Gransnet forums

House and home

Good Housekeeping/Bad Housekeeping!

(116 Posts)
phoenix Tue 14-Apr-20 16:17:01

Hello all, usual good wishes!

Sort of following on from the "Are you doing more housework" thread!

Here are my current efforts:

Good Housekeeping: Actually ironed the pillowcases on the new Egyptian cotton bedlinen!smile

Bad Housekeeping: Only the ones that go on the top, and only on one side blush

Good Housekeeping: Dusted the shades on the standard lamps in the sitting room smile

Bad Housekeeping: Not all the way round, left the bits closest to the walls blush

Anyone else?

Gemini17892 Tue 14-Apr-20 16:27:43

What does ‘ ironed’ mean ? Is this it ?
I was thinking of the Iron Man competition.

AGAA4 Tue 14-Apr-20 16:36:00

Only see the top side of pillowcases so no point ironing the lot.
Doing as little as I can get away with but do clean bathroom and kitchen for health reasons.

Framilode Tue 14-Apr-20 16:43:17

Now I have all the time in the world I have become very lazy. I think it's because no one might turn up unexpectedly.

BlueBelle Tue 14-Apr-20 16:48:09

Cant remember the last time I ironed having said that I don’t have a husband whose shirts would need ironing so no need

luluaugust Tue 14-Apr-20 17:00:51

The ironing has been looking at me for three days so far...........

Daisymae Tue 14-Apr-20 17:36:32

I don't iron bed linen. I did once and got into a muddle and that was enough for me!

MissAdventure Tue 14-Apr-20 17:38:19

Oh yes, you don't want to risk that happening again. smile

Cabbie21 Tue 14-Apr-20 17:47:47

Three days, luluaugust? Mine usually sits for three weeks. A couple of items get added every wash. Mostly cotton jumpers, but I do iron pillow cases

kittylester Tue 14-Apr-20 17:49:04

I've put the Hoover and the duster thingy on the landing - is that enough?

kittylester Tue 14-Apr-20 17:50:07

In fact..... I asked dh to do it - no point overdoing it!

Buffybee Tue 14-Apr-20 18:00:37

Speaking of ironing!
When Dd was about 3, she was watching me fold washing from the dryer and putting things to iron, in a cupboard.
She peeped in and asked what was in there and I told her, it was where I hid the ironing.
A few da

Buffybee Tue 14-Apr-20 18:03:32

Sorry posted too soon!
A few days later, my husband asked, what was all this about hiding ironing.
Apparently, she'd took him by the hand and told him she had a secret, pointed at the cupboard and told him, that's where mummy hides her ironing..????

Hetty58 Tue 14-Apr-20 18:07:25

Ironing the 'top side' wouldn't work for me as I'm always turning the pillow over to the cool side. I change pillowcases every other day - so no point in ironing them.

phoenix Tue 14-Apr-20 18:33:07

Every other day shock

mrswoo Tue 14-Apr-20 18:41:44

My ironing pile is like an archeological dig - if I ever get to the bottom of the pile I will probably find my son’s school shirts. He’ll be 38 this year.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Apr-20 19:42:06

grin

CanadianGran Tue 14-Apr-20 19:55:26

There's not much that I iron. The occasional dressy item, or hubby's dress shirts.

I do remember that my mother ironed everything, including underwear. We sometimes helped, but I think she preferred doing it herself (also to her standards(.

GagaJo Tue 14-Apr-20 20:12:26

I never iron. I used to have the occasional piece of clothing that needed it, but those have long since fallen apart and been chucked away.

My GS does have a few linen pieces that could do with ironing. But given that as soon as he's in them, they're rumpled and hanging, there's no point!

Chewbacca Tue 14-Apr-20 20:17:00

I used to iron everything, sheets, pillowcases, duvet covers, everything that was washed. I moved to this house in June 2019. The iron and ironing board are still in the shed waiting to be unpacked never gonna happen. Has anyone noticed that nothing is ironed anymore? Nope!

downtoearth Tue 14-Apr-20 20:18:33

I Iron as I need it...not very often..
Fold and smooth where needed..
Bedding ,never.
Only thing crumpled and creased is megrin

rockgran Tue 14-Apr-20 20:23:27

I love ironing. Just saying!

Ninarosa Tue 14-Apr-20 20:33:28

' What a sucker '

I bought a Hoover some years ago
- a machine that's considered a ' must '
but I've thrown it away because , you know,
It was only gathering dust !

trisher Tue 14-Apr-20 20:54:01

Never iron unless I have to . I have to more in summer because of cotton and linen. My mum loved ironing and used o do mine. My eldest DS took over ironing his shirts when he was about 14. He does them better than I ever did. I think it skipped a generation!
I'm still trying to figure out the Bad housekeeping in the OP. All looks good to me. Could what my gran taught me-stuff the newspapers and magazines under the settee cushions when visitors arrive -count?

jeanie99 Tue 28-Apr-20 02:58:58

You actually iron bedding!!