Gransnet forums

House and home

I keep collecting buying"empty boxes" [hmm] plastic cardboard etc anyone else collect things they might need?

(66 Posts)
bikergran Sat 02-Feb-19 20:29:33

Do I need to see someone! confused

I have always liked boxes (square, rectangle,oblong never round) When going round d.i.y stored dh would always know where to find me round the tool boxes storage boxes etc and I always had to look inside them!

Just lately I have bought more! storage boxes (doesn't help when Home Bargain have been selling them at a £1 complete with lid)

I have a stash of them now but nothing in them, when I'm out I think " Oh that will do for such n such a thing" but somehow the "thing" never lands up in the box.

I used to sell bits n bobs on ebay so used to save empty cardboard boxes. I'm wondering if there is a reason for me collecting empty boxes!
Could I be lacking a vitamin lol.

My house is quite tidy smile I'm not a hoarder.

Anyone else collect things but then not use them?

BBbevan Sat 02-Feb-19 20:39:16

I do keep any boxes I like. Shoe boxes ,perfume boxes, I have a large Ottolenghi box and several pretty one I got with presents in. I keep them all. They all have uses. Ribbons, buttons, birthday cards, letters and cards from DGDs and ACs. etc. I never buy boxes although they have some nice ones in TKMaxx. Just love boxes

bikergran Sat 02-Feb-19 20:43:49

Phew,..thats good to hear BB at least you have something in yours! lol I just keep seeing these boxes n think ohh yes I might need that ..lol

Smiley4 Sat 02-Feb-19 20:53:36

I’m guilty of this. I keep boxes. They do come in handy ?

Marelli Sat 02-Feb-19 23:34:32

I like boxes, too. In fact, I'm lying in bed at the moment, looking at a stack of them on top of the wardrobe:
old hat boxes, a little cardboard box that would've held children's slippers, a tartan box...and in the front room cupboard, more boxes. Most of them are empty ?

Izabella Sat 02-Feb-19 23:59:52

I have to admit that since clearing out my parents home some years ago, I never hoard anything. It was a nightmare. As for the loft!

BlueBelle Sun 03-Feb-19 03:28:45

I m another box person I have a shelf full on my wardrobe upstairs and then more on top of my landing cupboard I even brought two really pretty ones home from the charity shop this week
Then in my shed I have (unpretty ones) that have come with things in but might be really useful
Yes I love boxes too different shapes, sizes, colours

Marmight Sun 03-Feb-19 06:07:52

I keep boxes after they are empty of their original contents 'just in case' then have a big clear out and immediately need the one which I've just disposed of. Mind you the same applies to most things I get rid of - clothes, china, household equipment .... hmm

RosieLeah Sun 03-Feb-19 06:48:39

Nice to know I'm not the only one. When I moved here, I didn't have enough cardboard boxes and had to struggle with plastic bags. Now, I rarely throw boxes away unless they are an odd shape. I also have guinea pigs, who love tunnels and places to hide in, so many of the boxes get used by them.

SpringyChicken Sun 03-Feb-19 08:27:13

Husband wanted to buy a box for empty storage containers in the kitchen. I drew the line at that.

craftergran Sun 03-Feb-19 08:43:18

note to self - throw the virgin broadband box that came last week, out. the pretty red cardboard will never be used.

Maggiemaybe Sun 03-Feb-19 08:54:11

a box for empty storage containers

I’ve got one of those. And one for empty gift boxes (and wrap). Boxes full of boxes. blush

Oldwoman70 Sun 03-Feb-19 08:57:38

Whenever I buy anything which comes in a box I keep the box, just in case the item needs to be returned. It's only when I am rooting around in the cupboard under the stairs looking for something that I find the box (usually several years later) and throw it away.

Thinking about it currently in the cupboard is the box the DVD player was in (bought 12 months ago), the box for the freesat box (bought 3 years ago) and heaven only knows what else - must go and have a rummage!

tanith Sun 03-Feb-19 08:58:00

I do keep cardboard ? boxes in the garage of varying sizes for sending parcels abroad and my ‘posh’ shoes are in their boxes in the wardrobe.

JackyB Sun 03-Feb-19 09:21:30

I keep boxes but can never find one the right size for my de-cluttering. All my old mobile phones are rattling about in a box that is too big and all my old glasses are crammed into one that is a tiny bit too small. (And no, they wouldn't fit if I swapped them either). But it's a nice feeling to have brought them all together from the various drawers and cupboards they were distributed in.

DS3 was here over Christmas and after threats from me finally started on a bit of de-cluttering, too, and was glad of the boxes up in the loft, next to his room. Mind you, he then stuffed the boxes full of clutter back into the loft for me to re-de-clutter at a later date!

shysal Sun 03-Feb-19 09:31:06

Me too! I don't buy any but save boxes, padded envelopes, poly bags from mail order catalogues, plastic food trays and cereal boxes in case I need some card. I binned a pile the other day, just keeping one of each, but it was very difficult!

EllanVannin Sun 03-Feb-19 09:46:31

Thank goodness for that !
I've just fished out of the bin a pretty sturdy box which had contained Body Shop goodies ( which I'd laid out in the bathroom ) and put all said goodies back in it, ribbon and all.

harrigran Sun 03-Feb-19 10:24:14

Do not be over zealous in getting rid of cardboard boxes, GD's new computer failed and had to be returned so original packaging was needed.
I have a cupboard dedicated to storage boxes in my kitchen, I stack them inside of each other but DH puts them back with each individual lid on, you can imagine how much room this takes.

Urmstongran Sun 03-Feb-19 10:38:29

Me too Maggiemaybe ??

grannysue05 Sun 03-Feb-19 10:49:52

Don't mention boxes!
I save everything plastic and cardboard that is clean and robust for the grandchildren.
Their various schools are always asking for clean packaging for various projects.
We are always well equiped to comply.
In fact before Christmas, one primary school asked GS if "your dear granny could provide some empty milk containers for an experiment?"
We responded with a delivery of fourteen (yes 14) bottles and GS was the star of the class that day!
However, now that New Year has arrived, DH insists we "clear out all the clutter".

AllTheLs Sun 03-Feb-19 10:50:01

I don't collect boxes but definitely have an obsession with buying gorgeous notebooks. I never write in them - my words would just spoil them. Much better to keep them in pristine condition.

But, of course, I have to buy boxes to keep my lovely notebooks in.

Amry64 Sun 03-Feb-19 10:53:46

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I was saving boxes for packing in case I moved house, but four years later it's not going to happen so they will have to go. I keep boxes which may be "useful" and do try to use them - even if it's just to store the other empty boxes - ha ha grin.

Juggernaut Sun 03-Feb-19 10:54:18

Maggiemaybe, Urmstongran
SNAP! grin

Cobweb01 Sun 03-Feb-19 10:56:50

Cardboard boxes stay for a while for the cats to play with but boxes that presents come in, pretty tins etc, I keep just in case! Some are being used but some not yet... I, too, am not a hoarder and don't keep everything and am tidy but not show house tidy. My mum always said "you never know when you may need something" lol!

razzmatazz Sun 03-Feb-19 11:03:45

I had a beautiful box which held 4 lovely mugs and did'nt want to chuck it out but had no use for it so it had to go sadly.