Gransnet forums

House and home

Help, calm me. House buying and selling stress

(1001 Posts)
craftyone Thu 21-Mar-19 07:52:20

I have a bad stress headache today, never normally get headaches. I am buying a new house before selling my own, at least that was the plan. There has been a buying hold up, caused by waiting for sight of an important document. All in all 3 months has turned to 8 months. Just waiting for one document, which was `in the post` to nhbc

My buyer, february viewings, is starting to lay on the pressure. I had 25 extra and difficult questions to answer yesterday, some relating to building planning dating back to 6 years before we moved in, a new build.

The whole idea was that I would complete on my new home and move in stress-free, a bit at a time. I will definitely not move to rented. I had a string of people wanting to buy my property and will delay my buyer if needed

The stress is awful, widowed, doing it all myself and even with a good solicitor, I am churning up inside after yesterday`s questions

mosaicwarts Mon 29-Apr-19 12:48:58

Sympathise with tiny work space Craftyone, but butcher's block or tiny table? I use my kitchen table for mixing as it's lower than the worktop, I'm 5 foot 2. Hope you can make it work. Mmm ice cream maker! I must recommend the new Carte D'or tiny ice creams, Pavlova flavour. Had to eat both, of course, would have been rude not to!

I'm just coming on for a moan really as I can't say anything to anyone as it's all part of the stress of house selling, but I do like your fish on a hook analogy as that's what I feel like today.

I had a viewing booked for this pm and spent the weekend chopping up a mountain of really spiky pyracanta cuttings and going to the dump. My dog had to give up his evening beach walk as I was so slow - somehow I've pulled a muscle in my chest. Only finished late last night, and managed to sweep the area this morning.

Everything spotless, new electric wax candle with spiced orange wax melt and central heating on, cat litter box and all pet foods hidden away ... they've cancelled! At least they've rearranged, I've got to show them around Wednesday as the EA isn't available.

Off to raid the biscuit tin and eat them outside, have to be crumb free until Wednesday!

HildaW Mon 29-Apr-19 13:53:06

Oh I wore myself ragged keeping the house neat for prospective viewers. I got so stressed I would volunteer to take the dog for an extra long walk and leave DH to stay. We could have had the EA but it made the visits less flexible. In the end we went ahead with buying a new property before we had sold (see above). This meant that once Christmas was over we started packing up and sorting out as the completion date for the new house was moved forward. The daft thing was that all of a sudden we had a box strewn house that made housework difficult so warned potential viewers that it was a bit messy. Within a week we had two firm offers! They had both viewed the house in a mess and were in no way put off!

HildaW Mon 29-Apr-19 13:57:10

P.S. Think we need to start a thread helping each other out with our stress related biscuit induced spare tyres.

Franbern Tue 30-Apr-19 10:24:36

The last time I moved was 16 years ago and it was all pretty smooth, although did not feel like it at the time. On the day I moved in here I stated I would never, ever move again, only leave here in a cardboard box.
But really do need to move into a flat, and there are other reason for selling this house.
However, it does seem to have got much more complicated now than it was then. The forms from the Solicitors for me to complete for them seem to require a legal degree to do so. Cannot remember anything like that last time. Had to get one of my daughters (with legal training) to assist me in filling in the long many-paged document for the sale, and then I got an envelope with more documents for the purchase.
Having to provide birth cert. passport, utility bill to selling EA's, purchase EA's, Solicitors - it just goes on and on.
Nightmare last night as to whether my removers (when I get to that point), will be able to sort out my electric bed, which was actually built in situ.
Still continuing to try to clear out cupboards and get rid of so much. Keep telling myself - just me - I really do not need to keep so much baggage - and (assuming I do actually move into this small flat), it will be so much easier for my children when they have to clear out after I die.
Today I am tackling my food can cupboard - always had sort of siege mentality - and will not have room for more than a few tins in the new kitchen.

craftyone Tue 30-Apr-19 11:25:12

I`ll be back to read posts properly soon, I hope. Am waiting for the buyers surveyor, talk about last minute. She is the stress maker in this chain. Stress re selling is still very much on-going

craftyone Tue 30-Apr-19 11:28:49

I am up to your post Hilda and have already eyed up the eddington block that I want, need the funds from completion first. I like the ablity to move it aspect. Still waiting for surveyor and a bit nervous

Chewbacca Tue 30-Apr-19 12:20:14

Completion today! I'm going to pick up the keys in an hour. I've already sorted out appointments for an electrician; a glazing company for new French windows; decorator and IKEA to refit kitchen. A hectic few months lies ahead.

Eglantine21 Tue 30-Apr-19 12:43:19

I’m envious! Still stuck in my little rented place with money in the bank and nobody that seriously wants to sell.....

craftyone Tue 30-Apr-19 13:31:01

Eglantine, if you like a particular area then try the note through the door. Once we had to move from the lakes to s wales and we first of all went to the ed dept, then they did tell you straight facts about schools. We put a wanted ad in the local paper and got a smashing house in a village, an older couple who had only been thinking about selling

chewbacca, a happy dance for you, many congratulations. I too have been arranging appointments, storage cupboard man, shutters men, broadband. I have to say that the `have to do` things are generating their own stress ie driving licence, utilities etc

mosaicwarts Tue 30-Apr-19 13:33:40

Surveyor, Craftyone? Bit late isn't it?

Just coming in for a nosey, Wednesday night's viewing just cancelled because she has to pick up her son from the airport - odd she forgot such an important arrangement! Have told the EA to let her choose another night, hopefully a sunny one smile

mosaicwarts Tue 30-Apr-19 13:35:17

Congratulations Chewbacca, I'm green with envy smile Wishing you much happiness in your new home.

craftyone Tue 30-Apr-19 14:32:55

yes mw, that woman my so called cash buyer who told a lot of fibs. My solicitor and Ea are pulling out the stops and using pressure to try and get exchange soon. It was a mortgage valuation survey and he was nice, older and was very interested in my structs eng husband`s drawings of wall profile etc, a non-standard build house. I was also asked many questions but know this house and structure inside out.

Car is loaded again and it was hard work to get the 3 seats back in, psyching myself up to get going back to the new house but am comfy in the recliner and my shoulder is giving me gyp, I think it will be paracetamol again before bed. It is not at all pleasureable to kill time with only a folding kitchen chair and I canot think of many more jobs now that the lampshades are up. I have managed without buying any new ones and by golly I remember smarting at the total cost when coming to the present house

oh yes, remember me smarting at the indemnity premium for very beneficial electrics? I just got my money back by deciding that I would be packing my rotary airer, I found a ground tube on amazon. I am still leaving her a line. My airer is only 40 months old and was stored every winter

HildaW Tue 30-Apr-19 16:05:27

Craftyone, yes mine is an Eddington and am very happy with it. However, ordered it from John Lewis but the products actually come direct from Eddington who have a rather lackadaisical delivery system. They basically split the country into 4 areas and deliver to each area in turn but John Lewis fail to inform you quite what this means. Basically because we were not available for the first date they gave us we had to wait for the whole cycle to go around again so basically had to wait another 5 weeks. All well and good if you understand that....but it was not well explained.

craftyone Tue 30-Apr-19 18:35:14

Just saying that I have my first ever smartphone, because I needed the internet. So excuse me if I make worse mistakes than normal. Missed a few calls so far, must look up which button to press

Yes hilda, eddington is lovely. I have a small one from 20 years ago. The worse bit with a new one is the oiling but I already have catskill oil in. Harts of stur will not be beaten on price. Has to be solid because giving away my legs creuset's casseroles would be a step too far

Have found some stick up hooks and corner shelves. They will help a bit, don't want to be making holes. All this time, me dreading the backache and getting no relief from my 1 folding chair. I would have brought my Lafuma garden recliner myself and put a blanket on top to rest my weary back

1st move tomorrow but nothing for inside

Chewbacca Tue 30-Apr-19 23:13:35

Well... that was an interesting first day in my new home! Got the keys at 1 o'clock and started to move stuff in. At 6 o'clock I went to put something in the cupboard under the stairs and smelt gas.shock Called the emergency gas number and they came out within the hour and immediately condemned the gas meter. So no heating. No hot water. Gas company coming back tomorrow to replace the meter which, very fortunately, is free of charge.

Of all the problems I was expecting, that wasn't one of them. sigh

On the plus side, I've met my new neighbours and they were lovely and helpful.

craftyone Wed 01-May-19 07:30:23

Isn`t there always something chewbacca. My serious one is no paperwork or certificates. They should have been left in a pack at the house. I `m going to do some intense chasing up next week. Their solicitor and not mine. Sigh, I could do without that but I won`t lie down and give up

Waiting for the removers at 9am, always early for everything but I had to get to bed at 8.30, was falling asleep on my feet. My one daily dose of paracetamol and I slept all through apart from a loo break. 8 hours last night, at last my batteries are re-charging. No painkillers as soon as. I learnt how to answer the phone, never knew I had to swipe first, now I have a tap. One person tried to ring me 3 times, a local man for blinds. Appointments start tomorrow. I need to get the garage done tomorrow, lots of storage after today. More normal on sunday, changing the pace to slow and will be on the allotment.

Two areas of stress now, selling my house and not having any certificates for the new one

mosaicwarts Wed 01-May-19 13:56:56

Hugs to all, especially Craftyone with your bad back. Don't you like taking painkillers? If you take more consistently it has a cumulative effect of pain relief? So sorry it's sore.

Just about to put my dog in the car for my viewing (Monday's cancellation) and they've cancelled again with a very flippant email to the EA late last night. It appears they are now away for a month. I asked the EA to give them my number as I was doing the viewing, and have asked them to contact me direct for a viewing next time, if there is one. How very dare they! My new electric wax candle won't have any pong left at this rate.

Pinch and a punch for the first of the month. God help me if I'm still here May 1st 2020. xx

craftyone Fri 03-May-19 14:48:16

I am thinking of you all, still here but getting sorted, just the garage and followed mosaics sound advice re continuing the painkillers. I was always of the mind that the pain from unaccustomed exercise was telling me something but s*d it, I was going to work through the pain and become miserable, so I often it was, after the first proper meal I cooked in ages albeit on one steamer

So the garage is as done as I can hope for, even stacked all my preserves and my bike is handy for the shops, one day

My house was supposed to exchange yesterday and guess who still had to transfer the money out of a savings account? No exchange yet today and my solicitor is now on holiday for 9 days. She has a sub. Stress continues in that department and I am off to the yop

mosaicwarts Sat 04-May-19 10:21:04

Hello Craftyone, how awful to leave you dangling for so long. I almost wonder if I should bite the bullet and stay here until my end, I'm not sure I'm strong enough for all the forthcoming stress and messing about. Terrible weather here last night, windows nearly coming in with the hail. Oh for triple glazing!

Look forward to your 'sub' telling you all is well smile

Eleanor21 Sat 04-May-19 10:46:46

Yesterday was supposed to be exchange day for a deceased relative’s house that I jointly own. Our Conveyancer made a complete hash of it, she had forgotten to send us the legal documents we had to sign. She emailed them to us, not completed, wrong price, one page missing, I managed to sign, scan and return but my co owner was out for most of the day so the paperwork was only returned at the last moment to allow the exchange to take place.
I hope her final bill reflects this nonsense.

mosaicwarts Sat 04-May-19 17:46:35

Oh no, what a stinker. I need to buy a new printer with a proper scanner, fell for a 'Which' recommendation which unfortunately is useless.

I hope her final bill does reflect it. Glad the exchange has happened and you can relax a bit.

petra Sat 04-May-19 19:17:46

Like everyone here the last move was hell.
We were in our new place for some weeks/months? when I received a summons from the court for non payment of council tax. It appeared that the new owners hadn't moved in and their solicitors hadn't registered the property with the land registry office in the new owners name!!!!
I was beyond Distraught.

mosaicwarts Sat 04-May-19 20:23:09

Honestly Petra, we can't fart without someone trying to fine us or take us to court.

I am seriously wondering about spending my small nest egg on my roof and windows and staying put instead!

craftyone Sun 05-May-19 11:57:54

Mosaic, I understand what you are saying but what about all those steps in the winter ice. Have a look at what you might get from a house buying company or perhaps as a trade with a house builder

Ok here, love my new house, now my 'cash' buyer has to cash an isa to exchange. Still feeling vengeful for the bad way she is treating me and her buyer. Neighbours are now very wary. Was so busy yesterday I suddenly could not remember my new address. Today a tip run, .moving more stuff here in my car and have started digging a small veg patch and removed 4 barrows of stones so far

I will have my bed in 2 days

Chewbacca Sun 05-May-19 12:17:48

Problems with my "new" house continue to reveal thems. Electrician can't put new spot lights in the kitchen ceiling until the mess of diy wiring has been unravelled. This will mean lifting the bedroom carpet and floorboards and then replastering the ceiling so he has a flush surface to work on.
Spent the last few days stripping wallpaper off the kitchen walls and found holes in the plaster the size of dinner plates, so that will need remastering as well.
Stripped the wallpaper off the living room walls and discovered graffiti scrawled, in gloss paint, underneath.

I've decided to have the kitchen, living room and main bedroom replastered, rather than redecorate, so that I have a clean, smooth surface to simply paint in the future. But the upheaval and mess it will generate, plus drying time, is another setback that I hadn't imagined.

Messrs Bodgit and Scarper are alive and well. angry

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion