Gransnet forums

House and home

Lightweight vacuum. What should I buy?

(30 Posts)
HettyMaud Tue 15-Oct-19 16:49:22

"Henry" is too heavy for me now. Can anyone recommend a lightweight vacuum please? Only have carpets in bedrooms but normally vacuum the hardwood flooring which is everywhere else. Don't want to spend more than £200 ideally or am I being unrealistic?

silverlining48 Tue 15-Oct-19 17:04:18

We bought a dyson which goes from carpet to hard floor with ease. It’s much lighter than our previous cleaner.

dogsmother Tue 15-Oct-19 17:05:46

Shark.
They are hugely effective and very lightweight.

Franbern Tue 15-Oct-19 17:07:18

For last Xmas, my kids bought the GTech for more. Two vaccums in the package. Both cordless - An upright and a hand held one.
They are abolutely brilliant. Do everything I have been searching for in vaccuum cleaners for donkey years. Very light weight, but excellent, strong suckage. Easy to empty - no bags, quick and easy to charge.
The hand held one is wonderful, do stairs, do the car, etc.
Would thoroughly recommend

Lisagran Tue 15-Oct-19 17:08:48

I have a GTech cordless bagged and it works well for me - laminate flooring in the kitchen, hardwood elsewhere, carpet upstairs, rugs, etc - all good. Very lightweight. It was about £190 I think.

M0nica Tue 15-Oct-19 17:59:39

I have a small light Bosch and I am very pleased with it.

Liz46 Tue 15-Oct-19 18:01:45

Another vote fro GTech here. We have the normal one and the little one for the stairs and car.

kittylester Tue 15-Oct-19 18:09:40

Another vote for Shark here!

Septimia Tue 15-Oct-19 18:26:33

I have the pair of GTech vacuums. They replaced one I'd had for a few years - I just wanted the newer one because it sucks harder and we get a lot of gravel walked into the house.

The old one was, in all other respects, perfectly adequate.

A friend, older and with back problems, bought a GTech and was delighted at how light and easy it is to use.

midgey Tue 15-Oct-19 18:35:39

My daughter just gave an early Christmas present of the Lidl cordless. It’s not as ferocious as a Dyson but does the job very well, I think it was less than £100.

toscalily Tue 15-Oct-19 19:34:18

If you want lightweight I would recommend the GTech. We have both the upright & hand held.

annep1 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:59:52

My Bosch Athlete has worked well for years. I lifted all the cordless vacs in Currys. This was the lightest.

annep1 Tue 15-Oct-19 21:00:29

Athlet!

SueSocks Tue 15-Oct-19 21:46:13

I have a Shark which I really like. Had a Dyson before - also good. The Shark has the advantage of 2 batteries, the one in the machine and a spare so you never run out of power, the Dyson did sometimes run out before I had finished. Shark battery chargers just plug into a power socket. It folds over for storage. BBC Watchdog did a consumer test on lightweight vacuums a couple of weeks ago, probably still available on Catch-Up.

Patsy70 Tue 15-Oct-19 22:01:52

Very happy with my small Dyson. It's light enough to carry upstairs and very efficient.

KatyK Wed 16-Oct-19 09:41:04

We have a Gtech and it's fantastic. We had a big heavy Dyson before and I can't believe the difference.

Nonnie Wed 16-Oct-19 10:13:00

Just seen that Sainsburys are about to offer Dysons from £50. Think it starts tomorrow. Pretty sure the one you want will be more than that but worth looking at if you want a Dyson

Luckygirl Wed 16-Oct-19 10:15:34

I have a dyson - sucks well but the plastic parts are brittle and break easily. It has been back to Dyson twice for repair.

shysal Wed 16-Oct-19 11:21:15

If you go to the Competition page you could win a new lightweight Gtech. I have entered this morning. I have an original Gtech Air ram and a handheld which are great.

FlexibleFriend Wed 16-Oct-19 11:52:50

The newer hand held Dysons are not light by any stretch.

GillT57 Wed 16-Oct-19 12:00:32

Buy anything but a Dyson. I have a 3 year old stick cordless one. Fortunately, it is not my main one. It spends more time being taken apart to remove stuff than it does cleaning the floors. Anything other than a bit of dust stops it working, I have so far had to buy a new battery, which was expensive, and a new brush head. It is very poor quality, and I would never buy another. Oh, and it spits stuff out after cleaning; some ground coffee was spilled on the kitchen floor ( wood), cleaned up by the Dyson which was then carried back to its docking/charging station in the utility room, as it was put back on its hanging point it discharged all the coffee onto the utility room floor. Complete and utter waste of money.

VikiMorris Wed 16-Oct-19 14:29:30

Maybe a robot vacuum cleaner suits you? This is definitely an easy thing)) I will say right away I didn't use it personally. I have a small apartment. You can read the Roomba 652 reviews. This is now popular so you can see an interesting model in the price range of up to 200.

HettyMaud Sun 20-Oct-19 20:32:17

Thanks so much, everyone. I'm now going to look into those suggested. Brilliant. Can always rely on GN for great advice.

paintingthetownred Sun 20-Oct-19 20:36:03

Dyson. No contest.
Sure mine has been back for repair in five years, but repair service brilliant I find and always avaialbe if you want to chat on the phone. I don't have shares in the company honest, it is just brilliant.
painting

paintingthetownred Sun 20-Oct-19 20:37:54

Don't understand the criticism of the Dyson. Stick one I have and is particularly good for people with back issues. Can be used with different hands and with a good posture.

As long as you get used to emptying the bin thing in the bin bag, no spills and it is brilliant.
ptg