Gransnet forums

House and home

Duvet covers

(90 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 19-May-19 21:00:04

I know how to change the beastly thing but I hate doing it. I’m wondering whether to go back to sheets and blankets or, if I have a flat sheet under the duvet, how long can I leave the duvet cover unwashed?
My ideal would be a light quilt on top of me, without a removable cover, which I could wash every week.

lilypollen Mon 20-May-19 20:34:37

I put a set on the bed. a week later wash pillowcases and bottom sheet and turn over the duvet. Sadly this is only possible since we lost our four-legged friend who was allowed on bed for morning tea.

Marmight Mon 20-May-19 20:45:25

I don't have a husband any more to hold the ends while I shoogle, so I just get on with it. Like everything else in life, you manage. It's amazing how you cope when you have to! I just lay the (King size) cover on the bed, stuff the duvet into each far corner then the near corners, grab them and shake like mad and Bob's yer Uncle. Job done. Simples. hmm

Shizam Mon 20-May-19 21:34:49

I hate changing duvet on my unnecessarily large bed! I’m now missing my single bed from childhood with sheet, blanket, eiderdown and counterpane. Get that for an old-fashioned words!

lilihu Mon 20-May-19 22:06:06

Have always used a top sheet which gets washed every 8/10 days. The duvet cover doesn’t get dirty and it’s never next to any skin so just needs a refresh whenever I think it needs one. Really can’t be faffed washing and drying duvet covers. Plus, sometimes it’s nice to pull the duvet down and just have the sheet for a light covering.

stella1949 Tue 21-May-19 03:27:50

I dislike having a top sheet as well as the duvet - I like being able to kick the duvet off my feet when they get hot. I just use a duvet cover and wash it once a week, same as the bottom sheet. I've never had a problem with changing the cover, I use the "inside out" method and find it easy.

Tweedle24 Tue 21-May-19 09:01:23

My father used a top sheet under the duvet and I now do the same. I just wish we could still get the fitted top sheets. Since the advent of duvets. They seem to have disappeared from the shops. I really struggle to lift the very heavy mattress to tuck the flat sheet underneath.

sodapop Tue 21-May-19 13:20:32

Yes Shizam I remember the eiderdown and counterpane. I also loved the feather mattress that enveloped you and made it so hard to get out of bed on cold mornings.

M0nica Tue 21-May-19 15:32:45

I have tried having a sheet under the duvet, but I am a restless sleeper and keep waking in the night with the sheet and duvet all tangled together and wrapped round me like a shroud.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 21-May-19 16:19:27

When I was a child we slept with top sheets and a duvet in a cover. The sheets and pillowslips were washed every week the duvet cover once a month, unless we had been ill.

moggie57 Wed 22-May-19 12:17:54

wash each week...dust mites get in everything....

NotSpaghetti Wed 22-May-19 14:08:53

I hate the sheet-under-duvet solution with a passion!
Like M0nica it tangles me up as I like to have my feet out!

Shizam - I suggest you do what my mother-in-law did a few months after my father-in-law died - she was sick of the massive empty bed speaking so obviously of her loss and bringing with it all the problems of huge duvets etc.
She bought a new single bed for herself, new bed linen and duvet. She said that although she felt a bit odd about it, it was “sensible”. Now she loves it. It has certainly made SO much more space in her bedroom.

boat Thu 23-May-19 21:42:14

My MiL had problems putting a duvet cover on so she picked open the top and one side seam and replaced them with press studs. It worked very well. I've been wondering if I could do something similar but use very long zips instead

Mebster Thu 23-May-19 21:57:21

I recently stayed at a guest house that had two top sheets with the duvet in the middle. It protected the duvet but with the comfort of a cover. It looked and felt wonderful.

DanniRae Thu 23-May-19 22:13:43

I do the same as lilypollen - change bottom sheet and pillowcases every week and turn over the duvet for the 2nd week. I hate changing the duvet so I do the easy job of bottom sheet and pillowcases and my husband puts on the clean duvet cover.

FarNorth Fri 24-May-19 01:37:27

That roll-up method of putting the cover on looks great. I'll be trying it out for the guest bed.
(I have a single bed for myself and love it.)

DanniRae Fri 24-May-19 07:30:27

I have tried a few times to do the roll-up method to put my king size duvet cover on - the rolling up bit is fine but it's the fiddly bit after the rolling up that I find difficult, if you see what I mean?
Any advice to make this bit easier will be gratefully received!

SparklyGrandma Mon 27-May-19 00:54:04

I use a single duvet on my double bed. So much easier to put a single quilt cover on. And cheaper to buy.

If it’s really cold, I have a second single duvet, cover on it, for very cold weather.

Also, with back pain, a single duvet is easier to move about when you are asleep.

The only double thing I buy is the double fitted sheet.

shysal Mon 27-May-19 10:01:13

Those of you who are saying how easy it is to change a duvet cover just wait until arthritis or injury limits the use of your shoulders, making extension of the arms impossible! You might not find it so easy then!grin

Ailsa43 Mon 27-May-19 10:29:56

The Fine bedding company are selling cover free Duvets too, and cheaper than M&..S I'd like to see more colours and patterns, before I buy one to match my rooms, but these ones all have good reviews

www.finebedding.co.uk/products/night-owl

Gonegirl Mon 27-May-19 10:32:20

I'm not at all sure about this idea of turning the duvet over halfway through. Aren't you just exposing the slept in part to your room, whilst putting the slightly dusty side in the bed next to you?

Slightly yuk comes to mind.

Gonegirl Mon 27-May-19 10:36:21

I like the idea of the no-cover duvets there, where you just wash the whole thing. Might get some of those for visiting youngsters.

FarNorth Mon 27-May-19 11:29:29

confused I always 'expose the slept in part to my room' every day, to air the bedding rather than keep all the sweaty bits damply lurking there waiting for me.

I also open the door and the window.

Gonegirl Mon 27-May-19 11:58:50

So do I. confused Who wouldn't do that?

lilypollen Mon 27-May-19 15:30:27

Me too.

FarNorth Mon 27-May-19 16:07:49

So what's the problem with turning it over, Gonegirl?