"I don't have that problem"

(61 Posts)
maryhoffman37 Wed 20-Sep-17 10:13:51

My husband and I were still in bed, listening to the radio at about 6.30am when we heard an item on the Today programme that made us both gasp. A man was being interviewed about a a new gadget called Google glasses and John Humphreys asked him if he could walk down the street ordering his shopping. The man - I didn't catch his name - replied "Well, I'm married so I don't have that problem." There was a sharp intake of breath from both of us and I asked, "is this the 21st century?" What do you think? Is shopping still "a wife's job"?

illtellhim Wed 20-Sep-17 10:20:11

www.mumsnet.com › ... › Feminism chat › A wife's job is to look after her husband

Nonnie Wed 20-Sep-17 10:26:56

Not in this house! DH hates me going with him to the supermarket as I don't stop and read all the offers so I very kindly let him go on his own!

grannysue05 Wed 20-Sep-17 10:46:12

Not at all. I used to do all our weekly shopping before we both retired.
Used to be a real chore but necessary of course.
Now hubby loves to go and potter and spends a whole morning choosing the weekly shopping.

glammanana Wed 20-Sep-17 10:56:20

My hubby enjoys doing the supermarket shop just for the time it saves,when I go I know that many people locally I am sure to meet someone in the store and then 10mins are taken up catching up on things,this can happen 2/3 times when in store so he prefers me to stay home and he is back in super quick time with any bargains he has found to boot.

paddyann Wed 20-Sep-17 11:06:22

I think we still live in the 1950s .....by choice.I do the cooking cleaning,shopping ,washing ,ironing ,child care ,OH does the decorating ,repairs,garden ,car stuff etc...though he does make a decent cup of tea.I dont like anyone in my kitchen and if I want shopping it needs to be my choice not a subsitute that someone else thinks is just as good.It works for us ,we've been happily married for 42 years AND worked together every day since we met .

Alima Wed 20-Sep-17 11:14:24

I used to do the big shop. Wouldn't have been fair to send DH as he doesn't drive and we don't have a donkey. Now we are retired we go shopping together mostly, just part of our routine. He is quite happy to pop to the shops on his bike for the odd thing. That bloke on the radio may have been speaking in jest or maybe he just has a death wish.

FarNorth Wed 20-Sep-17 11:18:03

It can only be seen as a jest, in a society where it actually happens.

ninathenana Wed 20-Sep-17 11:29:18

Tuesdays I do the top up shop alone when H is working. Since he retired nearly ten yrs ago we do the big shop together and make joint decisions on what to buy we always have lunch out at the same time. It's just as likely to be H as me that stops and chats to people, which is fine I just carry on round the shop.
He's happy to walk to town (15mins) for extra milk etc. when needed.
In the 30 yrs we've known one couple it's always been him that shops as he does all the cooking.
We have "man jobs" and "women's jobs" in our house but shopping isn't one of them.

FarNorth Wed 20-Sep-17 11:48:40

Don't know if this is the thread you meant illtellhim, but it's a good one, on whether men's health is damaged if their female partner is the breadwinner.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3025890-Telegraph-reports-that-female-breadwinner-damage-their-husbands-health

Oldwoman70 Wed 20-Sep-17 15:24:19

I always did the shopping but I think that came about because when we first married DH was working two jobs and barely had time to eat and sleep never mind go shopping! When things became easier we would do the same as paddyann, OK I suppose it was based on "womens jobs" and "mens jobs" but it worked for us. Surely as long as both parties are happy with the arrangement that is all that matters.

M0nica Wed 20-Sep-17 15:50:01

Yes, I look after the domestic side of thing. DH's job meant he travelled a lot, often at short notice for indeterminate periods of time. I saw myself as the household manager handling everything domestic and financial. House purchases and sales, the lot.

However, practically, I am completely inept, diagnosed in my 40s as dyspraxic, whereas DH is a whizz with all things mechanical and practical. This afternoon I have sat handing spanners, stanley knives and mole wrenches to DH while he assembled new large lawn-mower.

Our division of labour is based not on gender but on a skills.

Serkeen Wed 20-Sep-17 15:50:31

In reality Yes..not because I think that is how it should be but because that is how it still is..mostly

margrete Thu 21-Sep-17 10:14:50

Noooooooo!!!

I don't like shopping, never have, get frightened in supermarkets, all those people not looking where they're going, scary shopping trolleys banging into your ankles.

DH does the shopping online. He always liked going shopping to 'see what there was'. Now he does an online Tesco shop. I think he could do it better by looking at 'favourites' or 'last week's order' because mostly we order the same things. He insists on typing everything out again.

Was interested that someone wrote 'I don't like anyone else in my kitchen'. MY kitchen? Reminds me a bit of 'Last of the Summer Wine' - Thora Hird putting newspaper on the floor for her husband to walk on.

Nonnie Thu 21-Sep-17 10:26:24

margret nothing to do with the OP but your Thora Hird (which I never saw) reminds me of Margo in The Good Life when I tradesman was about to come in through the French window, so funny.

silverlining48 Thu 21-Sep-17 10:34:40

Yes i heard that on r4 too, and i was surprised that he wasn't picked up by the interviewer on what he said. i wonder what his wife had to say when he got home. Didnt he say something like i have got a wife to do that sort of thing. ?

My husband does most of the food shopping these days, not because i cant, but he prefers to so i am not going to complain.

MinniesMum Thu 21-Sep-17 10:35:02

I hope that chap on the radio is now making himself comfortable in the garden shed! What a pillock! We share most chores but DH is just out of hospital so I am doing everything and to be honest I am cream-crackered and I am realising how much hard labour he does when he is well. Raking out the Rayburn, bringing the coal in, he does most of the hovering and I dust and polish. All the cooking is down to me unless it is egg and chips which he can manage nicely. I am ignoring the overgrown lawn for now but I might have a go at it tomorrow.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 21-Sep-17 10:49:17

I gave up 'we wanna be together' shopping many years ago.It would take me longer to find DH, me searching the various aisle's to find him than it did to do a weekly shop.
Where would I find him? no other than blocking an aisle standing chatting to a pair of 'wanna be together shoppers'

moobox Thu 21-Sep-17 10:52:17

My DH does, but a)it costs twice as much as when I go as he picks up what he fancies, not what is best value, b)he looks at the price on shelf labels but doesn't read what they say, so doesn't realise the price applies to anther item, c)he always buys the same things and d) lists don't make any difference, because he doesn't get half the stuff on them.

Rolande Thu 21-Sep-17 10:54:51

This thread cheered me up this morning..first wedding anniversary without my hubby who died few months ago.

IMO all household chores should be shared. I used to do the shopping, then I started night duty so DH took over, then he got cancer so I stopped work and did everything and looked after him. But by that time shopping on line became popular. Thank god for that! Hate huge supermarkets and I can do my "big shop" on my iPad in bed. Now, that is luxury wink

cassandra264 Thu 21-Sep-17 11:07:39

I have to say I don't do much online food shopping as I much enjoy chatting to the checkout people (we live in a less populated area and I do try not to annoy other people in this way if there is a queue!). DH and I used to go to the supermarket together. However,aforementioned significant other is an incorrigible impulse buyer, as a result of which the bill was always 30% higher. So now I do the shopping alone, and he does the ironing (which I hate).Division of labour.

Crazygrandma2 Thu 21-Sep-17 11:09:09

I would say of course not, but it does depend on what suits the couple. My DH hates shopping and on the occasions he does come the bill soars! So we share the task; I go out and do it and then he is on hand to carry it all up from the basement garage to the kitchen. Teamwork! smile

paddyann Thu 21-Sep-17 11:13:31

In our case its not "man jobs and woman jobs" we do the things we like and enjoy doing.I'm not a gardener ,if pushed I might rake up some grass and my other half wouldn't know where to start cooking dinner for 4 or 6 people whereas I love cooking .I 'm happiest looking after my family .Surely thats what feminism is ,the choice to do what you want

MissAdventure Thu 21-Sep-17 11:14:16

I don't think it matters who does what, as long as the couple are happy with it.

Marianne1953 Thu 21-Sep-17 11:15:42

Before I retired, My husband did a lot of the shopping, however, he always came back with things we didn't need or was always bulk buying for no reason ( all very costly).
He can't cook, but cleans very well, so he bought the cleaning stuff and I get the food, then I'm sure I don't get any waste. Btw, we have enough cleaning stuff to last us a year.