Gransnet forums

House and home

Kitchen re-fit - decisions!!!!

(36 Posts)
tryingtobetrendy Sun 03-Mar-19 11:44:36

Need some impartial advice please.
Refitting kitchen and am currently choosing doors!!
I am drawn to gloss finish which look clean and simple. However family are advising against gloss finish as it constantly needs cleaning.
Any advice welcome pleeese

craftyone Thu 04-Apr-19 10:35:12

I have acrylic dippedneutral cream doors and 5 years on they still look immaculate and require the most minimal of wiping. Tbh I hate those glossy doors, dd has them and they show every mark

Gonegirl Thu 04-Apr-19 10:42:10

Well I had a painted matt finish. Awful! The ones under the sink are cracking along the bottom "ledge" (Shaker style). I suppose water must drip onto them butI never realise it at the time.And I have to keep going round with a stiff brush because dirt collects along the same ridge.

Don't know what I'd choose if I have it done again. Gloss seems to be out according to posts here. Would definitely not have a style with a ledge along the bottom.

craftyone Thu 04-Apr-19 10:50:51

Mine is shaker style too and with a dark granite top and lots of pan drawers. Looks very stylish and will never date. High gloss will date, like greys and perhaps will yellow with light in time

craftyone Thu 04-Apr-19 10:53:35

oh no , me neither with a ledge. The last kitchen had painted wooden doors with a ledge. I hated them, hated the constant cleaning. The ones here now have a sheen and nothing sticks, the bottom has a nice slope not a ledge and stays very clean. I will be very sad to leave it, I hope my new kitchen does not have ledges, never thought to look that closely

jeanie99 Fri 05-Apr-19 22:59:03

What I would say is DO NOT have a high gloss worktop in the kitchen.
Our kitchen had one and it shows every scratch, terrible.
I have high gloss doors in the bathroom and shower room with chrome handles and they do look good.
You just need to wet wipe down and buff up with a dry cloth. I use an old terry tea towel and they look as good as new.
If you like the modern look which the high gloss finish gives you go for it but I would recommend a matt worktop.
High gloss in floor tiles is the same they look great when clean but you have to keep on top of the cleaning.
Gloss engineered wood is similar I wish I had bought a matt finish for the diner like I have in the hall.
You live and learn.

Willow500 Sat 06-Apr-19 06:44:21

I'm lucky enough to have 2 kitchens (2nd home) so have the best of both worlds. The one at home is cream gloss plain doors installed 2 years ago and very easy to keep clean - I washed them all down the other day with diluted fabric conditioner (tip aka Mrs Hinch smile ) so they not only look nice they smell wonderful. The other one is a cream shaker style put in last year and is equally lovely - as we're not there on a permanent basis it doesn't get a lot of wear but it is very easy to wipe down.

My worktops are gold glitter and mixed wood effect laminates - the former is wearing well although I have clear glass boards on it for the kettle and cutting. The wood effect has the same for splash backs. I love them both.

Just trawl through the kitchen showrooms and go with what you like best.

Joness777 Sat 13-Apr-19 08:11:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Chewbacca Sat 13-Apr-19 08:42:33

Reported

summermarine Mon 15-Apr-19 05:59:24

Since you have issues with scratches easily showing, why not opt for matt finish worktop. It has that understated feel but can also have the glossy effect of gloss type through color choice. Also, with regards to cleaning, the matt finish can stay cleaner longer than a gloss type.

Countrylife Mon 22-Apr-19 08:26:09

Have a thread on here about my New Kitchen and a lot of people advised if going for gloss doors, the darker the colour the more the finger marks show. Hope it turns out well.