Gransnet forums

House and home

Where is your kitchen situated?

(121 Posts)
annsixty Wed 05-Feb-20 16:01:14

I have been looking at my house with jaundiced eyes this morning having no energy to do much else.
My friends are downsizing, hugely, and say it is giving them a new lease of life.
This is not possible for me but I am tired of this one.

In our last home the kitchen was at the front of the house with an archway to the dining room.
I didn't have time then to "stand and stare" but now I do and I would love it.

Any of you have one and do you like it?

Septimia Wed 05-Feb-20 16:03:47

Our kitchen is upstairs (living room and one bedroom up, other bedrooms down) on the road side of the house. Great views of the countryside and what's going on outside! I can spend ages standing and staring grin.

gillybob Wed 05-Feb-20 16:05:02

My (tiny) kitchen is at the back of the house and it overlooks the garden, which is a bit of a mess right now (the garden not the kitchen) . Wouldn’t really want mine at the front as I live in a terraced house and it just overlooks the Main Street .

Humbertbear Wed 05-Feb-20 16:08:23

My kitchen is the back of the house overlooking the garden but when I’m cooking I’m looking out the side window onto a high fence and next door’s side wall. We are on a busy road so wouldn’t want to be looking out that way.

annsixty Wed 05-Feb-20 16:09:06

But wouldn't you like seeing the comings and goings Gilly
Otherwise known as being nosy?
I can go days without seeing anyone, apart from family coming in in the evening.

JuliaM Wed 05-Feb-20 16:10:41

My Daughter has got one, but im unsure about welcoming visitors directly into the kitchen!
I would forever be trying to keep it clean and tidy, and rather embarrased if someone called just after a meal when the dirty dishes were piled up waiting to be washed and the cooker looked like there had been an explosion!

merlotgran Wed 05-Feb-20 16:11:16

Having downsized, we're open plan, apart from the bedrooms and shower room. Our kitchen leads out into the wrap around garden and is dual aspect so I spend a lot of time gazing out of the window over the sink and deciding what needs doing.

The other side of the bungalow has a lovely view across fields.

annsixty Wed 05-Feb-20 16:12:26

I can see my back garden but at this time of year it looks so dull and frankly is neglected, my S said he would look after it when my H couldn't but he has conveniently overlooked that promise.

Nannylovesshopping Wed 05-Feb-20 16:12:30

I have a galley kitchen, not particularly smart nor modern, but I love it because it has french doors at the end leading directly to my garden, my herbs grow in an old Belfast sink outside the doors, which smell divine in the sunshine, two steps away is an old bench, inherited from my dad, perfect for g&ts as weather improves.
annsixty is there anyway a clever builder could incorporate an arch into your present kitchen?

annsixty Wed 05-Feb-20 16:15:09

My hall and front door were on the side so no entrance directly into the kitchen.
I so wish we had moved before my H got ill.?

gillybob Wed 05-Feb-20 16:15:35

Not really many coming and goings on my street annsixty DH and I are the oldies of the street and most of our neighbours are out at work during the day anyway .

My dad lives at the top of a small cul-de-sac and is the worst curtain twitcher ( despite him ticking mum off for it when she was alive) . He never misses a trick and is forever telling me “the tales of The Close”

tanith Wed 05-Feb-20 16:16:33

My kitchen is at the back and overlooks the garden and has french doors on to a patio area. I love watching the comings and goings of the birds from the table.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 05-Feb-20 16:18:15

This is my second house with a kitchen at the front. Front door goes into a hall and stairs. I wasn't sure about not seeing the garden from the window at first but have got used to it. I can see comings and goings can be a good thing.

From my last kitchen (bungalow) I could see birds flying in and out from the pyracantha which was a lovely sight. All our other houses had a view of the garden. They have their pros and cons.

kittylester Wed 05-Feb-20 16:20:26

My kitchen is at the back and all my appliances and sink etc face the internal walls. But, I have a large window overlooking the garden- this has a window seat.

MissAdventure Wed 05-Feb-20 16:20:55

My kitchen overlooks two great big bins, (the window is literally a few feet away) and between my between my window and the bins is the path to our block of flats.

I have frosted window film on the bottom half of of the window.

SueDonim Wed 05-Feb-20 16:21:15

My kitchen is at the front of the house but I have three windows, plus two more in the utility room. The sink only overlooks a hedge, so not very exciting. The other windows look onto an area of open grass and trees. I see a few cars from our (dead end) street and people walking dogs. Occasionally some neighbourhood cats make an appearance.

TerriBull Wed 05-Feb-20 16:30:10

Our kitchen is on the ground floor of our 3 storey house situated at the back. Yes I like where it is because it looks down communal gardens to moorings on the banks of the Thames and beyond on the other side of the river is a rowing club and a pub. We can see more of the river in the winter as it is not obscured by a magnificent Horse Chestnut tree just beyond our back fence, pretty bare at the moment. I love it in all its seasons even when it does block out views of the river. In summer it attracts the very noisy, non indigenous, vivid green parakeets who are pretty prolific in the south east. I'm glad the kitchen isn't on the front of the house as it would merely look across the road to identical houses.

annsixty Wed 05-Feb-20 16:34:07

Nannylovesshopping
That would be my ideal.
The room in front of the kitchen is a now, seldom used dining room, so I could have what I had before only from from the front of the house to the back, instead of across the front of the house.
Now if I could win the lottery to provide the cash and pay for me to stay in a hotel while the work is done .
One problem, I don't do the lottery.

annsixty Wed 05-Feb-20 16:36:11

Terribull that sounds delightful.

Smileless2012 Wed 05-Feb-20 16:36:23

Our kitchen diner is at the rear, on the first floor of our town house with patio doors that open onto our decked terrace with a view over the roof tops of the sea.

gillybob Wed 05-Feb-20 16:39:08

Oh I do the lottery annsixty ! Always hoping that a win would mean I could give up work and DH could have his operation fine privately .

If I win I’ll send you the money to do the work and pay for you to stay in a hotel while they do it too ! smile

My ideal would be a bigger kitchen where we could eat, with double doors opening onto a sunny terrace . smile

KatyK Wed 05-Feb-20 16:39:39

Our kitchen is at the back of the house. It's very small but nicely fitted out. It overlooks the garden and a little bridge over the canal.

gillybob Wed 05-Feb-20 16:39:52

Done not fine !

MissAdventure Wed 05-Feb-20 16:40:26

Oh, I'm quite envious now, hearing about lovely French doors and views.
Comparison is the thief of joy (I think that's the saying)

KatyK Wed 05-Feb-20 16:49:13

Well I'm in a suburb of Birmingham MissA but we just happen to have a canal at the back!