Gransnet forums

House and home

Beware of Bosch

(31 Posts)
Madmartha Thu 25-Apr-19 21:19:07

After just 10 months and under guarantee my expensive kettle, bought online from Bosch, developed a dodgy lid that repeatedly gets stuck and won’t open to let me fill with water. Spoke today to a very unhelpful Bosch employee who would only offer repair of the kettle provided I sent it to their workshop down south and waited 10-14 days for its return. If I had bought it in a local store I would have had an immediate replacement. Last time I buy Bosch products.

TerriBull Thu 25-Apr-19 21:31:03

Oh don't say that Madmartha, I've usually been lucky with Bosch, most of my larger appliances are made by them, touch wood, my washing machine is going into its 19th year, although it's probably cursed now I've mentioned it's longevity.

MawBroonsback Thu 25-Apr-19 21:32:19

To put the other side, I have had three Bosch dishwashers over the last 30or so years, none ever caused me any problems.
I think you have just been unlucky.
As it was still under guarantee I think you would have been entitled to a replacement.

annodomini Thu 25-Apr-19 22:19:32

Dishwasher, oven and vacuum cleaner, all good so far.

Under the terms of the Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982), you should be entitled to repair or replacement. You are right in thinking that it would be easier had you purchased the kettle from a retailer rather than from the manufacturer.

SueDonim Thu 25-Apr-19 22:29:33

I've been pleased with all my Bosch white goods. The current dishwasher has been in use since 2004!

Jangran99 Thu 25-Apr-19 22:39:08

My Bosch kettle is 18 months old. It also has a dodgy lid but it's the opposite problem as the lid is very hard to close!!

Moocow Thu 25-Apr-19 23:47:58

Strange! I bought a cheap supermarket kettle and it has the same problem, never had this with any I've bought cheaply before. What's even more surprising is that a friend apologised about her kettle (different make) and it has the exact same problem!

Ohmother Thu 25-Apr-19 23:57:20

We are currently negotiating the repair or return of a Bosch lawnmower that brings all the neighbours out to see the jet landing! It’s done this since purchase two years ago but my DH has only just decided to email them. ?

crystaltipps Fri 26-Apr-19 06:31:03

You could try complaining on their twitter or Facebook page. That often has good results. I’ve got a Bosch washing machine and steam generator iron, both great.

kittylester Fri 26-Apr-19 06:35:07

Bosch is my go to make as far as kitchen appliances go.

Liz46 Fri 26-Apr-19 06:49:32

Bosch kettles are rubbish. My daughter threw hers away when it was almost new and the lid on ours sticks. Our Bosch dishwasher is elderly and still going strong.

Lindylou51 Fri 26-Apr-19 07:03:34

We used to have Bosch washing machines and dishwashers always finding them very reliable. The last we had broke down completely after 18 months and wasn't repairable. We had such poor service from Bosch over this issue and numerous correspondence and will not touch them again with a barge pole!

Witzend Fri 26-Apr-19 07:18:02

Must say I'm irritated with my relatively new Bosch washing machine, since it doesn't have a 'just spin' cycle (for after hand washing woollies) - only a 'rinse and spin' which you have to faff with to turn the 'rinse' bit off.

And the first time I needed it, I miss-faffed and ended up ruining a pure wool slouchy jumper - very first wash! - which I'd knitted at a cost of over £70. Grrrr mad anger, as they used to say in the Beano.
It's something I never thought to check when I bought it.

jocork Fri 26-Apr-19 07:40:06

I had a Zanusi washing machine for over 20 years which finally died. My local supplier of white goods said that to get one of a similar quality (Zanusi are no-longer state subsidised and so are not as good as earlier ones) I should buy either Bosch or Miele. I bought a Bosch and so far, so good - currently almost 16 years old.

Grandma70s Fri 26-Apr-19 08:08:40

I’ve never had any trouble with my Bosch kettle, which I’ve had for ages.

Iam64 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:25:51

I have Bosch appliances, all great.

It seems to me your big difficulty is having bought on line, rather than from a local store. If you'd gone to the store you'd take the kettle back and it would be replaced. At least that's what happens at our local Curry's.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Apr-19 08:37:47

Well Bosch is my "go to" company for all white goods, have always found them helpful.

harrigran Fri 26-Apr-19 08:47:45

Wouldn't accept repairs, always buy in a shop so you can take it back and ask for replacement, not fit for purpose.
I once had a fridge/freezer break down at two weeks old, they told me I would have to accept a repair. I told them I would stay in the shop until they agreed a replacement and if it got to closing time then I would see them in court. I got the replacement.

Gagagran Fri 26-Apr-19 09:27:46

Another vote for Bosch appliances.

We have just replaced the dishwasher and washer which we inherited with the house with Bosch ones, based on previous experience of excellent reliability. So far so good. We also have a Bosch second fridge in the garage for drinks.

I like Miele products but they are very pricey. We do have their cat and dog vac. though and love it.

My kettle is a Kenwood and the lid on that is a bit stiff too. Must be a common design fault by the sound of it.

David1968 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:32:42

All our Bosch appliances have been brilliant, and like GrannyGravy13, they are my "go to" company for white goods. But (like Moocow) our kettle is a supermarket one (it was £10 from Sainsburys) and has lasted years!

MawBroonsback Fri 26-Apr-19 09:34:33

Online purchasing is not necessarily all bad though Harrigran . I bought a patio washer about a year ago from the well known “long river “ company. I used it a handful of times last year, but when I got it out a few weekends ago it was quite dead! No electric power coming through at all. After checking the extension lead, the socket etc I rang their customer services and was offered a replacement as it was well within the guarantee period.
It arrived the next day! No question of sending the other one back either (how?)
I am still amazed!

dragonfly46 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:35:06

Like Gaga most of my appliances are Miele but I have a Bosch tumble drier and mower and very pleased with both.

M0nica Fri 26-Apr-19 09:42:50

I had a dodgy Bosch dishwasher, but I wouldn't condemn the whole brand because of that one machine, I have had other Bosch appliances that have worked very well and for long periods.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 26-Apr-19 09:45:15

I've learned to never buy expensive stuff like kettles or irons as they don't last any longer than mid-range and aren't worth the extra money. Very cheap is a mistake too.
My own brand kettle looks a bit shabby but is holding its own, as it were. Fingers crossed!

annodomini Fri 26-Apr-19 10:35:13

The plumber who comes to service my gas boiler tells me that the British Gas brand I have is actually a top of the range Bosch boiler. So it's possible that some 'own' brands may be 'Bosch' in origin.