Gransnet forums

House and home

Lovely jumpers - Comfort or not?

(27 Posts)
Teetime Fri 13-Oct-17 15:55:58

Its handwashing lovely jumpers time again (I don't wear jumpers in summer at all) and I hate the whole business of handwashing and then laying it flat on a towel on the spare bed for days but the thing I hate most is the smell of Fabric Conditioner. It seems to go all over the house. Do you always use this on lovely jumpers or just the gentle liquid detergent and rinse well? I'd be glad to know your whole lovely jumper washing procedure but not the washing machine ones. I don't want to put them in there.

suzied Fri 13-Oct-17 16:03:15

I use Woolite and never use fabric conditioner - can't stand the synthetic smell. I would dry outside draped over a clothes airer . Mind you, my machine has a hand washing programme which washes silk, cashmere, wool absolutely fine, so that's not what you want to hear. Can't stand all that rinsing!

Tottylimejuice Fri 13-Oct-17 16:06:23

Errr, chuck em in the washer on the delicates or woollens programme, don’t use softner if you dont like the smell, hang on line or over the bannisters. I would never want damp towels and damp jumpers drying on my beds.

Alima Fri 13-Oct-17 16:21:35

Would using washing soda in the rinse keep them soft without the pong? (Don't have that problem. Very rarely wear wool, too itchy. Clad in fleece most of the winter. I never realised when DD1 was wearing fleece onesies to bed that fleece would become so prominent in my life!)

kittylester Fri 13-Oct-17 16:21:57

I also use the handwash programme on my washer and find it works well. Alternatively, could you do a short rinse and spin in your machine - or even just the spin?

M0nica Fri 13-Oct-17 16:28:59

I wrote a post but then realised you didn't want washing machine solutions, so didn't send it.

I do not know of any alternatives.

shysal Fri 13-Oct-17 16:39:05

If any hand wash recommended item that isn't really grubby needs freshening, I add a little Bold liquid (which includes softener) and run through the rinse cycle on the machine. This is just as gentle as washing by hand and they get a good spin. Dry flat or on a padded hanger and hey presto! Why wouldn't you want to use a machine if it does the trick? smile

lemongrove Fri 13-Oct-17 16:48:38

I used to use a very gentle detergent like Fairy, then do as you do teetime but don’t wear jumpers anymore , and yes, it was a real faff with them hanging about damply.

Gymstagran Fri 13-Oct-17 16:54:20

I use woolite too. Then spin slightly and dry flat on towels for a while and then hang loosely over drying rack.Never use conditioner. I think it's worth it.

J52 Fri 13-Oct-17 17:27:25

I use delicates liquid, gently squeeze them, then roll them in a towel to remove excess moisture.
Then I either spread them on the rotary dryer, in good weather, or put them on a clothes airer.
In the winter the warm air from the woodburner dries them overnight.
Fabric softener matts the fibres of wool and cashmere.

Greyduster Fri 13-Oct-17 17:40:43

I wear a lot of wool sweaters and can't remember the last time I hand washed one, but when I use to knit for GS I would hand wash them in Persil silk and wool, roll them in a towel and then put them across an airer either outside or in the conservatory. They never needed conditioner.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 13-Oct-17 18:12:20

I wear woollen jumpers a lot and hand wash them. As I haven't seen Woolite for years, or Stergene (loved the faint smell), I've been using Tesco Wool and Silk detergent, which doesn't have a lingering smell. Then I rinse and spin in the machine and hang them on the line, doubled over with with a peg on each cuff as well as the body so that the sleeves don't stretch. If it's a very, very delicate garment, like a shawl, I would lay it out on a towel on the floor.

As I hate the smell of fabric conditioner I never ever use it.

Now that I know that Woolite still exists, I shall hunt it down. Thank you! (Don't suppose anyone has seen Stergene?)

Greyduster Fri 13-Oct-17 19:50:55

I think most supermarkets still stock Stergene, wiwya.

hildajenniJ Fri 13-Oct-17 19:57:48

If I do have to hand wash articles, I use Fairy washing liquid, and spin dry in the machine before hanging over the radiator. I never bother drying things flat. I do try to buy jumpers that are machine washable though.

Elegran Fri 13-Oct-17 20:03:09

I have one of these Stackable Mesh Drying Rack 72x72x15cm £7.70 It lets woollens dry flat over the bath or held above the floor of the spare bedroom with the air reaching them from underneath - far better than laying them damp on the bed. It comes to pieces for storage.

PamelaJ1 Fri 13-Oct-17 20:03:51

I wonder who does use fabric conditioner? I don't .
Put my Ellie's in a pillow case and out them in the machine. Life is too short.
I do wash my bras by hand tho'

whitewave Fri 13-Oct-17 20:04:51

I use silk and wool wash on my cashmere sweaters and woollen stuff and silk stuff. I have a separate wool wash and separate silk wash which I use for both delicates.
Never use conditioner- ruins the fibres. Dry flatfish on airer.
Everything stays as good as new.

Grannyguitar Fri 13-Oct-17 20:09:20

I don't use fabirc conditioner any more. I put a dose of white vinegar in the final rinse drawer instead - kills any remaining froth, and no, you don't smell like an escapee from the pickle factory!

PamelaJ1 Fri 13-Oct-17 20:16:51

Granny, I put white vinegar in with my towels

Cubagran Fri 13-Oct-17 20:41:18

Well, this works for me: wash in an Ocado woollens/delicate liquid, fabric softener as well. 30 minutes tumble dry on a low heat with a tumble dry sheet in. Towels on spare beds, shape jumpers (stretch to size!). Leave 24 hours, finish off on hangers.

judylow Sat 14-Oct-17 08:04:40

It has never occurred to me to use fabric conditioner when I hand wash jumpers. I use whatever hand wash liquid I have, roll in a towel and hang on a dryer. Machine wash most of them though. Lakeland used to sell a wool wash that didn't need rinsing out, though I think I always did.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 14-Oct-17 08:18:56

Not here, they don't, Greyduster, but I shall now hunt for a bigger supermarket. You have given me hope!

Elegran Sat 14-Oct-17 08:20:44

There is Stergene on Amazon.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 14-Oct-17 08:22:07

Oh dear - that's a moral dilemma then... I'll keep on with the supermarket hunt first!

Iam64 Sat 14-Oct-17 09:17:08

I've always hand washed woolly jumpers, they're so expensive and I follow my mothers advice to wash inside out, roll in a towel to get the excess water out and dry flat on another towel.
Mr iam on the other hand, throws his into the washer and rarely has a problem with shrinking.
After reading this thread, mine are going in the washer as well (inside out, on the woollens wash with special washing liquid for woollies or silk)