Gransnet forums

House and home

Duvet covers

(90 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 19-May-19 21:00:04

I know how to change the beastly thing but I hate doing it. I’m wondering whether to go back to sheets and blankets or, if I have a flat sheet under the duvet, how long can I leave the duvet cover unwashed?
My ideal would be a light quilt on top of me, without a removable cover, which I could wash every week.

Fernbergien Mon 20-May-19 12:12:50

An interesting post as I too use a top sheet. I think I change the duvet cover too often by what has been said here. So as not well at moment will start leaving longer. Thanks.

sodapop Mon 20-May-19 12:54:15

I use a flat top sheet as well so that if I get too hot I can fold the duvet back but still be covered. I find its increasingly difficult to get flat sheets now, all the colours of the rainbow for fitted sheets but not flat ones.

notgoneyet Mon 20-May-19 13:02:02

Here you go JackyB
www.google.com/search?q=youtube+putting+a+duvet+cover+on+a+rolled+up+duvet&oq=youtube+putting+a+duvet+cover+on+a+rolled+up+duvet&aqs=chrome..69i57.20503j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

Lilyflower Mon 20-May-19 13:02:38

Changing the duvet cover is one of my least favourite tasks but the look and feel of an ironed 100% white sateen stripe cotton duvet cover with matching Oxford pillow cases makes me feel like a duchess. I put up with the faff once a week to have the pleasure for the rest of the time.

Destin Mon 20-May-19 13:48:49

What in the world is this site coming to when it includes such a mindless question! Maybe I should respond by asking an equally mindless question.......how often should I change my tea towel - can I leave it for a week without changing it for a clean one if I don’t use it to dry my dishes every day because I sometimes air dry them?

HannahLoisLuke Mon 20-May-19 14:16:25

Jacky and Shysal, just watched that YouTube video. I do mine the way she did at the beginning. No problem and much quicker than all the rolling and turning corners inside out. What a faff. Even she took longer doing her "quick" method.

I change mine weekly, can't stand top sheets, all tucked in. I have to have my toes peeking out at the bottom.

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 14:22:26

Can't believe anybody has reached our age without masteringthe simple technique of putting on a duvet cover!

Destin that would make a perfectly good thread. Start one.

Theoddbird Mon 20-May-19 14:30:17

Just put a sheet between you and the duvet. I have sheet, blanket and patchwork quilt...layers are so much better

notanan2 Mon 20-May-19 15:16:55

Top sheets without the weight of blankets dont stay in place. Under a duvet they just slide about and are in a ball somewhere by morning.

Charleygirl5 Mon 20-May-19 15:45:06

sodapop have you tried Dunelm Mill- II find they have a decent selection.

Nanny41 Mon 20-May-19 18:18:35

In the country where I live they dont have double duvets thank goodness,I would never have the patience to change such a huge thing, however I change two each time I change the beds, and they are such a nuisance, the ones someone mentioned from M+S sound wonderful,must try one.

Peaseblossom Mon 20-May-19 18:34:10

I've always used a top sheet with my duvet, because I find it very difficult getting the duvet covers back on. I suppose it doesn't help that I'm only 5 foot 1! I have about 18 inches of the sheet folded over the top of the duvet to keep it clean and I have the sheet tucked in at the bottom and part of the sides and I don't find it slides around at all.

paddyann Mon 20-May-19 18:45:39

I change my bedding twice weekly ,always have .No particular reason other than its what my mother used to do.I do like nice fresh bedding though so its suits me fine

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 19:05:32

The whole point of a duvet is that it snuggly nicely round your form. It can't do that with a top sheet. hmm

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 19:05:58

paddyann start saving the planet a bit.

chrissyh Mon 20-May-19 19:08:15

For those of you who find changing a duvet difficult, hope you enjoy the following:
The most common ghosts are the ones that appear, dressed in a white sheet, with flailing arms. These are people who died whilst changing their duvet covers and are condemned to wander in bedrooms for ever, trying to find the corners.

Gonegirl Mon 20-May-19 19:10:55

You just take each of the two top corners, go inside the cover with them and aim for the two top corners of the cover. Then shake it down. It's really not difficult.

SueDonim Mon 20-May-19 19:12:19

I used to have clean bedding every day. I don't now, though.

Gonegirl I don't like to be all wrapped up in the duvet. When I stay at hotels I hate waking up feeling smothered. My dad used to sleep with his head underneath the bedding - I don't know how he even managed to breath! grin

Witzend Mon 20-May-19 19:18:50

I stopped ironing duvet covers/sheets ages ago. TBH the creases soon disappear.

I recently bought a William Morris print duvet cover for a spare room king size bed. It's the strawberry thief pattern, in dark blue. Brilliant! Because of the pattern and colour, creases never show at all!
I do usually iron the (plain) pillowcases for guests, but that's it.

Our own duvet is a superking - bed is between K and SK - and I usually get dh to help me change the cover. But since he was away last time I tried the inside-out method, and it's certainly easier, though still a bit of a hassle with a monster duvet..

annep1 Mon 20-May-19 19:25:35

I change my pillow slips much more often than the duvet cover.
Teatowel - clean one every day.

sodapop Mon 20-May-19 19:27:59

Thanks charleygirl I live in France so unfortunately Dunelm is not a possibility for me.

Destin no need to read the threads which don't interest you rather than be rude to those who are interested.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 20-May-19 19:46:30

Another blessing, like sliced bread, has to be the polycotton duvet cover.Take it off the duvet then into the washing machine, hang on the washing line or put in the tumble dryer and it can be back over the duvet by bedtime.

NotSpaghetti Mon 20-May-19 19:46:53

I too shake my duvet over the banister JackyB - it seems to work well even with a super-king sized one.

M0nica Mon 20-May-19 19:55:34

I have never had a problem changing the covers on a single duvet. All double/kingsize duvet changing is a 2 man/woman job, with DH and I working in concert.

Sara65 Mon 20-May-19 20:25:04

I personally dislike duvets, always sheets and blankets, tried it once, and felt like I was being suffocated

All the guest beds have duvets though, and I don’t really mind changing them, but no matter how long I spend fiddling about with them, they never look neat