Gransnet forums

House and home

Watch your step in the snow.

(80 Posts)
Liz08 Tue 27-Feb-18 14:34:21

I heard that paramedics summoned to help 'ladies of a certain age' when they have fallen in the snow use the call sign "Nan Down" ......... smile

shysal Wed 28-Feb-18 09:30:37

Only a light covering in my part of Oxfordshire. I put my Yaktrax onto my walking boots this morning for my daily walk. They work very well but are a devil to stretch over the sole with my stiff hands!
Yaktrax

chocolatepudding Wed 28-Feb-18 09:58:19

I will be on Community First Responder duty later this week so I shall listen out for "Nan Down" from a paramedic.

In the past few weeks I have attended several patients who have fallen in the garden or out of bed. Just need a couple of ambulance crew to get them up again.

aggie Wed 28-Feb-18 10:18:30

I should be at our seniors club this morning , but cancelled . The pavements are so slippy that I was afraid to venture out , even though it is only round the corner and accross the street , no intention of adding to the statistics !

Craftycat Wed 28-Feb-18 10:22:12

I was Nan Down at 7am this morning when I went out into garden early to fill bird feeders. I then went back to bed to nurse my wounds- well more my pride really.
We have about 4" here in Surrey although the sun is now shining. -8 overnight.
I believe it will be OK today & then back again tomorrow.
The schools are closed & the children are loving it!

Willow500 Wed 28-Feb-18 10:26:23

In the middle of a blizzard here - we normally miss out on the bad weather. I have to go to the opticians and the post office later and can only walk so wondering what to put on my feet for safety. Wellies are cold and pretty slippy but although my Emu boots are waterproof it's only up to the laces which is definitely under the snow. Rather worried about falling - getting old - wouldn't have crossed my mind in years gone by sad

Amma54 Wed 28-Feb-18 10:30:55

My paramedic daughter tells me they say 'granny down' which doesn't have the same militaristic ring as 'nan down'

David1968 Wed 28-Feb-18 10:41:06

"Nan down" sounds better to me, than "old woman down". I wonder what determines the criteria for "Nan", as used in this context?

pollyperkins Wed 28-Feb-18 10:42:46

Hardly any snow here in Northants! So far at any rate.

ReadyMeals Wed 28-Feb-18 10:45:26

I'm not leaving my house till the snow is clear!

Coco51 Wed 28-Feb-18 10:50:54

Anyone see that F/B post encouraging people to check on old folks during cold weather? It said ’They usually have lots of biscuits so wear something with deep pockets’!

littleflo Wed 28-Feb-18 10:53:53

My son is a paramedic and I can confirm that this is true. I have seen him, on a few occassions, handling older people. Like many of his colleagues, the way they treat older people is so kind and gentle. A sense of humour is essential in this very damandimg job.

Minerva Wed 28-Feb-18 11:11:02

The last time this Nan went down I crunched my knee and broke my leg very badly. I can’t remember the interval while the ambulance was in its way but I will never forget the kindness and care of the paramedics. It took them two hours to get me down our twisty stairs from the top floor and I can’t remember anything more. I can’t remember what they looked like even, just how kind they were.

HootyMcOwlface Wed 28-Feb-18 11:13:05

willow I read somewhere that putting a sock OVER your shoe helped with grip - haven't tried it though.

I was a 'Nan down' in the snow before Christmas - and broke my wrist! We have a blizzard here and about 4 inches of snow so I'm staying in! I haven't even managed to go and top up the bird feeders (feeling a bit guilty about that!)

Elrel Wed 28-Feb-18 11:16:55

Yesterday I left the school where I volunteer saying ‘At least it isn’t snowing’. Then I saw a tiny flake, as I walked 50 yards to a bus stop it rapidly became a blizzard, my coat was covered in snow.
It’s ice that scares me, I should have got those shoe spikes!

SillyNanny321 Wed 28-Feb-18 11:20:12

I am staying in so hopefully no chance of me being Nan Down. My DGS would laugh his almost 7 year old socks off if he heard that. He is lovely really. Snow was about 3-4 inches yesterday & another 3ish inches on top last night so not going out even to feed the birds as i managed yesterday but not today. Roll on Spring or at least the end of the snow!

annodomini Wed 28-Feb-18 11:20:47

I don't think the paramedics who delivered me to A&E after a fall six months ago used the term 'nan down', but it would have been most appropriate. I'm doing my best not to be 'down' this winter. It's too cold to go out anyway!

Dianic Wed 28-Feb-18 11:38:38

We have 3 inches of snow front and back and live up a slope, so I don't think I'm getting to work tomorrow morning at 6.30am! The ice underneath the snow makes it impossible not to slide and DH's car has low profile tyres - useless! He's 66 and riddled with osteo-arthritis and myriad other conditions, so I'm not making him do the journey to and fro for 4 hour shifts in sub-zero temperatures. I know I'll get it in the neck from work, but seriously, I've been absent with illness for about 3 weeks total in 6 years... I doubt they'll be understanding though!
I hate the stress this causes us, but hopefully it'll pass by next week. Crazy isn't it?

Legs55 Wed 28-Feb-18 11:44:28

Very cold here -5C when I walked to my local shop for supplies at about 9 this morning. It has now "warmed up" to -2Cgrin

No snow yet but likely to get some tomorrow/Friday, even Dartmoor only has a mere sprinkling. It did snow yesterday afternoon, a blink & you missed it moment. Community Care Afternoon Tea has been cancelled for tomorrow so now nothing until Friday & Pilates, oh well I shall stay in the warm & do some spring cleaning boxes under my bed houseworkhmm

Dianic Wed 28-Feb-18 12:02:18

It's now snowing harder!!! I'm not going out today - but I'll need a walkabout tomorrow sad
I'm in Mansfield, Notts.

Elegran Wed 28-Feb-18 12:07:31

I've been fifteen minutes on hold waiting for Tesco to answer. My order was to be delivered between 10 and 11, but hasn't appeared yet - however it is listed online as having been delivered! Not to me, it hasn't!

sarahellenwhitney Wed 28-Feb-18 12:11:12

Nelliemoser What if male down? .
I have witnessed two males fall on ice recently
'Sorry. nans only'hmm

Elegran Wed 28-Feb-18 12:16:32

Through at last - apparently my order was on one of the delivery rounds that were cancelled. Earliest it can be rescheduled for is Friday morning. I am not risking falling on my erse walking to the shops so I'll have to use whatever is in the house until then.

It would have been nice to have been TOLD what was happening - either by email or by a phone call. I can't imagine that the shop is full of customers at the moment, so someone could have been phoning people who expected a delivery to let them know that it wasn't going to arrive!!!

luzdoh Wed 28-Feb-18 12:22:57

Thanks for reminding me to get my crampons on. I said in Lidle that I was cold and didn't like the snow and the young man on the till was very put-out and said it was wonderful and anyway it's warmer when it's actually snowing! I know it is but I am still cold!
Nan down! Brilliant!!

marioneliz Wed 28-Feb-18 12:24:51

I went down with a bang this morning!! Not a lot of snow but the paths underneath the layer we do have are treacherous. Sore backside and think I've slightly sprained my wrist. The dog sat beside me and barked and a kind young man helped me up.
Take care out there.

Kim19 Wed 28-Feb-18 12:45:30

I find 'Nandown' decidedly comforting. Lovely. I'm snowed up to knee level and I believe much more is to come. I'm well stored up and believe Friday will be when I might be able to venture forth again. Thank heavens telly is still working and iPad, of course. I'm watching the wind outside. Ferocious. Thank Heavens for retirement. I watched some of my working neighbours doing the needful this morning. Ugh! I remember it well. Then I got back into bed!