Gransnet forums

House and home

Best cotton sheets to buy? Help!

(66 Posts)
Chrisks Wed 29-Jul-20 09:23:42

I’m wanting new sheets and duvet cover. Any advice on the best ones out there? I don’t ever iron sheets so don’t want to end up buying ones that crease. I’m fancying Egyptian cotton as they are cooler but which ones? There is often far too much choice these days!
Many thanks in advance.

eazybee Wed 29-Jul-20 09:38:45

White Company, cotton or linen, with a high thread count, but they perform best when ironed. If you have non-iron then they will have some synthetic yarn which takes away the coolness, in my opinion.

Querty Wed 29-Jul-20 09:46:42

Tkmax is where I get mine. They often have very good quality bedding.
I have cotton, always iron them.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 29-Jul-20 09:48:39

Another vote here for White Company - they have a good sale on at the moment ??

geekesse Wed 29-Jul-20 09:49:37

I have M&S High thread count cotton sheets, and they are lovely. But like all pure cotton sheets, they are creased after washing unless you iron them. I hate ironing, so I bite the bullet and get them laundered commercially. If you want non-iron, pure cotton or linen won’t work.

Pantglas2 Wed 29-Jul-20 10:03:00

One tip which might get away with ironing is to wash on a really dry but windy day and remove them from the machine immediately the cycle is done. Peg them out taut, pulling them straight etc. and let Mother Nature do her best.

Careful folding when dry then eliminates most of the creasing I’ve found with even 1200 thread.

Teetime Wed 29-Jul-20 10:04:27

I quite like John Lewis own or Dorma at Dunelm.

Callistemon Wed 29-Jul-20 10:34:11

Jasper Conran 500 thread count bedding feels lovely and silky.

It does need some ironing though.

paddyanne Wed 29-Jul-20 10:40:29

I have Kelly Hoppen 1000 thread count ,they are lovely and seem to get softer with every wash .I dont iron the sheet but I do steam iron the duvert cover once its on the bed,it has an embossed panel down the centre that I think looks better ironed .

maddyone Wed 29-Jul-20 10:47:57

I’ve got Christy sateen 400 thread count and Belledorm sateen 600 thread count. They’re both are lovely and cool. I don’t iron sheets, only pillow cases. I line dry them, pulled taut, and fold immediately when brought in. I’m not worried if the fitted sheets look a bit crumpled, but the top sheets never look crumpled after careful folding. I get my husband to iron our duvet covers as in find them too big to iron.

PetitFromage Wed 29-Jul-20 11:00:15

M & S do non-iron 230 thread count Egyptian cotton bedding.

maddyone Wed 29-Jul-20 11:04:22

I’ve got some M+S as well, but it’s tencel. It’s beautifully cool.

Squiffy Wed 29-Jul-20 11:05:46

Ours came from King of Cotton. Various choices of thread count and colour. Very pleased with them so far!

jeanie99 Thu 30-Jul-20 00:18:21

The last sheets I bought were from M&S, have to say they are fab but not inexpensive.
There is nothing better than getting into bed with lovely clean sheets on.

craftyone Thu 30-Jul-20 08:04:41

I am currently sleeping in john lewis temperature regulating 400 count bedding. It is lovely smooth bedding and easy care. I have had the full sets of 800 count egyptian cotton bedding in the past but they take a tremendous amount of work, they were pure white and over time became yellowish, stiffer and harder to iron. However those sheets were nice for quite a while, from king of cotton.

Angeleyes58xx Thu 30-Jul-20 10:01:02

Chrisks, I have bought the best duvet covers ever they don’t need ironing, but still look pristine on the bed, They are called cosy homes, and you get them from qvc, you will never go back to cotton sheets again once you have tried theses. You have to wash on a 30 degree wash and line dry them, then you have beautiful bed linen.

polnan Thu 30-Jul-20 10:02:11

oh I have some cotton sheets, don`t use them,, need ironing.

I want non iron, soft feel sheets please

Shandy3 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:05:23

Many different thred counts out there. However even the companies that do 1000+ suggest the best, the softest, is 400-600 thred count. The main supermarkets do these now, and much cheaper than the ones I originally bought!

Callistemon Thu 30-Jul-20 10:06:12

My sheets and the one duvet cover by Jasper Conran are very smooth, silky and soft.
I wish I'd bought more when they were in the sale.

However, I agree, some Egyptian cotton sheets are not good. I bought others (can't remember where from) which were a high thread count and they never softened up and needed too much ironing. DH uses them as dust sheets.

Jillybird Thu 30-Jul-20 10:06:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

polnan Thu 30-Jul-20 10:07:34

oh dear! been to M&S website

country of manufacture...?? just like Amazon, why won`t these companies state the country of manufacture?

and yes, it is very important to me,, has been for some time...

craftyone Thu 30-Jul-20 10:11:36

I had cozee home from qvc, I got sucked into buying them. Sleeping in polyester fleece is very bad and they went to the charity shop pdq, were a complete waste of money

For winter I have pure cotton flannelette bedding, it is very cosy and I do treat it with care so they remain soft

PetitFromage Thu 30-Jul-20 10:15:11

polynan - I have looked at the label and they were made in Bangladesh, if that helps.

Riggie Thu 30-Jul-20 10:30:00

We have a pure cotton duvet cover and pillowcases from Ikea and are very haooybwith them. I do iron the pillow cases but ironing a king sized duvet cover is beyond me so I dont bother and it's fine. The crumples dont last long once you are using it!!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:39:13

I find that if you dry sheets outside they don't crease too badly.

I always buy the cheapest I can find, as long as they are 100% cotton.

Ikea have good quality sheets and duvet covers.