Gransnet forums

House and home

Are you or your OH Hoaders?

(68 Posts)
Glitterknitbaby Thu 31-May-18 19:36:15

I try so hard not to be but I have to admit to being a bit of a Hoader but so is OH and I think he is worse than me, at least I only hoard books, clothes and craft materials, he keeps ‘might come in usefuls’ which never do come in useful! I do have sort outs for the charity shop now and again and promise myself I won’t bring any more ‘stuff’in but my ‘stuff’ never seems to get any less!

lilypollen Thu 31-May-18 19:50:26

Yes, DH and we clash terribly as I am the other way. He has a garage full of junk "just in case" and moans as there isn't room for the cars and lawnmower. Wardrobes full of clothes he'll never wear including business suits though he's retired. Don't get me started on footwear. He likes a bargain in new clothes but never throws anything away. I'm always decluttering and taking bags to charity shops of clothes and household items.

M0nica Fri 01-Jun-18 16:32:03

I am not, DH would be if I let him.

Panache Fri 01-Jun-18 16:44:40

We are BOTH hoarders!!

He has kept everything ever used in 14 years of living here "just in case".............I dare say nothing because I have done exactly the same with clothes!Many whom have never been on my body or once/twice worn,partly due to fluctuating in size...............and then......

Due to a massive down sizing we both went completely berserk and totally got rid of just about everything from both Garage and wardrobes...............only to find our House sale fell through!!!

Serves us right for now we are facing a summer with house on the market......... but most of our garden equipment has been sold on or discarded!
I fare slighly better in that I have lost so much weight I do need to buy in new clothes anyway!!!(My story and I am sticking to it!!)

Its not as funny as it seems reading all this!

ninathenana Fri 01-Jun-18 16:50:20

DH hoards books and magazines in the spare room, in the loft .........he has Rugby World magazines going back twenty or more years. Flipping fire hazard if you ask me.
He also has 3 sheds and a garage full of 'useful stuff'

Fennel Fri 01-Jun-18 16:53:59

Poor you, Panache, and I hope you manage to sell soon.
My husband is a hoarder, and it's really annoying (to say the least.) I'm the exact opposite.
Especially as we're now in the process of downsizing, he just doesn't see it, keeps buying more "stuff".
It's no good telling him, he'll find out for himself in the end. When we eventually get into our new little house and can't move for belongings.

goldengirl Fri 01-Jun-18 17:06:15

DH is - Big Time. His motto seems to be 'if there's a bit of space then fill it!' It drives me potty and I'm ashamed to invite people to our house - it's not a home. That said he's the kindest person you could possibly imagine and has been very good to me over the last few years when I've been quite poorly. So perhaps it's unfair to grumble but this last week he's beginning to take over the grandchildren's bedroom - to have a sort out!!!!

loopyloo Fri 01-Jun-18 18:07:01

We have stuff everywhere, on every work surface. This reminds me I must tackle it again.
Do any of you people have good ideas?.

Besstwishes Fri 01-Jun-18 18:09:05

I’m a collector, not a hoarder.

One mans treasure is another mans junk. Or so Ive heard

paddyann Fri 01-Jun-18 19:51:16

I'm not OH has problems throwing things out.I swear he has 150 shirts in his wardrobe along with 100 odd ties.Well the ties will be going as I just saw someone looking for ties for a craft project.When he's at his Rotary night next week they will be severly reduced .He does like to be well dressed but with retirement looming I dont see hime wearing all his suits or ties reglarly so why hold onto them ?

1974cookie Fri 01-Jun-18 19:54:48

My beloved is a hoarder, big time. What is it with men and hoarding?

lilypollen Fri 01-Jun-18 23:35:32

I put it down to mine's parents not having too much disposable income when he was young and therefore kept everything they owned. He's since done well but the ethic hasn't gone away.

Willow500 Sat 02-Jun-18 06:49:12

I think it's probably me that's the hoarder in our house - we have boxes full of stuff in the garage from both decluttering here when we had the house up for sale 2 years ago and also stuff from my parents place I kept for no other reason than sentiment. We did have a clear out of the loft but it's still full of Christmas decs and bags full of duvets, pillows etc. and needs doing again.

On the other hand my husband has clothes he's kept for years - business suits he no longer wears or needs and is now struggling to find anything to fit him. He said yesterday he needs to throw it all out and start again (I was tempted to say if he could lose some weight he'd be able to wear them but didn't). He complains about not finding anything in the garage but the biggest problem is how do you get rid of it all when it might just come in useful one day?!!

silverlining48 Sat 02-Jun-18 08:42:52

Both hoarders of the ‘might come in useful’ ilk. Then there’s the sentimental treasures.,.,we try every now and again but it’s hard.
His many paint brushes were laid out in their glory yesterday as he is laughably clearing the garage. Some so old had only 3 bristles left. I did suggest he get rid of a few, it took a while but half dozen were eventually despatched to the paint brush heaven. Painful process!

Granstender Sat 02-Jun-18 09:11:42

I recently had to clear out my late parents house-both hoarders who had lived in the same house for over 50 years. The experience has caused me to re-assess my own hoarding habits with a view to sparing my own children the same painful experience (some time way in the future!)

angie95 Sat 02-Jun-18 09:19:28

Oh I hoard too. books, I have them everywhere, and now I have decided enough is enough, and am now blitzing, books are in bags going to charity shops. the only ones I am keeping are the ones I REALLY want to read, and I feel so good, so much lighter just by doing something easy , I think it takes time to be honest and say " Yes I am a hoarder" I didn't want to admit it, but so glad I did, Good luck to all those who hoard and are doing some thing about it x

allatsea Sat 02-Jun-18 09:21:22

Having de-cluttered after my divorce and downsizing a few years ago, I now live with a 'keeper just in case' type, which has caused various occasions of friction!
I have recently lost my Mother and had to clear her home. We kept a handful of sentimental items and the rest went to charity or tip. Sounds brutal and felt so too.
So now I'm starting the Swedish art of death cleaning - dostadninng! So far I have had 2 very satisfying trips to the local tip and even more pleasing gifts of clothes, ornaments and books to charity shops.
Now........I have to start training my lovely hoarder of a partner......

keffie Sat 02-Jun-18 09:23:19

I am a minimalist and my late husband a hoarder! My husband passed unexpectantly 3 months ago. It's been a job and a half sorting through his stuff. Even though we had a big clear out last year he had started re-hoarding again.

We had a big clear out last year when we decided to reclaim the master bedroom now we just have one adult child at home. Three out of four have flown the nest.

We have been in our home 14 years last year. Oh the stuff of his he had kept was unbelievable in his side of the bedroom and large built in wardrobes. Why just Why?

Empty boxes, broken headphones and so on! Having said that I would rather he was still with me with his junk than being a widow now

Pat609 Sat 02-Jun-18 09:24:09

D H is a hoarder. He can't throw anything away just in case. Worse than that if anyone offers him anything wood, paving slabs, bricks, old vehicles which sometimes he has to pay for, he grabs them with both hands, our once nice garden is like a reclamation yard. I must admit it's all tidy and in order but it's a constant source of conflict.

marpau Sat 02-Jun-18 09:26:37

I was until I saw a dress exactly the same as one I had in the wardrobe sell for over £100 on ebay. I bought it for a wedding and will not wear it again due to numerous photos on Facebook. So I dug it out and put it on ebay and have now seriously reduced the contents of my wardrobe. I think I have replaced my hoarding habit with a selling habit.??

Jayelld Sat 02-Jun-18 09:33:03

I Am A Hoarder! Before I downsized my last flat was "crammed"!!!!!!
It took 4 of us 2 weeks and 30 trips to the dump!
Then my D and SIL helped me unpack in my much smaller bungalow and another 15 - 20 bags went to charity shops or on ebay.
After nearly 5 years it's time for another clear out - but I'm NOT getting rid of my wool stash. gringringrinsmilesmile

ffinnochio Sat 02-Jun-18 09:33:46

Neither me nor Mr. Finn are hoarders, but when we lived in France, had a big house and loads of outbuildings, we accumulated quite a bit. Living in deepest country also meant that we kept things that might be useful, rather than driving miles to find the right sprogget etc! When we sold, we got rid of a great deal, but as we didn’t have a clue as to what we would end up buying in the uk, we now still have a sizeable amount in storage. Half of it still has to go, as we’re shortly moving into a very small modern house.
I guess that if one has room in their houses, then they get filled, simply because one can.

I really haven’t missed much at all. Made some chucking out mistakes, but overall it’s been a refreshing, freeing experience.

Grampie Sat 02-Jun-18 09:34:12

We gave away or sold the lot as we downsized.

But I still keep a drawer full of useful cables and chargers and my quilter wife has a trunk full of fabric.

ffinnochio Sat 02-Jun-18 09:34:31

Good luck with the house sale Panache !

Jayelld Sat 02-Jun-18 09:35:31

Oh and it doesn't help that I volunteer in a discount charity shop with everything £2 or less!