Gransnet forums

House and home

In-laws visiting - do we give up our bed?

(58 Posts)
MissingLincs Sun 08-Jul-18 20:23:25

My husband's parents are visiting us for 10 days from Canada towards the end of August. When we visit them we have the use of the guest room above the garage (such a lovely room) but we live in a 2 bedroom bungalow. The 2nd bedroom we use as a 'hobby' room and have a sofabed in there for guests to stay overnight but, even though it cost £100 more than the matching sofa, the sofabed isn't very comfy to sleep on. We are hoping for a few days away somewhere during the 10 days, possibly the Lake District or Scotland.
Should we give up our own bedroom for the in-laws and sleep on the sofabed ourselves?
What would you do?

Claudiaclaws Sun 08-Jul-18 23:38:40

In what way is the sofa bed uncomfortable?, if it's a mattress that isn't too good,buy a cheap duvet and put that on top and the sheet on top of that. I have just bought one for that very purpose, from Dunelm mill. It was £9.99 and it's 4 tog rating. Aldi have Duvets in at the moment, or try Argos.
I hope you resolve the problem and have a good time.

Eloethan Mon 09-Jul-18 01:06:01

Yes.

stella1949 Mon 09-Jul-18 03:29:11

To be brutally honest - why have you got an uncomfortable bed for your guests ? No matter how much it cost you, if it's uncomfortable that is awful. I'd suggest that if you can't sleep happily on it yourself, sell the darned thing and purchase something comfortable.

annep Mon 09-Jul-18 05:37:41

I'm 67 and have fibromyalgia. I am staying with daughter soon and am having a good quality mattress topper delivered as I will be sleeping in a sons room - he will share bunkbeds in other sons room. However if my husband was coming I would ask her to swap. But it is awkward having somebody's room. What about them needing access to it for dressing.. Your visitors might prefer the other room. You could make it cosy for them.

PamelaJ1 Mon 09-Jul-18 06:41:28

We bought a mattress topper for our futon which is in the study.
Everyone says it is now comfy. Obviously it wasn’t before but they were too polite to say!

mabon1 Mon 09-Jul-18 09:56:06

Of course you do.

annep Mon 09-Jul-18 09:59:12

Stella does have a point. Unless they want to hold on to it because it matches the living room settee.

Jaycee5 Mon 09-Jul-18 10:03:53

Unless I could afford to buy a more comfortable sofa bed, I would give up my bed.

Willow500 Mon 09-Jul-18 10:09:29

Difficult as it usually means all your clothes, make up etc are in the room and you invariably need something from it. Are you able to move all your stuff out into the hobby room for the duration? Mind you we emptied a wardrobe and drawers for my son & family when they came for 6 weeks at Christmas and they didn't use them - lived out of their suitcases and off the floor - stuff everywhere grin

adaunas Mon 09-Jul-18 10:42:04

We had this problem too but my parents refused to sleep in our bed. So even though our sofa bed was comfortable we bought a mattress topper to add that little extra. My D and SIL still enjoy the benefit of that now.

maddyone Mon 09-Jul-18 11:29:49

Your PiL are not old people, much younger in fact than many of us on here, so no, I don’t think you need to give up your bed for them. But I do think you should make the sofa bed as comfortable for them as you can, so do buy a memory foam topper as suggested. If you give up your room for them, it does cause other problems, ie you would need to access the room they are using in order to get clothing etc from your room. And they won’t have anywhere to put their clothing and toiletries.

glammanana Mon 09-Jul-18 12:35:40

I would invest in a mattress topper for the bed settee,if you need anything from the main bedroom during the stay you can access said items when in-laws are up and about.
You said that when you stay with them the guest room is lovely so why would you not give your best room in return.
Enjoy your visitors x

sarahellenwhitney Mon 09-Jul-18 12:36:37

Ten days is not a life time and hopefully there will be many more to come. Give them your room and buy a blow up bed for yourselves which can be easily stored for future use.

Redrobin51 Mon 09-Jul-18 12:39:49

Definately give them the bed they have taken the trouble to come all this way to visit and as this wouldn't be a regular occurance I would pull out all the stops. I always gave up our bed if my Mom and a friend came for New Year's etc wouldn't ahve dreamt of doing anything else.

Rosina Mon 09-Jul-18 12:51:35

Yes, I would.

Nanny41 Mon 09-Jul-18 13:31:01

I agree you should give up your bed for your in-laws if they are staying for a while, they will appreciate their sleep, and kindness you have shown.

mgtanne71 Mon 09-Jul-18 13:49:49

In this situation I would say "yes". Hope you enjoy their visit!

GillyEB Mon 09-Jul-18 14:32:28

Missing Lincs, I definatley would, but I would buy a memory foam topper from eBay to make it more comfortable for myself

Farrsan2003 Mon 09-Jul-18 17:07:34

Put the aerobed on top of the sofa bed. Will be very comfy.

Cherrytree59 Mon 09-Jul-18 17:20:26

When my grandparents, aunts and uncles visited my parents always gave up their bedroom.
Mum slept in with me,Dad for the couch.
My grandparents often came for a month.

So I would say yes,
if no spare room the mature visitors get the main bedroom

TerriBull Mon 09-Jul-18 17:24:50

I think the general consensus is a yes, I agree, it's not for long.

gmelon Mon 09-Jul-18 17:57:21

I agree that giving up your bedroom is the polite thing to do. If you feel you are comfortable with it then yes you should.

I couldn't do it though.
I could not bear to have someone elses bodies in my bed.
Sweating and shedding skin on my mattress.
Never.

Before I got organised properly I have, at short notice, cleared out rooms and purchased new beds when someone was coming. I appreciate that this may not be viable for everyone especially at short notice but it would still be a no from me for using my bed.

Jobey68 Mon 09-Jul-18 17:58:06

Sofa beds are notoriously uncomfortable unless you have a heavy duty sprung one which we did in our conservatory for many years and housed a multitude of over night guests who all loved it.
I'd be loathe to give up my bed and would be up for buying something suitable for spare room to accommodate your guests, no sense in having something to sleep on that isn't really fit for purpose! If replacing it isn't an option then I would get a topper In the short term but I'm sure they won't be expecting you to give up your bed, I certainly wouldn't do and I'm 50!!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 09-Jul-18 18:59:14

Sorry, I wouldn't give my bedroom up. I expect guests to sleep on the sofa bed - that is what it's there for. If they're not comfortable they can go to a B&B.
I don't wish to sound mean, but I used to have ILs staying with me and it was always a strain for myself and DH. Giving up one's bed is going too far.

OldMeg Mon 09-Jul-18 19:01:26

You may not win sh to sound mean lovesbeige but you do.