Gransnet forums

House and home

Bathroom floor, please help!

(75 Posts)
phoenix Mon 30-Dec-19 12:54:51

Hello all, and good wishes.

The bathroom revamp has been done, and we are really pleased with it!

The pearlescent ice blue tiles have gone, replaced by Travertine (sort of sandy, camel coloured panels) almost black wood effect vanity unit and bath panel.

The ceiling and the parts of the walls that are not panelled are plain white.

We need to choose the flooring.

So far we have narrowed it down to either a honey coloured narrow plank wood effect, or black and white tile effect.

Would value your opinions!

(Will try to upload photos and screen shots!)

phoenix Mon 30-Dec-19 13:00:25

Crikey! I did it! tchgrin

tanith Mon 30-Dec-19 13:13:26

?? well done. I prefer the black and white, I have similar colour tiles and a black flecked floor that looks good.

phoenix Mon 30-Dec-19 13:18:50

Thank you tanith I'm leaning towards that one too, as I feel that with the wood one there may be too much of the sand/camel/honey colour in the room.

Need I say which one Mr P prefers???

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 30-Dec-19 13:23:12

We all have different taste - I'd prefer the honey coloured tiles as I think they're easier on the eye but it's your choice.

Charleygirl5 Mon 30-Dec-19 13:26:11

phoenix if you have the wooden one laid and there is a serious leak you may find you will be replacing it.

My personal preference is the black and white- it is a good contrast.

phoenix Mon 30-Dec-19 13:30:27

lbc the honey coloured flooring is wood effect. I am a bit worried that with the sandy marble effect panelling, and the nearly black wood effect furniture, it might be too much of the same shades, but even before the room was finished, I had always imagined it with that wood effect flooring!

It's only know that's it's actually done that I'm getting all confused

Esspee Mon 30-Dec-19 13:30:43

Black and white chequer board wins my vote.

phoenix Mon 30-Dec-19 13:33:56

Charleygirl it's actually vinyl, so both are made of the same thing! I wouldn't (and couldn't afford) to put wood, even laminate in the bathroom, especially with Mr P.

He refers to having a wash as having a "splosh" and he certainly does! tchgrin

phoenix Mon 30-Dec-19 13:36:45

Thanks Esspee we did look at a "proper" chequerboard, i.e. equal size squares in black and white, but thought it might make the room look smaller, so are considering the one up there ^^ as a good compromise, just enough black to sort of bring it all together.

dragonfly46 Mon 30-Dec-19 13:37:55

Sorry I like both so also would not be able to decide.

SueDonim Mon 30-Dec-19 13:38:08

I’d go for something plain as you’ve quite a lot of colour and pattern already. I always go towards light so I’d probably choose white matt tiles.

It’s lovely having a new bathroom, isn’t it? Our en-suite was done three years ago and I still love it when I go in there. smile

SueDonim Mon 30-Dec-19 13:39:53

Oh, I see you say you want a vinyl. There are some nice plain but textured ones around.

Charleygirl5 Mon 30-Dec-19 13:40:30

I still prefer black and white and it will be easier to clean if it is vinyl. Would it not appear to be too dark with the other?

JackyB Mon 30-Dec-19 13:43:37

I think the black and white look rather cold. The unit you have fitted is fabulous - like out of a catalogue. (a posh one).

The floor should have the same upmarket flair. Maybe wood, but not the one you have looked at.

Sorry for putting the cat among the pigeons and saying neither! I think I'm saying it needs something more sumptuous (not necessarily more expensive though - there are loads of lovely vinyl designs.)

phoenix Mon 30-Dec-19 13:48:26

SueDonim it pleased me every time I go in there! Worth all the upheaval tchsmile
The one before was a slate effect, textured and was a bigger to clean!

Dragonfly that's the problem, currently so do I. blush

Charleygirl do you mean that the wood effect might be too dark with the other things, i.e. the panelling and the furniture?

The unpanelled walls are plain white, the towels are some black and some sand.

phoenix Mon 30-Dec-19 13:48:58

PLEASES, not pleased!

phoenix Mon 30-Dec-19 13:52:17

Thank you JackyB! It was actually a lot cheaper than some we looked at. A lot of research was done before decisions were made.

I think the fact that there are so many designs available makes it harder, hence trying to narrow it down.

TwiceAsNice Mon 30-Dec-19 14:25:12

Black and white looks lovely. Don’t think I would have wood finish in a bathroom

phoenix Mon 30-Dec-19 14:34:21

This photo might show the sort of wood effect of the furniture, although then again......

Doodle Mon 30-Dec-19 14:53:21

I’d like the wood effect. I find black and white cold. But we are all different.
On another subject. phoenix how do you get pictures to appear on GN? I’ve often wondered

mumofmadboys Mon 30-Dec-19 15:03:16

I prefer the wood effect too.

Scribbles Mon 30-Dec-19 15:11:50

Hard to decide but, overall, the black & white wins for me.

Starblaze Mon 30-Dec-19 15:12:01

I think the wood effect would look heap compared to the rest whereas the tile effect would look better... I don't love either though sorry

Starblaze Mon 30-Dec-19 15:12:17

Cheap even