Gransnet forums

House and home

In-laws visiting - do we give up our bed?

(58 Posts)
MissingLincs Sun 08-Jul-18 20:23:25

My husband's parents are visiting us for 10 days from Canada towards the end of August. When we visit them we have the use of the guest room above the garage (such a lovely room) but we live in a 2 bedroom bungalow. The 2nd bedroom we use as a 'hobby' room and have a sofabed in there for guests to stay overnight but, even though it cost £100 more than the matching sofa, the sofabed isn't very comfy to sleep on. We are hoping for a few days away somewhere during the 10 days, possibly the Lake District or Scotland.
Should we give up our own bedroom for the in-laws and sleep on the sofabed ourselves?
What would you do?

Jalima1108 Mon 09-Jul-18 19:47:16

If you are reluctant to sleep in a spare room yourself because it's not that comfortable, then it's not comfortable enough for guests.

My sis-IL had a sofa bed which cost quite a lot, but after she had slept on it herself once she realised it was not at all comfortable so got rid of it and put a proper bed back in the spare room.

Tolaton21 Mon 09-Jul-18 21:24:58

The rule in our house is if our guests are older then us then we give up our bed!! If younger then not !!
Works well & nobody minds x

maddy629 Tue 10-Jul-18 06:04:54

I would give them the bedroom, I agree with Coolgran65

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 10-Jul-18 09:12:28

We did offer to give up our bed, OldMeg but MIL was absolutely appalled at the suggestion. DH insisted that we had bent over backwards which was quite far enough.

Synonymous Tue 10-Jul-18 17:29:12

I wouldn't be giving up my room but fortunately we do have spare bedrooms anyway so it isn't an issue. If we had no spare bedrooms I would pay their hotel or B&B bill. Buying a good spare bed would be cheaper! hmm

We did have serious problems when we went to stay with DS and DDIL and decided that we would use a good hotel in future. They wouldn't hear of it though and now give us their own room when we stay with them. We did sleep on the 'put u up' and bed in DGS's room but it was excruciatingly uncomfortable and we really couldn't manage at all. They understand the problem now that they have slept on it themselves but their bodies are much younger and more flexible but even DGS says how uncomfortable it is especially in comparison with our own spare beds. Poor boy is not going to get a decent replacement bed I fear since it is not yet at the top of the family's list!

FarNorth Tue 10-Jul-18 20:50:33

I expect you and DH needed a good bed after bending over backwards, lovebeigecardigans1955.

grannyactivist Tue 10-Jul-18 21:04:27

I have plenty of spare rooms so it's never been an issue for me. When my daughter bought her house she set apart the best (i.e. en suite ) bedroom for when I visit, she also bought a bed with a very firm mattress especially for me. It's not even very often that I stay over, but when I do I am always appreciative of her care for my well-being.
I'm sure your in-laws will be equally glad of a good night's sleep when they're with you. smile