Gransnet forums

House and home

Chair Back Covers/Antimicassars /Chair Arm Covers.

(30 Posts)
Calendargirl Wed 30-Oct-19 14:58:39

Can anyone suggest where to buy the above? Would like some for sofa and two armchairs in a cream/beige colour. Have looked online but would really like to buy at a shop where I can see them properly before buying. We have no John Lewis anywhere near us, plus couldn’t see any on their website anyhow.
I know it sounds terribly old fashioned to use these, but I do!

LadyGracie Wed 30-Oct-19 15:17:31

Shaws the drapers sell them.

Ilovecheese Wed 30-Oct-19 15:34:43

Buy your own fabric and ask a dressmaker to make them up?

Calendargirl Wed 30-Oct-19 18:09:49

Thanks Ladygracie and Ilovecheese for your suggestions.
Think I will put up with my ‘shabby’ ones until we decorate the lounge, then review!

Gonegirl Wed 30-Oct-19 19:49:33

Are you absolutely sure you wouldn't rather venture into the modern world be a little adventurous and find some interesting throws?

callgirl1 Wed 30-Oct-19 21:58:30

The trouble with throws is that they fall off the back of the seat when sat on.

Calendargirl Wed 30-Oct-19 22:10:50

I don’t want throws Gonegirl if you mean covering the chair. Just over the arms and at the back where your head rests, like Granny used to have.
??

lemongrove Wed 30-Oct-19 22:11:15

Can you crochet Calendar? Or know somebody who can?
Failing that, buy online, bound to be some somewhere.
If you really must see them first ring around dept stores?
What about Dunelm?

Calendargirl Wed 30-Oct-19 22:20:00

Can I crochet lemongrove? You must be joking, I am ashamed to say I struggle to sew a button on!
Also not quite what I am thinking of, a bit too old ladyish, more cotton/linen with a bit of lace on the end is what I have at the minute.

Thanks for all input, will look again online.

merlotgran Wed 30-Oct-19 22:23:02

Why not buy a small throw, fold it and drape it over the back of an armchair which gives a nice casual look? You can also get spandex arm covers from Amazon which don't look fussy and old fashioned.

Grannmarie Wed 30-Oct-19 23:43:33

Hi, Calendargirl, I think I have seen what you are looking win House of Bath catalogues, they have an online service too.

Grannmarie Wed 30-Oct-19 23:45:12

For, not win?? Should've gone to Specsavers?

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Nov-19 14:46:49

I hope you set a trend, Calendargirl. I was just saying to DH that if we'd had some of those old arm covers on our two cream sofas they wouldn't both be looking so shabby now!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 02-Nov-19 14:50:14

You can sometimes find these items on market stalls, I believe, you know - the ones that sell tablecloths, aprons and net curtains. Happy hunting.

Calendargirl Sat 02-Nov-19 14:54:50

I don’t think I will be a trendsetter Maggiemaybe. My DS is very scathing about my old fashioned tatty arm covers, though it is partly because of the DGC when small that I had them in the first place.

Thanks for all suggestions. Have looked all up online, some not right colour. I also intend to check out a local indoor market when I next go as there is a haberdashery/drapery stall that might stock them. Am sure it is somewhere like that I bought my original ones.

Calendargirl Sat 02-Nov-19 14:55:59

lbc1955

Our posts clashed, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Nov-19 14:58:53

Oh, you never know, Calendargirl. smile It's amazing what hipsters will pick up on and pay a small fortune for. We've some in our family. They drove down to Bournemouth to collect a secondhand sofa, so they might consider protecting its arms. I think I'll have a quiet word in their ears.

midgey Sat 02-Nov-19 15:07:08

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-5-Cream-Beige-Cutwork-Chair-Backs-Covers-Protectors-Seat-Antimacassar-007/372680882173?hash=item56c582f7fd:g:GxQAAOSwq9Fc8ERm
Is this what you were looking for?

LondonGranny Sat 02-Nov-19 15:12:16

I got some lovely vintage sofa arm covers (really good quality thick linen) from ebay. Best source in my experience. I think I paid a fiver including postage.
I don't use them but I've seen good antimacassars too (do any men still use Macassar oil on their hair?)

felice Sat 02-Nov-19 15:20:06

I have just bought a new sofa from IKEA and it has removable washable arm covers. On an antique armchair I use a fine wool shawl in matching colours over the back, and on the arms I use dark blue cotton napkins. They just sit on the arms and look quite unobtrusive.

Calendargirl Mon 18-Oct-21 09:18:12

Just an update on my old thread.

We decorated the sitting room, and a couple of weeks ago I searched online and Ambrose Wilson came up with just what I was looking for. Bit the bullet and ordered them.

Really pleased, good quality thick cotton with lace trim, and a nice rich cream colour, blends in well with sofa and chairs.
And in the sale.

I’m sure they have never come up when I’ve searched before.

PinkCosmos Mon 18-Oct-21 09:40:23

Could you buy some suitable material and get someone to sew them for you, using the old covers as a pattern.

Some of the ones online are made from stretchy one size fit all material and aren't very nice.

PinkCosmos Mon 18-Oct-21 09:41:24

Sorry didn't realise this was an old thread confused

Calendargirl Mon 18-Oct-21 10:41:57

That’s ok PinkCosmos, as has often been mentioned before, it would be really helpful if OP’s posts were in a different colour, then it’s easier to spot an update.

JackyB Mon 18-Oct-21 11:51:32

I was admiring your tenacity - looked for 2 years ago and finally tracked down and bought!