Gransnet forums

House and home

Hand soap?

(47 Posts)
Salmo Thu 18-Jan-18 10:18:13

Can anyone recommend a good everyday soap bar that doesn't go to mush after a week or so of use? And preferably has a pleasant smell and not too many potentially allergenic ingredients. My OH has sensitive skin, and for years we have used Imperial Leather, but these days it goes to slimy bits very quickly. I use Pears, but this seems to have changed too, and doesn't suit his skin.

kittylester Thu 18-Jan-18 10:21:00

We use an imperial leather pump bottle, there should be one to suit you both

mollie Thu 18-Jan-18 10:22:49

Why not try a liquid soap? You can get bottles for sensitive skin, without perfumes etc and there’s no messiness that you get with a traditional bar of soap.

hildajenniJ Thu 18-Jan-18 10:31:20

I use liquid hand soap in the kitchen and loo, but in my bathroom I have a bar (wedge) of soap that was given to me as a gift. It came from Lush, and it has kept it's integrity even when the grandchildren have had it in the bath. I don't use it as much as I would if I had it in the kitchen though, but it is keeping its scent. As it was a Christmas gift, (from last year but only recently opened) it smells of spices.

Salmo Thu 18-Jan-18 10:44:54

I'm trying to minimise my use of plastic packaging, so don't want to change to using bottled liquid soap. Thank you for the Lush recommendation - I will try it, though I suspect it will not suit my husband

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jan-18 10:49:16

I've seen lush soaps recommended for skin conditions on a lot of forums, even though they aren't specifically marketed to treat them, so you may be lucky.

Scribbles Thu 18-Jan-18 10:49:35

I've given up on bar soap because I'm tired of chipping dried-on mush off the basin. My OH has sensitive skin problems and we use Waitrose Essential sensitive liquid hand wash. In the kitchen, I use huge blocks of Marseilles soap, bought in French supermarkets, which are mild on the skin and great for hand washing delicate items.

Greyduster Thu 18-Jan-18 10:58:17

Liquid hand soap in the kitchen and loos, but I use Simple soap on my face and it doesn’t seem to go to mush. It has no scent, though. DH, who will not use shower gel, uses Wright’s Coal Tar, both at the sink and in the shower and it is a nightmare. The suds it creates turn the grout yellow and it has to be scrubbed off! It should be banned!

Squiffy Thu 18-Jan-18 11:05:07

Faith in Nature soaps (bars) are excellent and no nasties in them. No mush either!! They are naturally scented and last well. Also, Dr Bronner bars.

midgey Thu 18-Jan-18 11:29:53

I remember my mother saying that during the war soap was put in the airing cupboard to dry out and that made it last longer, might that be worth a try?

Auntieflo Thu 18-Jan-18 11:37:03

Salmo, have a look online at ' Graceline' beauty products. I saw her, Grace, on a recording of Escape to the Country, and she makes organic products from seaweed etc, collected from the Jurassic coast in Dorset. Bar soap is one of them.

Marelli Thu 18-Jan-18 12:10:16

We use the Imperial Leather (bars) for hand washing in bathroom and kitchen. I have a magnetic holder in the bathroom where you but a wee metal disc in the soap and it’s held by the magnet, so the soap doesn’t go soggy. (eBay).

Marydoll Thu 18-Jan-18 12:26:56

My DD has extremely sensitive skin, but finds Lush a good place to go. Explain what you are looking for. I always find them so helpful.

harrigran Thu 18-Jan-18 13:04:01

I use Simple handwash throughout the house but L'Occitane,for my face,
DH has Knight's castille, very little perfume and remains intact to the very end. I stockpile his soap in a cupboard and it seems firmer than newly bought bars.

Eglantine21 Thu 18-Jan-18 13:42:19

Black Acres Soap Pantry Pure, if you can get it. A small handmade business. The only soap that doesn't bring me out in a rash and lasts a ridiculously long time.
I can get mine locally but they do have a website I think.

Witzend Thu 18-Jan-18 13:48:55

I buy Asda baby soap, very mild and cheap on top - and keep in a dish with drain holes, so it doesn't go mushy.

Cherrytree59 Thu 18-Jan-18 14:05:33

Baby soap or pears

Cherrytree59 Thu 18-Jan-18 14:12:53

Sorry just re read your post OP (not pears)

My MIL had a gadget that held the soap bar from the top which allowed the soap drain and not go soft, which soap bars tend to do when sitting in a soap dish .

Cherrytree59 Thu 18-Jan-18 14:20:31

Salmo Can't do links but Amazon do a magnetic soap holder as described in my last post (14.12) £5.99 (free post with amazon prime)
You could then still use imperial leather bar which is suitable for your DH.

lemongrove Thu 18-Jan-18 14:29:10

Wrights Coal tar soap is good for sensitive skins and mild psoriasis.
Have never noticed Imperial Leather going to mush or bits, it may be your soap dish? Is it plastic? Is it too deep?
We have shallow ceramic soap dishes.

JackyB Thu 18-Jan-18 15:36:56

Here in Germany hand soaps are available in refill plastic bags so you don't have to buy a bottle every time.

Salmo Thu 18-Jan-18 16:14:33

Thank you all so much - some good ideas for bar soaps to try and storage suggestions. I'm sure the formula for Imperial Leather has changed, as it always used to stay in good condition on the integral soap dish on the sink, right to the last slither. These days it is mush in no time.
Midgey, you have reminded me that my great aunts used to open soap and keep it in the airing cupboard, sometimes for years before use. I will try that. it made the sheets smell nice too. smile

SueDonim Thu 18-Jan-18 16:51:57

I use supermarket own-brand soaps and find them good. Not their basic ranges but ones a little more luxurious. Sainsbury's and Waitrose both do soaps for about £2 for a large bar which lasts ages.

Lazigirl Thu 18-Jan-18 20:30:58

Dove cream bar, last ages in shower & cheap.

Chewbacca Thu 18-Jan-18 20:34:27

L'Occitan tablet soap will keep to it's original shape right down to the very last sliver. It never goes slimy in the soap dish. A little more expensive but worth every penny.